I'm so alone without my furry friend help needed...

scotexpat

I have been in Australia 11 months and now have my PR. I'm looking to send my cat over to be with me in Perth. I miss him so much and to be honest as a family we are totally lost without him. He is with my father who is doing a great job of looking after him but I so want him back with us so we can enjoy his great temperament and fun loving life.

I'm really worried he wont survive the flight though. Tom, my cat is 9 years old and got knocked down when he was 1 years old. Since then he is very fearful around cars, noise in general. He at times lives on his nerves. I'm worried he wont make the flight due to the noise and commotion around getting him in the create and the number of people that will man handle him. He doesn't take to people very easy either btw. i'm worried his heart will pack in with the trauma of flying.

Do you think its more humane to leave him in Scotland or bring him here to OZ with us?

Do you know if there is anyway I can get him chilled out in the cage that he pretty much doesn't know where he is and so wont care lol. I know they cant be sedated

Oh you poor thing, I was nearly in tears reading your post.

I wish I could say ' yes bring him, he'll be fine', if it was me I would speak to someone like Bob from Pet Air .... maybe he is best place to advise you, he is a vet, so really has more idea than I do.

I do hope he gives you something positive to look forward to.

Being without our pet is awful I was without our little one from March to May and it was awful.

​Good luck, do please keep me posted x x

Really feel for you, our beautiful cat Beth is 10 years old and she has gown up with my youngest daughter. When the insurance company said they wouldn't insure her. It made us think that we might be putting her under too much strain. We've been lucky in that my oldest friend and cat fanatic wanted her and this allowed us to say goodbye a few months before we left. Just this weekend I've had more tears from my youngest whilst staying with a friend who has a cat. Yesterday we also had to negotiate the pet shop with a couple of ridiculous Persian fluff balls. We are in rented accommodation and not allowed pets . I have promised once we have our new home and understand any rules of pet ownership in Oz then we may find ourselves a new personality to join us. Nothing replaces a loved pet, I can see that we can love another. I hope you find a way to either bring yours over or maybe look to find a new addition to your family. Best of luck ...

Tom is in a good home and is well looked after and whilst I have been led to believe the journey isn't anywhere near as traumatic for our pets as we imagine it to be, if he is of a particulalry nervous disposition why put him through it?

I think you get yourself along to Cat Haven in Shenton Park and adopt a very needy puss. Tom cannot be replaced I know, we left a 19 year old cat in the UK with a dear friend, but as a family we have come to love our rescus kitty here just as much, so much so that now we are transporting her back to the UK with us!

One thing to consider is how happy you are in Oz - 11 months isn't very long and if you are missing Tom so much maybe it's a sign of other homesickness? We did think getting another cat would help us settle - make our house a home but all that's happened is we have added $2500 onto the price of returning. The last thing you want to do is bring Tom out, only to want to return 3,4,5 years down the line.

Have a chat with Petair. My pepper is 10 and asthmatic and is flying with us. Petair are run by vets and will not put the animals at high risk. Of course there is a risk involved. I flew Pepper from Australia to England when I moved over 7 years ago and was the best thing ever. She settled really well and was her usual self within a few hours. I only hesitated this time due to her asthma but both my vet and pet air have said she can fly.

In the distant past I might have said bring him, but that was before I brought my own over and possibly if the only option was going to RSPCA or similar. Of course the vast majority will get over it and I expect Tom will too. But it is hard on a pet and it sounds like it could be especially hard on him, sounds like he is safe and happy. I think I would leave him and perhaps think about getting a new addition to the family over here?

It's really hard, but if he's happy in Scotland please do consider adopting a new furry friend locally! There are so many beautiful rescue cats and kittens in need of a loving home and it sounds like you're in need of some kitty love too!

I know it wouldn't be a replacement for Tom, but the organisations have info on the personalities of cats in their care so you get an idea how you'd get on :o)

I would definitely talk to Bob from PetAir, they are the only company I will trust with my dog to fly long-haul. I was really worried about my dog (she flies out end of next month) because she can be very aloof. In no way aggressive but she doesn't care much for people and I thought the prospect of people taking her from one place to another would be the worst part of the journey for her. Pet Air have reassured me so much and I trust them completely for dealing with all kinds of pet temperaments. I would talk to Pet Air about their experience in timid cats as they will know best.

That said, only you know what's best for your cat, and asking yourself whether it would be better for him out in Aus might be helpful. I have never shipped an animal so I can't draw from experience but I do think that a lot is possible with commitment to your pet.

We recently brought our 3 cats over, obviously we were worried how they would cope with everything flights, quarantine etc luckily our old boy 11 1/2 years old has coped fantastically and all 3 have settled in like they have been here all their lives. It is just my oh and I that are paranoid for them!

Before considering bringing ours we took advise from our vet whether he felt medically they would be capable,would it be worth seeking the advise of his vet and taking professional advise from the pet couriers as well? It's such a hard decision for you to make but obviously you are doing the right thing in taking the time to work out what is best for him first.

To be honest I think i would probably leave him where he is, i know its really hard but it sounds like you have doubts about wether he would cope with the journey if he is a very nervous cat. We have a very nervous dog who we would never of considered taking to aus if we had went, it wouldnt of been fair on him.

Talk to Bob the vet first though, no harm in that. Try not feel too upset, im sure hes having a great time at your dads house

My advice would be speak to Bob too. He has been transporting pets all over the world for a number of years. He is a lovely man and also a trained vet, so he knows what animals will withstand. We have gone through everything with him and we are both assured that our pooches will be in the best hands possible. When the pets are put into the crates, the crates are sprayed with the same hormone that their mothers would release to keep them calm. Sorry, I cannot remember the name of the spray that Bob said is used.

Having said this, you really know how Tom is and how he will cope. I remember reading that PetAir were going to start home visits to see the pets and talk to owners in person. Is this something that you could consider before making your decision. At least that way, Bob could see Tom and really assess whether he feels he would be OK for the journey or it would be kinder to leave him where he is.

Not an easy decision, but I am sure you will make the right one for Tom and your family :hug:

• 2 weeks later...

I have just commented on someone else's post about my 2 dogs. One confident 7 year jack Russell no problems flying or quarantine. But my 2 year old jack Russell who got nervouse with new situations, hated cars, scared of men and noise died 3 weeks after coming out of quarantine. We had debated leaving her in England but couldn't bear to leave and thought she would get over and forget the experience. I don't know why she died but can't help but think maybe it was to much for her to cope with and I put her through to much and often wish now that I left her with my neighbour who loved her as much as us.

I have just commented on someone else's post about my 2 dogs. One confident 7 year jack Russell no problems flying or quarantine. But my 2 year old jack Russell who got nervouse with new situations, hated cars, scared of men and noise died 3 weeks after coming out of quarantine. We had debated leaving her in England but couldn't bear to leave and thought she would get over and forget the experience. I don't know why she died but can't help but think maybe it was to much for her to cope with and I put her through to much and often wish now that I left her with my neighbour who loved her as much as us.

I remember your story, it was very sad. Please dont beat yourself up about it, you did what you thought was right. Im sure it wasnt that reason so try and not feel guilty

We planned to bring over our two cats. Both 12 so a tough decision. But in the end no other real options. Didn't want to put them back in a shelter.

One of them is really nervous. Has been all her life. We're proud we've calmed her down a bit and given her a stable home. But she died 3 weeks ago in a cattery waiting to come out. Was actually through petair but they have been great from start to finish; absolutely no bad feeling from our side there. Its possible she just couldn't cope; heart attack or something equally sudden. But for all we know could have happened if we went nowhere.

Other cat arrived in Oz last week, missus has been to see her and she's fine. Just waiting to get her home now.

My advice: if they're old-ish and settled with someone you trust, think carefully before moving them.

Archived