What's an acceptable indoor temperature?

Victoriagal

Crappy gas ducted heating system keeps switching off even though it says heat on! Just wondering if it has some 'Eco' level or something where it switches off at say 19/20 degrees as it never seems to get above this. OH says that's probably because the indoor should be 19 degrees not the 23 that I want....

so how warm do you like it and can you achieve it with your heating system?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ptp113
Crappy gas ducted heating system keeps switching off even though it says heat on! Just wondering if it has some 'Eco' level or something where it switches off at say 19/20 degrees as it never seems to get above this. OH says that's probably because the indoor should be 19 degrees not the 23 that I want....

so high warm do you like it and can you achieve it with your heating system?

​23 way to high, the bills would be frightening

​23 way to high, the bills would be frightening

Pretty much banking on it! The problem with open plan, single glazing and no curtains to draw it is impossible to keep the place warm. Especially on days like today when there is no sun. Off to get a beanie and a blanket!

In the UK we had central heating and used to have that argument - OH thought 18 was warm enough, I prefer 20. No central heating here, in fact no heating at all so no argument :)

I am very comfortable today, just checked and it's 22 degrees inside, it was down to 17 the other morning when it was only 6 degrees outside and that was just about bearable.

I'm finding that how warm or cold the house feels bears very little relation to what it says in the thermometer. Earlier it was 19.8 in our family room and felt freezing. Now it's 20.2 and feels quite pleasant.

I miss central heating and my gas fire. We have ducted reverse cycle air con in our rental but it's not the same. And costs a fortune to run. Can't wait to build our own house complete with two gas fires.

Usually around 20c for me.Not sure in Oz what our temp was as we had a woodburner and our house was fairly small so easy to keep cosy.Used to be on pretty much 24/7 though in winter.Here in the UK our GCH is set at around 20c which seems just right for us.

Guest Ptp113
I'm finding that how warm or cold the house feels bears very little relation to what it says in the thermometer. Earlier it was 19.8 in our family room and felt freezing. Now it's 20.2 and feels quite pleasant.

I miss central heating and my gas fire. We have ducted reverse cycle air con in our rental but it's not the same. And costs a fortune to run. Can't wait to build our own house complete with two gas fires.

Gas ducted is 30% more to run than latest ducted air. Initial purchase cheaper though.

We got stung last year on 21degs...this year we're down to 18.5 and have bought a little portable MICA panel heater for the odd times when it "feels" colder than it is.

They're a combo between convection and radiation, so retains some heat after you've switched off. Much cheaper to run than an oil rad, much lighter so you can move it around. Bunnings or Masters have them.

Try to only set the ducted heating up to 20. Set for 2 hours in the morning and from 6 to 10pm.

​My hope is to get some sun through the day which warms the house up until evening. Doesn't always work of course.

I always thought 20 deg was "normal" indoor setting, what offices, workplaces would be calibrating for. I have little to no control in my house, it is open plan over two levels and the ducted heating has little impact. Blankets and onesies are starting to come out.

I'm comfortable around 19 My wife likes 21, although we need central heating, a gas fire, double glazing, curtains and insulated curtain liners to achieve either!

Roll on the medicals & police checks!!

​seriously, don't expect to feel warmer inside in an Oz winter......

so how warm do you like it and can you achieve it with your heating system?

I was gonna say 20c before i read your OP lol. That's comfy for me. I'm quite a cold person so I sometimes wrap up too, i don't get to have the heating on as much as id like!

Guest Ptp113

Thats rubbish. Fix your abode, don't come on here and whinge. Every place we have has is toasty warm in winter, even at -8C. It isn't rocket science!

Guest chris955

Yes our place in Brisbane was freezing in the winter. I like anywhere between 15 and 20 indoors, toward the lower end preferably.

Guest chris955
It's not rubbish and I'm not whinging. So many houses here are absolutely crap at handling winter temperatures, other posts on this thread from people less biased than you say it all

I agree, there are many many posts saying the exact same thing.

Insulating my house? Where would I start: roof needs sarking first. Then loft insulation. Then the walls would need cavity insulation. The doors need replacing, as would the windows. The underfloor would also need insulation. The hot water tank would need to come in from the garden as well. Might as well knock down and rebuild. Anyone lend me $180K? lol.

Guest chris955

Exactly the point, to have made our house warm would have cost more than the house was worth. Our friends houses were the same.

Guest Ptp113
It's not rubbish and I'm not whinging. So many houses here are absolutely crap at handling winter temperatures, other posts on this thread from people less biased than you say it all

Bollox. Lazy poms need to get off their backsides and fix their abode(s). Who do they think is going to do it, Mickey Mouse??

Archived