whats butler like

jonandsarah

Of course there is postcode 'snobbery' in Perth, why else is the median house price in Peppermint Grove over $2m? And to buy a very similar house in the road parallel to mine would cost around $200k more, why because that's Fremantle and we're in Cockburn. I'm definitely not a postcode snob and was quite happy to spend $200k less :) I personally wouldn't have spent another $200k less and lived in Butler - not because I'm a snob, when we visited I wouldn't have known Butler from Peppermint Grove!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear what have I done. I dont come from a high rise council estate but I do come from the south wales valleys a little place called beddau its not the best area in the world but affordable. SI do like the newer modern house and wang to work around my daughters schooling moving to oz is for us about making a better life for her shes my world. Hubby has accepted a job as a panel beater in jonduloop so we want something affordable clean and bright with a good commute to work for him so I guess I will have a look and consider butler where I live now shows I am not a postcode snob. Thanks for all the info sorry I ended up causing an argument

Sarah

Guest guest30085
Oh dear what have I done. I dont come from a high rise council estate but I do come from the south wales valleys a little place called beddau its not the best area in the world but affordable. SI do like the newer modern house and wang to work around my daughters schooling moving to oz is for us about making a better life for her shes my world. Hubby has accepted a job as a panel beater in jonduloop so we want something affordable clean and bright with a good commute to work for him so I guess I will have a look and consider butler where I live now shows I am not a postcode snob. Thanks for all the info sorry I ended up causing an argument

Sarah

You didn't cause the argument, some would argue with a paper bag if they thought the paper bag didnt agree with them ;)

Then they would go and argue with their own shadow, it's the nature of some posters on forums :)

Edited by guest30085

butler is a nice enough suburb my daughter built up there my only gripe with it is in the mornings on marmion the traffic @#$%^.also look in carramar , tapping , ashby, sinagra , they are off wanneroo rd and it would only take a short time to get to joondalup

Sarah

Don't bother yourself it's the nature of the beast. Folk can be rather defensive of their locality here with housing being a very big deal indeed.

You just settle for what's best in your circumstances and check out the field when on site. Lots of things to consider and a forum will give you an idea just how complicated the subject is asking for such an opinion as living in a specific area.

i never meant that butler was full of brits in a bad way ! its good if u dont know any1 cos u will get to meet easier

i am from port talbot so not too far from where u are , and we have settled really well

good luck if u need any help pm me as i aint getting involved in the arguments

Sarah

Hi Sarah

have sent you a pm

Its miles away from life unless your a lizzard

It takes the same time from London to the south coast as it does from Butler to Perth.

Nothing there but sand and wierd shaped houses - the houses inside are just odd most of them.

We looked at a few and quicly concluded there's nothing there

I know if I had of moved there I would have moved back to the UK already. If your new stay as close to Perth city centre as possible as that's where everything is. After a year then consider a move a little further out.

Its miles away from life unless your a lizzard

It takes the same time from London to the south coast as it does from Butler to Perth.

Nothing there but sand and wierd shaped houses - the houses inside are just odd most of them.

We looked at a few and quicly concluded there's nothing there

I know if I had of moved there I would have moved back to the UK already. If your new stay as close to Perth city centre as possible as that's where everything is. After a year then consider a move a little further out.

You can get from Butler to Perth in 40 mins by car and probably about the same on public transport. It could take you a day to get off the M25 in London.

It's about 10 mins to Joondalup which has everything you would probably need.

The houses, compared to the average terrace in the UK would seem like mansions.

It's close to some gorgeous beaches and not too far to Yanchep if you like parks and wildlife.

On the plus side for new suburbs they may look dry and dusty when they are first built but the trees and bush seems to grow very quickly. When we moved here the freeway stopped at Hepburn Ave, Beaumaris and Iluka were the equivalent of Butler in that they were new suburbs, streets and lighting done, couple of new houses on empty streets and empty lots. They now look like established suburbs and you would need a lot of money to move into either.

I've not been but heard some bad reports that its quite rough in places. Nicer further South especially nearer beach but prices rise!

Probably only short journey to Joondalup tho as all traffic is nearer Perth. Mitchell Freeway is like M25 in places.

For maybe 2 hrs a day. Even then it still moves slowly. I worked in London in the 80's and the M25 was a nightmare then. Can't imagine it's improved.

The OP is going to be working in Joondalup so travel time to Perth is not that relevant.

I agree though that 40 mins is unrealistic if you work standard hours, driving it can take me longer than that from Fremantle which is half the distance. By train I allow an hour - 15 mins to drive to station and park, 5 min wait, 30 min on train and then 10 min walk to office.

You can probably do Joondalup in 40 min!

My impression in a word dull and souless. Only visited for a look around though. Did kind of wonder just what sort of area folk must have left behind to find Butler a desirable area to decamp. Each to their own.
sorry but is that not two words?

What's butler like... Well if you've never been to Australia imagine this.... In the UK we have wimpey homes.. Now picture thousands of these homes side by side, mile after mile.. No shops,pubs,restraunts In between.. Just house after house after house. And then the odd park here and there. Your 45km out of the city and absolutely nothing to do up there unless you want to spend your entire life on a beach or a lifeless park. As for joondalup 20 minutes down the road .... A shopping center with what I can only describe as a place where all the shops are like peacocks in the UK. God it's awful in there.

Once you have been here 2 years you can claim benefits and get a house in Butler for free!

Mad Cow's comment to your post was the word 'pathetic'. She is obviously a very polite lady.

I would think that 'you stuck up ponce' or 'rude, ignorant and condescending ponce' would be more appropriate.

Let me guess that you arrived at an exchange rate far in excess of today. Also you managed to sell up in the UK before the harsh realities of the current housing market came and destroyed many peoples one and only asset.

And yes I lived on a council estate in Westminster, London as a kid. Did me no harm. Certainly ensured that my perspective on life was well grounded and that I did not have to look down my nose at others to feel good and get a hard on.

Congratulations on becoming the newest member of the 'Holier Than Thou' club, here at PomsinOz. You will be pleased to know that you are in with some other 'very classy' members. Enjoy!

LOL! Your not very good at guessing are you? Well actually i arrived 9 months ago got a crap exchange rate and lost around £100K on my UK properties and currently earn less money than i did in the UK. Still does not make me like butler any more though i am sorry. Touched a bit of a nerve have I not?

Guest Guest26012
LOL! Your not very good at guessing are you? Well actually i arrived 9 months ago got a crap exchange rate and lost around £100K on my UK properties and currently earn less money than i did in the UK. Still does not make me like butler any more though i am sorry. Touched a bit of a nerve have I not?

Ah good post! That makes you an expert then! :rolleyes: