whats butler like

jonandsarah

hi there we move april 25th can anyone tell me abit about butler is this area suitable for a family in our 30's with a 6 year old daughter who is into gymnastics and will be looking to continue when we get out there. what kind of commuite is it to jondualup.

Cheers

Sarah

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

butler is known as little britain as there is so many brits here

you can get a train from clarkson into joondalup in 5 mins and by car its prob about 15 , but to be honest most places u go u have to drive so its not much diff driving 5/20

its gonna be down to personal choice at the end of the day , im from the uk but butler is a bit too far north for me

Bob1's picture of the rooves is only one bit of what Butler is like. Under those rooves are prob 4 x 2 houses with a garage and some will have a pool. It's a new estate and area hence no vegetation. The developers just go through with massive earthmovers and rip up every bit of vegetation and then build away. Takes a few years for things to grow back. There will be parks a plenty around and it's not far from the coast.

Depending on where you are coming from it might seem like paradise. Have a look on google maps and see what it's like around the parks. Cheeck a few streets out you like the look of.

There are lots of other suburbs a bit older and a bit more established around Joondalup that you might like. Good luck.

butler is known as little britain as there is so many brits here

you can get a train from clarkson into joondalup in 5 mins and by car its prob about 15 , but to be honest most places u go u have to drive so its not much diff driving 5/20

its gonna be down to personal choice at the end of the day , im from the uk but butler is a bit too far north for me

butler is luvly ! but port talbot is a different story

Guest chris955

I had a look on Google maps and it looks like another big souless estate full of featureless houses. Look at older well established areas. We had similar estates near us in Brisbane and they really are cold sterile places.

Bob1's picture of the rooves is only one bit of what Butler is like. Under those rooves are prob 4 x 2 houses with a garage and some will have a pool. It's a new estate and area hence no vegetation. The developers just go through with massive earthmovers and rip up every bit of vegetation and then build away. Takes a few years for things to grow back. There will be parks a plenty around and it's not far from the coast.

Depending on where you are coming from it might seem like paradise. Have a look on google maps and see what it's like around the parks. Cheeck a few streets out you like the look of.

There are lots of other suburbs a bit older and a bit more established around Joondalup that you might like. Good luck.

Agree with what everyone else has said, sales are obviously flagging there as there was an article on it in the local property paper bigging it up as a place for families and featuring an Australian couple who had moved from a city apartment out there when they had children.

We visited on our reccie and it almost changed our mind on moving to Perth, it's the only place here I have seen chavs (as opposed to Bogan's)

On the plus size you can get a stunning house for under $500k - in Duncraig you'd get a renovation project for that money ( I know because that was our budget and we went to home opens in both) and it would be good for commuting to Joondalup.

Much nicer places IMHO -I'm not NOR so not that familiar but I have a friend in Currumbine which is still very suburban but has a much nicer feel.

It will improve over time and trees will grow. I visited some people in Butler and they had a 4 X2 and a pool - but the block was the standard size for Buler which meant that the houses are built within a metre of the boundary fence and the back yard is so small that once you put a pool in there is not room for kids to play. these guys had a dog - the backyard was fenced of pool and a few pavers - it just had to wee and poo on the pavers while they were out at work during the day. Job every night was to hose to it down (and avoid it going into the pool!)

cheers just trying to do some research whilst taking the edge of the nerves of everything not going too good though right now feel sick with nerves

I've been there and done that - it's hard but try to go with the flow. You don't need to know which suburb you are going to live in before you arrive! Book a holiday rental for at least a month (a caravan if you can't afford a house!) and start looking at rentals - some will be awful (many people buy run down houses purely for the land value and then rent them out), some will be fantastic and you'll hate the location and eventually you'll find 'the one' - there are o er 200 suburbs in Perth most never get a mention on here because the number of Brits living there is smaller so keep your mind open - and look at all the areas commuting distance from Joondalup. Everyone likes different things and compared to the UK there are no truly 'bad' estates in Perth so you can't go far wrong. If your daughter is going to go to a public school then that should be a consideration - that is why we looked at Duncraig but there was no way I could have given up the house I had to live in what we could afford there. In the end we decided to choose a private school ($4k a year) and then we could live somewhere affordable.

It will improve over time and trees will grow. I visited some people in Butler and they had a 4 X2 and a pool - but the block was the standard size for Buler which meant that the houses are built within a metre of the boundary fence and the back yard is so small that once you put a pool in there is not room for kids to play. these guys had a dog - the backyard was fenced of pool and a few pavers - it just had to wee and poo on the pavers while they were out at work during the day. Job every night was to hose to it down (and avoid it going into the pool!)

That's a typical block in Perth these days - ours is 450m and builders couldn't understand why we wanted to build a two storey house on a 'big' block - because we'd like a garden!! Anytime a house on a full block comes up in our area, a developer buys it and builds 3 on it.

Guest chris955
That's a typical block in Perth these days - ours is 450m and builders couldn't understand why we wanted to build a two storey house on a 'big' block - because we'd like a garden!! Anytime a house on a full block comes up in our area, a developer buys it and builds 3 on it.

I am amazed what is considered a typical block nowadays, our place in Brisbane was 1050m and it was getting very common to subdivide and have 2 houses on 500 each and they were described as big blocks. I remember seeing a house on a sub 400m block.

We have also been looking at Butler, read a few different forums and so far what I've discovered is that, it's affordable housing with a lot of ex pats with young kids, new build suburbia, but to be honest that would suit us down to the ground, as we are also 30's with a 6 year old son. I also had a look at the schools too and seem ok. I get the impression Butler is in early developing stages although there are lots of houses built, so may be up and coming.

Guest Guest26012

Right! It's not a soulless place! We built here three years ago, it's got parks and shops schools etc, just like any other suburb! The houses here are selling before home opens at the moment! Little Britain makes me bloody laugh tbh! There are all nationalities in butler! And we didn't come from a high rise flat in the uk, how bloody insulting!!!!! Trying to make this thread more balanced for the op! And even if there are Brits living here, welcome to friggin Perth!!!!

Guest Guest26012
I am amazed so many Brits go to Butler. I just can't see the attraction with it all?? Maybe if you lived in a high rise flat in a council estate in the UK its a nice place. Yes its near the beach but so is all of Perth really. Hell so is most of populated OZ!

How bloody insulting! We didn't come from a high rise flat in a council estate! It's so wrong of you to say that! Just remember there are members on here that live there! Blatant bloody snobbery!

Guest Guest26012
OK its a lovely place with a short commute to Perth, Big blocks, Great schools, Great transport links and no social housing. Is that better?

Dont even bother now! There are nice schools! It is a nice place! It has its bad bits like any other suburb! Now go back to your lovely suburb and wallow in your unhelpful and insulting comments!

Guest chris955

No point getting defensive, if you like it that is all that matters. Its not the kind of place I would live for the reasons I gave but for others it is perfect. With any of these things opinions will be totally polarised.