I.m moving to caberra...anyone else?

Hayley Jayne Molloy

Hi, my family and I are moving to Canberra in June, i would love to catch up/chat with anyone else who is doing so? We have a permenant visa, my husband will be working as a paramedic, we have two beautiful 4year old twin girls. Would be great to share this experience with other families doing the same and to make new friends :0) x

Edited by Hayley Jayne Molloy
correct spelling errors :0)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bazinga

Hi, we are here already but love it. Have you looked at areas to live/daycare/preschool etc yet? Lots of info on the board. I know a couple of ladies from here with similarly aged twins too who are both really friendly so just pm me if you like :)

Hi, thanks for getting in touch, we are looking at kaleen and Aranda because their schools appears to be good, but any advice you could offer would be great. Re other ladies with twins too, would love to have their advice too, i was going to see if they have some sort or twin club? My girls love playing with their twin friends here in the uK, it would be nice to make new ones. Pleased to also hear your loving it. How long have you been there?

Hi, thanks for getting in touch, we are looking at kaleen and Aranda because their schools appears to be good, but any advice you could offer would be great. Re other ladies with twins too, would love to have their advice too, i was going to see if they have some sort or twin club? My girls love playing with their twin friends here in the uK, it would be nice to make new ones. Pleased to also hear your loving it. How long have you been there?

Hi there, I'm one of the ladies with twins. I've got 3 year old b/g twins and we moved to Canberra when they were 4 months old. My husband is a Canberran though so it was coming home from him.

I'm an active member of CARMBA (Canberra and Region Multiple Birth Association) and I'll drop you a PM with more details about it. There's a few others who migrated here over the last couple of years who also have twins. :biggrin:

Hi, me and my family are moving to Canberra in June, i would love to catch up with anyone else who is doing so? We have a permenant visa, my husband will be working as a paramedic, we have two beautiful 4year old twin girls. Would be great to share this experience with other familores doing the same and to make new friends :0) x

Hi there,

We are moving to Canberra in April also PR and my wife will have a holiday for a couple of weeks and come back in August with our 5 year old boy as I will start work in April. Looking to stay in the north around Forde and Bonner areas as i will have at least 4 months on my own. Keep us posted and once the wife arrives back in August we could share experiences!!!

Canberra is rapidly becoming the new Perth for pom migrants, it was inevitable. Far better facilities and shopping/food options than Perth for starters.

According to statistics I've read there are very few "pommies" going to ACT, shame you seem to be a pommie basher but I'm on the way and cant wait!!!

I'll continue to 'educate' the pommy wallies, of which there are many on this forum. Let's hope you ain't one?

Capiche

Hi we have just begun the process, must admit Canberra was not our first option more because its a way in- BUT- we have fallen in love with the idea having read, watched and researched ALOT about Canberra. Hoping, all being well, to come over on a 190 next year. We have 3 children, 8, 5 and 20 mths. Was hoping to chat to a few people who are already there, going soon or just starting the process.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope the move goes well for you. We have been here for a year so far and loving it so far. We have been lucky to hook up with a gang off here and we all seemed to have clicked (could be alcohol related!!) it's tough moving to the other side of the world but it will eventually feel like home :-)

if you are looking at Forde/bonner there are a few poms living there always handy to have people nearby for a cuppa/glass of wine and advice.

Most people seem to be in the same boat with kids and understand how hard it can be to get out and meet people when you are doing the school run and after school activities.

If you need a hand with anything or advise (don't know how relevant my response might be :-) but just ask :-)

Hi there, i have just commenced gathering info for skills assessment but hope to everything sorted this year (190 visa)and make a move to Canberra. We live in rural Ireland so Canberra is the ideal for us and our 3 boys. Schools seem good and along with college and Uni. I have looked at jobs too for my occupation and I don't think we'll have a problem there (fingers crossed). Have applied for a few and have been told to get in contact when we arrive! What stage are you at just now with the process and are you using an agent?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding it a really long process. It's the waiting on promised references that is holding us up! I'm gonna have to give them a push along.Hoping by the end of Easter to have everything ready! I'm very excited for you let me know how you get on! Hope it doesn't take too long for an answer!

Hello All,

I just received my PR & plan on moving to Canberra with my wife ( we are state sponsored 190 ) so just want to confirm if taking abt 10k aud would suffice till we find jobs ? Also if anyone knows of any cheap affordable location & housing such as home stays etc till we are able to get on our own feet ? Also if possible any recommended recruitment agents as I am a Credit & Collections Analyst.

Much Appreciated !!!

Samuel Healy

Hello All,

I just received my PR & plan on moving to Canberra with my wife ( we are state sponsored 190 ) so just want to confirm if taking abt 10k aud would suffice till we find jobs ? Also if anyone knows of any cheap affordable location & housing such as home stays etc till we are able to get on our own feet ? Also if possible any recommended recruitment agents as I am a Credit & Collections Analyst.

Much Appreciated !!!

Samuel Healy

if you are buying a car then you will have to be frugal with that. I know of families who have gone through that in 3 weeks - temp accommodation, bond for rental, setting up communications, buying car, setting up insurances etc. I thought ACT needed to see you had $25k plus ? For eac dependent as part of the visa process. Of course £10k will get you further than $10k

Hi all, we leave for Canberra on 27th April, my husbands work will provide temp accommodation for the first month then we will be looking to rent in Forde, Harrison or Bonner areas. We have an 8 year old daughter and I'm hoping to get her settled into school as soon as possible.

Hi all, we leave for Canberra on 27th April, my husbands work will provide temp accommodation for the first month then we will be looking to rent in Forde, Harrison or Bonner areas. We have an 8 year old daughter and I'm hoping to get her settled into school as soon as possible.

Hi Rachhart - we are arriving on the 10th May in Canberra, staying at one of the cities hotels for the first 10 days. We have a 9 year old daughter aswell as a 7 year old boy and are also planning to look at the areas you mentioned. Bonner also has a new primary school which I am interested to learn more about. It would be great to hear how you get on when you arrive.