I.m moving to caberra...anyone else?

Hayley Jayne Molloy

Yes bring as much money as possible cos Canberra aint cheap ...... Kaleen and Aranda and not that nice to be honest (hope I haven't offended anyone on here) - I have a friend lives at Kaleen and it's really not that nice - she is looking to move.

I think Kaleen and Giralang are very underrated and both have some fabulous houses and great parkland. Kaleen's got two shopping areas and both have supermarkets, plus the access is fabulous for each of Belconnen, Gungahlin and Civic.

I thought it was a pretty bland place initially, but you have to get off the main drag and look round corners in Canberra.

Aranda's a bush suburb, lots of trees, few footpaths, pretty exclusive but it's a spit away from the City. Some of the houses are a bit old but the ambience feels pretty good if you know the right streets; property is hard to come by though because it's snapped up fast and it's not cheap.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Kaleen and Giralang are very underrated and both have some fabulous houses and great parkland. Kaleen's got two shopping areas and both have supermarkets, plus the access is fabulous for each of Belconnen, Gungahlin and Civic.

I thought it was a pretty bland place initially, but you have to get off the main drag and look round corners in Canberra. .

See I'm the opposite here. Give me Holt any day of the week over Giralang or Kaleen. Kaleen Plaza isn't that nice a shopping centre and pretty limited. I find the community vibe seems more in West Belconnen with shops, playgroups, library etc.

Of course, I was in the area as a SAHM with two young babies, if I were working full time with transport then it would be different I expect.

I rarely go to Gungahlin these days and don't miss it either :D

See I'm the opposite here. Give me Holt any day of the week over Giralang or Kaleen.

I agree, I find Holt to be an established leafy suburb with a great green strip and oval. The shops are still in business and the former primary school has already been redeveloped (rather than been left to fall down). :wubclub:

• 2 weeks later...

I have just moved to Canberra on April 19th 2013, living in Amaroo. I have 3 kids age 4.5, 3 and 3 months. We moved from Bury St Edmunds. My hubby is working over here. We have PR after a long visa application process!! Would love to meet some other people also making the move! Claire

Miffy1103

Hi! You replied to my post earlier! but can't seem to find it!! if you want to meet up in Gunghalin send me a Private Message....? Thanks Claire x

Edited by calNgary
removed email addy

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I will be coming to Canberra on a holiday working visa as a hairdresser, I have a job set up when I arrive and they have offered me sponsorship, but as this is my fist time to Aus I want to see if I like it first. Very scared but none the less I'm excited. Is there any advice any Canberra residents could give me, like getting around, nice places to live, fitting in etc.

thanks

Mark

Guest Ptp113
Hi guys, I will be coming to Canberra on a holiday working visa as a hairdresser, I have a job set up when I arrive and they have offered me sponsorship, but as this is my fist time to Aus I want to see if I like it first. Very scared but none the less I'm excited. Is there any advice any Canberra residents could give me, like getting around, nice places to live, fitting in etc.

thanks

Mark

Car or motorbike is mandatory transport wise

Car or motorbike is mandatory transport wise

Thanks for the reply, I don't drive do that will be out of the question :-s ill be working in Kingston so does anyone know any suburbs within a reasonable commuting distance that would be great :-)

Thanks guys

Guest Ptp113
Thanks for the reply, I don't drive do that will be out of the question :-s ill be working in Kingston so does anyone know any suburbs within a reasonable commuting distance that would be great :-)

Thanks guys

I'd seriously reconsider moving here unless you are willing to learn to drive. Canberra is 40 kms end to end a d much of the good stuff is outside that part with zero public transport. OK if you want a hermit like existence I guess

I'd seriously reconsider moving here unless you are willing to learn to drive. Canberra is 40 kms end to end a d much of the good stuff is outside that part with zero public transport. OK if you want a hermit like existence I guess

Or you are a fanatical cyclist!

I have just moved to Canberra on April 19th 2013, living in Amaroo. I have 3 kids age 4.5, 3 and 3 months. We moved from Bury St Edmunds. My hubby is working over here. We have PR after a long visa application process!! Would love to meet some other people also making the move! Claire

Bit of a change from Bury isn't it?

Wow unfriendly much ! um I don't want to live like a hermit but its my best op for a job and its a close flight to Melbourne and Sydney were I have friends , by the sounds of it if everyone is as patronising as you ill find my own way round or learn to drive when I'm there

Wow unfriendly much ! um I don't want to live like a hermit but its my best op for a job and its a close flight to Melbourne and Sydney were I have friends , by the sounds of it if everyone is as patronising as you ill find my own way round or learn to drive when I'm there

Don't take it personally, he's like that with everyone! However, there is an element of truth in what he says - Canberra is quite tricky if you don't have transport TBH. Learning to drive in Canberra could be a bit tricky too - not sure if they do the straight test any more or whether its all log book - in which case you have to engage in a significant number of hours of supervised practice over a wide range of driving conditions which would be hard if you (a) didn't have a car and (b) have someone constantly able to supervise you. Any chance you could pass your test before you arrive then you'd just have to display P plates.

The area you will be working is replete with apartments and facilities so on a working day basis you should be able to find somewhere - I wouldn't go too far afield TBH, there's much more young person buzz in that area than if you head out to the suburbs. Catch 22 of course is that a lot are fancy new apartments with fancy new rental prices but you might score a flat share if you suss out Gumtree

Thank you Quoll , I'm nervous enough I just thought that forum member was a little insensitive and arsey, I'm just trying to find out some info and trying to make things easier for me I'm working full time anyway so as long as I can get to work I'm not bothered , I leave in 4 weeks so driving is out of the question , not that I mind I can hop buses etc etc to get sumwere not bothered how long it takes , it's an adventure , thank you for the help with apartments , I'd like a flat share ill be in the yha hostel for the 1st two weeks until I find my feet:-) I'm pretty self sufficient so ill find something I'm sure , I'm so excited to experience it !

Mark

Guest Ptp113

Thank you Quoll , I'm nervous enough I just thought that forum member was a little insensitive and arsey, I'm just trying to find out some info and trying to make things easier for me I'm working full time anyway so as long as I can get to work I'm not bothered , I leave in 4 weeks so driving is out of the question , not that I mind I can hop buses etc etc to get sumwere not bothered how long it takes , it's an adventure , thank you for the help with apartments , I'd like a flat share ill be in the yha hostel for the 1st two weeks until I find my feet:-) I'm pretty self sufficient so ill find something I'm sure , I'm so excited to experience it !

Mark

There are no buses etc to get to many of the best places. You need some form of transport of your own!

Mark

We have a car, but I rely on buses during the week to get to work and between office locations around Belconnen and Civic. I find the service to be decent and cheap ($2.60ish for a single ticket). I can even ride or walk to the office (which was never an option in the UK). That said, I wouldn't want to try getting a BBQ home from the shops on public transport. If you're in Kingston, there's plenrty of shops, bars, appartments and you're very central anyway.

Don't let the arsey member get you down - as Quoll says he's just like that.

We have a car, but I rely on buses during the week to get to work and between office locations around Belconnen and Civic. I find the service to be decent and cheap ($2.60ish for a single ticket). I can even ride or walk to the office (which was never an option in the UK). That said, I wouldn't want to try getting a BBQ home from the shops on public transport. If you're in Kingston, there's plenrty of shops, bars, appartments and you're very central anyway.

That's fantastic I'd like to be able to travel to Kingston if there is a cheaper suburb , I'm a quiet lad into my work ( hairstylist) so I'm not up for all the hype as such if I want it I can go find it I suppose, I had opp to go to Melbourne where my mate is but something really attracts me to Canberra and I want Australia to be my own experience and not through the eyes of my mates , I'd hopefully like to settle and been offered sponsorship however I've never been so I shall see if I like it first ! Thanks again for being so kind

That's fantastic I'd like to be able to travel to Kingston if there is a cheaper suburb

There's plenty of cheaper suburbs. When I arrived in Canberra, I was lucky enough to have a 'relocation consulant' provided to me by (http://www.auslocate.com.au/) by my employer. First thing she did, was take me for cofee in Kingston. Once she heard my budget for rental she told 'well you'll definitely only be coming here for coffee!'. She was great fun to work with tho.

Check out the Action Buses map, to get an idea of which suburbs have a direct service to Kingston: http://www.action.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/330479/ACTION_BusMap2013_weekday.pdf

You can look for flat shares here: http://au.easyroommate.com/australian-capital-territory/canberra-share-accommodation

Guest Ptp113

Yes I get straight to the point and I don't waffle as poms do

Edited by sprintman
Grammar

Mark

You'll be fine but you will encounter the odd arsey one or two. This isn't exactly where you want to be but if you get a bike it'd be very do-able http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/city/flatshare-houseshare/room-with-black-mountain-city-view-the-apartment-/1010357555. Enjoy the adventure!