I.m moving to caberra...anyone else?

Hayley Jayne Molloy

Hi Rachhart - we are arriving on the 10th May in Canberra, staying at one of the cities hotels for the first 10 days. We have a 9 year old daughter aswell as a 7 year old boy and are also planning to look at the areas you mentioned. Bonner also has a new primary school which I am interested to learn more about. It would be great to hear how you get on when you arrive.

Hope your move goes well, I will update when we arrive and let you know any helpful info that you might be interested in. A guy my husband will be working with has just relocated from Sydney to canberra and has enrolled his children in the new school in Bonner so I am also interested to know more about it (I also like the look of the school in Harrison).

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rachhart - Forde just came out on top of a list of the best suburbs to live in Canberra.

Actually it came out top of survey that considered the resident's "access to material and social resources, and their ability to participate in society."

"The measures used included resident's level of education, the number of bedrooms in their home, whether they were seperated or divorced or did not speak English well.

Whether residents were employed as professionals or managers, and their educational attainment also contributed to the score."

There was no comment as to whether it was a good place to live.

Hello All,

I just received my PR & plan on moving to Canberra with my wife ( we are state sponsored 190 ) so just want to confirm if taking abt 10k aud would suffice till we find jobs ? Also if anyone knows of any cheap affordable location & housing such as home stays etc till we are able to get on our own feet ? Also if possible any recommended recruitment agents as I am a Credit & Collections Analyst.

Much Appreciated !!!

Samuel Healy

You could try the big companies in the city such as ACTEW AGL.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. MY wife and I are moving to Canberra at end of Jun/start of July. We are a couple in our mid 30s and have two children. Will is 2.5 and Maddie is 1 in July. Would be great to meet with people already in Canberra, or due to get there soon.

Actually it came out top of survey that considered the resident's "access to material and social resources, and their ability to participate in society."

"The measures used included resident's level of education, the number of bedrooms in their home, whether they were seperated or divorced or did not speak English well.

Whether residents were employed as professionals or managers, and their educational attainment also contributed to the score."

There was no comment as to whether it was a good place to live.

I loved the idea of Forde, but when i went there it just didn't sit right. Narrow streets, denser housing, tiny gardens...you'd put up with that and the lack of mature trees if it were closer to the City, but not that far out.

Guest Ptp113
I loved the idea of Forde, but when i went there it just didn't sit right. Narrow streets, denser housing, tiny gardens...you'd put up with that and the lack of mature trees if it were closer to the City, but not that far out.

No way we'd live there

Hope your move goes well, I will update when we arrive and let you know any helpful info that you might be interested in. A guy my husband will be working with has just relocated from Sydney to canberra and has enrolled his children in the new school in Bonner so I am also interested to know more about it (I also like the look of the school in Harrison).

H there, just reading this thread añd wanted to offer some info. We moved from Ireland to Canberra in November. Settled in Harrison with 3 kids 6,3 and 18 months. Just wanted to say my 6 yr old in the local catholic school in Harrison and its excellent! Harrison not hugely exciting but I would be reluctant to move because of the schooling.

Be delighted to help any nèw comers to Canberra please get in touch if I can help.

Bring lots of money btw- it's very expensive!

Hi Miffy1103, thank for writing and you tips, we leave in 6 weeks, so all crazy here as you can imagine, but excited too. We are stopping with family friends when we arrive ad going to make use of the first few weeks looking at suburbs/schools and finding where we like and would like to rent, we keep your details and maybe toucvh base with you when i arrive? hayley

Yes bring as much money as possible cos Canberra aint cheap ...... Kaleen and Aranda and not that nice to be honest (hope I haven't offended anyone on here) - I have a friend lives at Kaleen and it's really not that nice - she is looking to move. Forde is one of the new areas and there are some nice houses there, still a bit sterile as not much greenery etc but its nice enough, Bonner much the same. I live about 5 mins from there in Nicholls which is absolutely stunning, all set around the golf course, very green (bright red trees at the moment), 5 mins to Gungahlin shops (your main shopping area), Library etc and IMO knocks spots off all the new estates.

Kaleen and Aranda and not that nice to be honest (hope I haven't offended anyone on here)

I've never understood what makes Aranda a premium suburb other than proximity to Radford / CHS. Not a big fan of any of the east of the lake Belconnen suburbs either.

Guest Ptp113
I've never understood what makes Aranda a premium suburb other than proximity to Radford / CHS. Not a big fan of any of the east of the lake Belconnen suburbs either.

Go for a drive in Aranda off the main drag, then you'll understand. Kaleen has some very nice big houses too, just not on the main drag.

Go for a drive in Aranda off the main drag, then you'll understand. Kaleen has some very nice big houses too, just not on the main drag.

I have.. To be honest I find nearly all the established suburbs lovely to look at, I just don't understand why some of them command silly prices for comparitive housing? What makes Aranda average a $1M when houses on the hill in Macquarie don't?

I think you're being a little unfair on Macquarie - and missing my point. A 3 bed ex-govie in Macquaire will cost you a $150k more than one in Page or Florey, which are on a few k's away. Really there is little difference between them. To me, Aranda is a noisey suburb next to Gunghalin drive, with no shops of its own and a derelict building at it's heart - so what is premium being paid for?

Guest Ptp113
I think you're being a little unfair on Macquarie - and missing my point. A 3 bed ex-govie in Macquaire will cost you a $150k more than one in Page or Florey, which are on a few k's away. Really there is little difference between them. To me, Aranda is a noisey suburb next to Gunghalin drive, with no shops of its own and a derelict building at it's heart - so what is premium being paid for?

Location, location, location.

I know where it is. I am genuinely keen to understand what people like about the suburb. It sounds like you like it, can you tell me what you like about it? Is not a trick question. :wubclub:

Primary school has a good rep, very much a bush suburb with some nice houses, proximity to Civic and ease of access down to Woden and very little social housing. Admittedly it did get its rep before the GDE but I wouldn't think that had depressed land values or desirability at all. It's close enough to Jammo to almost take it as its own centre even though Macquarie owns it technically.

Proximity to Civic is the usual yardstick along with the social housing profile IMHO. I wouldn't mind living in Aranda (except I live much closer to Civic and wouldn't want to move!)

Guest Ptp113
I know where it is. I am genuinely keen to understand what people like about the suburb. It sounds like you like it, can you tell me what you like about it? Is not a trick question. :wubclub:

Location, bushland, no chavs, nice houses, location.

Guest Ptp113
What a carefully reasoned and thought out argument you make.

​Most get it. I'm to busy to extrapolate

Edited by ali