Moving from Perth to Melbourne. Has anyone done it

Aussie Hopeful

Hi all,

Just wanted some thoughts on making the move from Perth to Melbourne and wondered if anyone had done it.

We arrived in perth 6 months ago and to be honest, we have found it utterly boring, backwards, full of chavs and bogans, a nightmare to get around if you haven't got a car, too hot, barren, rubbish shops and ridiculously expensive. (However, the beaches and parks are nice). We don't see a return to the UK as an option and want to give Melbourne a go. We are coming out to have a look around in March to see what we think. We are looking for somewhere that just has a bit more soul and things going on.

Has anyone made the move before and found it to be better (I know this is completely subjective) and also what are the employment prospects? I am working as an RTO manager in Perth and from what I can see, there are plenty of similar jobs out there.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I grew up in Melbourne, love it.. it keeps winning that award as the worlds best city, its got a lot going on, I just wish it wasnt so expensive (but I think its cheaper than Perth now). I have never understood why so many English go to Perth, is it just because its a little closer to home? It is so isolated from the rest of Australia.

Good luck on the move over East .. what area do you live in> I guess this post will be helpful to remind people to do their research before coming over as all parts of Aus are different and you really need to think about which will fit/meet your lifestyle.

Good luck with your move over. Join up with the Life in Victoria forum there are a lot of members who now live here and some have made the move recently, they will be able to give you their views on where to live etc. Those of us who have lived here for a long long time have different coloured glasses lol. The link to the other forum is at the foot of this one.

Its a shame Perth has not suited but we are all different, my cousin used to live over here in Melbourne but returned to his family in Perth when starting his own family.

Good luck

I imagine many people choose Perth for the weather. Melbourne does get proper cold in the winter. I visited my mate in Melbourne in September and when I stepped off the plane I thought for a second that I was back in Glasgow. It was wet and drizzly with a cold wind blowing.

Really good city though with lots going on and a bit of energy and vibe to it. I didn't going a night out much cheaper than Perth though. A pint was still around the $9 to $11 mark. The shopping is better than Perth without a doubt.

Plenty of bogans around Melbourne as well though. You won't escape that element in any city in Australia.

I'd say go for it if you are looking for more buzz.

I grew up in Melbourne, love it.. it keeps winning that award as the worlds best city, its got a lot going on, I just wish it wasnt so expensive (but I think its cheaper than Perth now). I have never understood why so many English go to Perth, is it just because its a little closer to home? It is so isolated from the rest of Australia.

I believe a lot of British people used to move here was because of its weather and it was the cheapest place in Australia to live. It's now the dearest and nothing has changed apart from the mining which has had an effect on the cost of living. Would be interesting to see if the same amount of people from the UK chose WA now then let's say 6 years ago or more. For me value for money and perth do not go together in the same sentence .

Would be interesting to see if the same amount of people from the UK chose WA now then let's say 6 years ago or more.

Percentage wise, it's hardly changed. Looking at permanent settler arrivals from the UK every year, the % of those heading to WA is as follows.

2002-2003 26%

2003-2004 28%

2004-2005 28%

2005-2006 28%

2006-2007 31%

2007-2008 30%

2008-2009 28%

2009-2010 26%

2010-2011 27%

Hi all,

Just wanted some thoughts on making the move from Perth to Melbourne and wondered if anyone had done it.

We arrived in perth 6 months ago and to be honest, we have found it utterly boring, backwards, full of chavs and bogans, a nightmare to get around if you haven't got a car, too hot, barren, rubbish shops and ridiculously expensive. (However, the beaches and parks are nice). We don't see a return to the UK as an option and want to give Melbourne a go. We are coming out to have a look around in March to see what we think. We are looking for somewhere that just has a bit more soul and things going on.

Has anyone made the move before and found it to be better (I know this is completely subjective) and also what are the employment prospects? I am working as an RTO manager in Perth and from what I can see, there are plenty of similar jobs out there.

Horses for courses mate - lots of people love Perth, lots love Melbourne. The beaches and parks are lovely here too, and we do have public transport which is fairly good - in fact Melbourne has the largest tram network in the world. My boss (an Australian born and bred) moved from Perth where she grew up to Melbourne because she found Perth too small and claustrophobic. Melbourne's a much bigger city. Personally, I love living here but everyone's different.

BB

Hi all,

We moved from Adelaide to Melbourne just over 2 years ago. I have never visited Perth but have been told it is very similar to Adelaide ( just as you described in your post), we never settled in Adelaide despite making really good friends and living right on the beautiful beach. It felt like we were old before our time....

We lived in Manchester in the UK so was used to things going on all the time, bars, restaurants, gigs, events, a mix of cultures etc etc. We visited Sydney once and Melbourne twice and just fell in love with Melbourne. Its a fantastic city and thoroughly deserves the title of most liveable city in the world.

Yes Melbourne has its pros and cons like anywhere but from what you have said I think it will tick the boxes. I will say this though the driving here is mental and I do miss the quiet Adelaide roads!!!

Good luck with your move.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses to my post. Well, I have just got back from spending some time in Melbourne and was totally blown away! Its a personal opinion but it completely blows Perth out of the water in every way (apart from the beaches). From the suburbs to the shopping, culture, people, transport, things to see and do. Its an absolute no brainer for us and will be moving as son as I can get a job and move out of this place. Watch this space......

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses to my post. Well, I have just got back from spending some time in Melbourne and was totally blown away! Its a personal opinion but it completely blows Perth out of the water in every way (apart from the beaches). From the suburbs to the shopping, culture, people, transport, things to see and do. Its an absolute no brainer for us and will be moving as son as I can get a job and move out of this place. Watch this space......

Bye bye **** off , oh job might be tricky as Smellbum peeps comin to WA for work

Hi all,

Some of the beaches here are not too shabby either! They may not be as great as Perth's, but they're pretty good and very accessible from commutable suburbs.

BB

Hi all,

I live in perth too and was in Melbourne all last week, I totally and fully understand everything you said in your post regarding melbourne

Guest Guest26012
Thanks for the constructive comment, I'll add you to my list:

Reason 101 to leave Perth - Another thick British Chav

Lol! You deserved that mongrel! But you're not thick, or a Chav lol!

I moved to Melbourne for the beaches!!! But then I wasn't considering Perth, just Sydney and Brisbane. Melbourne has stunning beaches. The ones in the suburbs, such as where we live, are very accessible in a short walk from our house, clear water, golden sand on some beaches, white sand on others. I can't compare with Perth because I haven't been there, but I do love the beaches in Melbourne.

BB

I moved to Melbourne for the beaches!!! But then I wasn't considering Perth, just Sydney and Brisbane. Melbourne has stunning beaches. The ones in the suburbs, such as where we live, are very accessible in a short walk from our house, clear water, golden sand on some beaches, white sand on others. I can't compare with Perth because I haven't been there, but I do love the beaches in Melbourne.

BB

Where in melborne do you live??

Thanks

Hi, we live in Mordialloc, and have easy access to Mordialloc and Parkdale beaches (golden sand, deeper water) - good for swimming, boogie boarding, canoeing, Mentone beach (golden sand, very shallow) - good for kids, boogie boarding when rough and snorkelling when calm) and Aspendale beach (white sand, very shallow) - good for paddling, dog walking, kids.

There is also Mordialloc Creek where we live which is very beautiful, like a cornish fishing village with all the wooden boats.

All the beaches between Brighton and the Mornington Peninsula are lovely, can't think of a bad one, they all have their own character.

BB

Archived