How hard is it to score 8 in IELTS ??

fitnesstasha

i agree, i was the same but people get upset if you say that on here, you seem to have got away with it ;)

You are really lucky to have got through first time and well done, what a relief. I don't think people get upset so much, I think they just get frustrated because a lot of people really dread it and no matter what they do or how intelligent they are/think they are, they cannot get to grips with the IELTS tests. My OH needed all 8's and failed on his first attempt by 0.5 in the writing and could have kicked himself, so near, yet so far. On his second attempt, he locked himself out of his hotel room, left the keys in the hire car and could not find parking before the test. He thought this is going to be interesting and then went on to get the result he needed. He said it was all down to the subjects on the day as well. On his first attempt he had to write about cosmetics, he knows diddly squat. Second time it was about telecommunications. OK, he is not an expert, but at least he stood a fighting a chance.

I didn't practice and got an 8 for writing, an 9 for reading and a 9 for listening and speaking. It was harder than I expected though.

Speaking, when they asked me about a topic I knew nothing about I just asked for another one.

That's a really good point. I bet a lot of people don't realise that they can do that. My OH certainly didn't.

Yes, it seems to catch a few. They asked me to talk about my favourite sport! I hate sport. I couldn't have made it up, I don't know enough lol. I had no choice, but it seems lots of people freeze and panic trying to think of something they can say.

I got a question about newspapers that I normally read -and I don't speak the language of the country that I currently live in so I didn't have much to say :)) Still I made something up and got 8 :) but it was really stressful!

Got husband's IELTS results today....... Needed overall 8 for the 20 points, and he got Listening 8.5, Reading 8.5, Writing 9, Speaking 9, so we're over the moon! I'm so proud of him! It says 'Overall 9'. Passed the first hurdle, but more to go.......

The first time I gave my IELTS, I got 9-9-6.5-8.5 in L-R-W-S in IELTS academics. I needed overall 7 so I gave again with some writing practice and I got 8.5-8.5-7.5-8..

It's not that hard but since I have terrible handwriting, I couldn't score well in writing no matter how I put it.

• 4 years later...
On 15/02/2013 at 1:29 PM, Del70 said:

Got husband's IELTS results today....... Needed overall 8 for the 20 points, and he got Listening 8.5, Reading 8.5, Writing 9, Speaking 9, so we're over the moon! I'm so proud of him! It says 'Overall 9'. Passed the first hurdle, but more to go.......

Hi,

I have been told that I need all 8's in my test for my 20 points. I have gotten an overall 8 twice now in two exams but scored less than 8 in the reading and writing ones and I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Did your husband have to score over 8 for each section or was he told an overall 8?

thanks 

On 16/02/2013 at 0:10 PM, Rezasol said:

The first time I gave my IELTS, I got 9-9-6.5-8.5 in L-R-W-S in IELTS academics. I needed overall 7 so I gave again with some writing practice and I got 8.5-8.5-7.5-8..

It's not that hard but since I have terrible handwriting, I couldn't score well in writing no matter how I put it.

Hi,

Im getting confused with the scoring system as I have been told I need all 8's for my visa but a few people are referring to needing an overall 8. I have sat both the academic and general test and although I have scored 7.0 or 7.5 in some of the tests I am getting an overall 8 and I'm unsure as to why this isn't good enough. Do u know if u have to have all 8's?

thanks

7 hours ago, chloe_zara said:

How soon do you get your results?

For Pearson can be as quick as 2 days but generally a week. You can look online too

i believe IELTS is around 2 weeks and by post 

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 1

I did not need to get 8 as I had enough points. I got 8.5, 8.5, 8 and 7.5. The 7.5 was in the reading. Did not have to take it again as I needed only 7. Like everyone said practice is the key. Even the writing needs a lots of practice. When I took the exam, I had hardly written anything on paper longer than my signature for over 9 years. It took some time for me to adjust writing essays on a paper with a pencil. I practised writing lots of example essays and letters. Timing yourself during practice is important especially for Writing and Reading. If you don't keep tab on the time you might not answer all the questions. Remember you need to keep some time to make sure you have answered all the questions and have put in the right answer in your answer sheet. I am not a native English speaker, so if I am able to get almost 8 in all 4 categories, a native speaker with good practise should nail it in the first attempt. 

The biggest challenge I had was with writing and speaking. If you end up getting an essay topic which you cannot write too much about, you will have to wing it with what you know. The second time I wrote IELTS, I got almost same scores but this time 7.5 in writing. The topic was so dry that it was impossible for me to write anything after a while. I felt I would repeating myself, if I continued. The examiner in the speaking test asked me something which I could not immediately think and said something and then realised I couldn't speak much about it.