Not another cost of living thread! - Is this about right?

kateNollie

Sorry, I really am.

I have gleaned the following from the net and just wanted to run it by you.

Does this seem right.

I am expecting a wage of 75k which we will use for a couple and child in the quinns rock area.

Rent 1600pm

Mobile x2 120pm

Home Phone + Internet 100pm

Contents and car insurance - 120pm

Water 77pm

rates 140pm

Gas/Elec 43pm

Food 700pm

Petrol 150pm

Foxtel 55

Equalling 3105

Does this sound about right.

WIth a wage of 75k, I will be expecting to "take home" 4829pm leaving me with 1724pm for complete spending.

I have seen another thread similar to this wherby the monthly cost is 5k. Am I missing something

Depends where you live, what you do in your spare time, if moving to a warm area how hot can you stand, if moving to a area that is cool in winter, how cool can you stand. We are all different and therefore our power consumption will vary from person to person, power is expensive. How far are you going to drive, i e petrol, will you be using a toll road, so many differences that its only your personal experience that will tell you if your budget is ok.

Hi gas elec and water look a little low shopping all depends n how many of you there are and fuel all depends on traveling distance and car, if your renting you don't need to pay rates so that should save a bob or two I'm no expert on this but I'm just like your self I've researched this to death, if you look at one of my earlier threads I've posted a rough expenditure from uk to ozz but its based on my research only,

hope this helps

regards

Pete

Rent is low. I would budget on $450 a week, which is $1950 a month as a mimimum for a decent house. Gas and Elec are too low. I would pretty much double that. Depending on lifestyle you might save a little on petrol. However parking can be expensive. If you are going to be driving to work every day i would allow $100 a week for parking as a minimum.

You dont pay rates if renting

Mobiles are maybe a little low if you want a smart phone. I pay $75 a month for mine.

You have missed licence and car registration. Cant remember how much it is now. Think my reg was $420 a year.

Will you be buying a car cash or on credit? If the later then you need to allow the repayments.

Do you have child care costs?

It's funny isn't it, because to me the mobile costs seem really high. My OH and I both have Pre pay sims and spend $19 each on top ups, which we can usually do just every three months when the credit runs out. Because we are both on the same plan calls and texts to each other are free. My OH brought his phone with him from the UK and we bought one for just $20 for me. If you want a really fancy phone then yes you would need to either buy the phone or get an expensive contract which would be more, but there is no need to spend that much on a mobile if you don't want to.

Gas and electric definitely looks low. Our first bill was $350 for six weeks. The next, after having the lights and reverse cycle heat/air on less was $350 for three months. You might use less depending on the house you rent, and as Petals said, your need to heat or cool it.

There are a few things on the list that look light to me including: rent, insurance, gas / electric, food and even foxtel seems a bit light to me. I am sure we pay more like $80 and we don't have the full package. On the other hand you don't need rates and water seems high.

Some of you I notice are not from wa. This was aimed at those that know nor Perth and quinns in particular. ,looking online, it looks like 400pw is fine for a decent first rental in quinns

foxtel was just the base package. We will probably start on free view anyway.

We thought the food might be low

thanks all for your responses, keep them coming I am liking the fact that people are not saying I am miles off!!

Thanks again

Some of you I notice are not from wa. This was aimed at those that know nor Perth and quinns in particular. ,looking online, it looks like 400pw is fine for a decent first rental in quinns

I am in Sydney, but the real estate pages for Quinns Rocks are not blocked to me. :biggrin:

On www.domain.com.au there are only three properties in Quinns Rocks renting for under $400. Before I moved to Sydney, I thought my budget of $750 was perfectly adequate as there seemed to be lots online. When I got here, I found that the pictures were misleading and the $750 places were hovels, I had to increase my budget somewhat. That is why just warning that it might appear to be enough, but in fact might not be. It is always better to be conservative and have a little room in the budget. Just trying to be helpful and share my experiences.

I am from Perth....allow perhaps a little more for a rental....if you get one that's less great...I beleive it's best to overestimate rather than under.

We have x2 iPhones on a virgin contract we pay $49 each...plenty of data and phone usage.

My water bill is billed every 6 mths...the most I have paid is $200 per 6mths.

I would also allow more for food...$200-$250.

Petrol...I spend $70 pw but do a lot of driving.

my foxtel is around $120pm we have everything apart from the movies.

my electric bill is no between $250-$400 per 2 mths.

gas $55 pm

I'm in a 4x2 no pool....5 of us.

Your estimates seem really low, your rent if you are quoting 400 per week is not 1600 per month but $1,733.00 per month as there are 5 weeks in some months so times the 400 by 52 wks then divide by 12 months this gives an accurate figure. Gas and electric budget $150.00 per month, food budget $200 dollars per week. Petrol depends on travel will you have two cars, will you be working in quins or the city, people tend to travel further here so spend more on fuel. mobiles x2 could be 60 per month pay as you go. Car rego for 2 vehicles check www.transport.wa.gov.au check out aami insurance or budget insurance company will give you an idea for home contents and car insurance check out carsales.com.au for cost of vehicles. have a look at abc-childcare.com this will give you rates for day care if you decide to put your little one in nursery not a spot on figure but an idea of costs involved. You would be better over estimating then under, then you will not be in for any nasty shocks on arrival

I am expecting a wage of 75k which we will use for a couple and child in the quinns rock area.

Rent 1600pm

Mobile x2 120pm

Water 77pm

rates 140pm

Gas/Elec 43pm

Food 700pm

Petrol 150pm

Foxtel 55

Equalling 3105

$1,600 a month is pretty low for rent, even up in the Quinns Rock area. With the way that rentals are here in Perth, if you are going for the more popular areas further out (with expats anyway) then you are going to have a lot of competition for the rental. $1,600 per month works out to be about $370 per week - there is currently one house to rent in Quinns below this price today (I use REIWA), and even then I would expect it to go for more - as people offer to pay over the asking price when there is a lot of competition. I think a budget of $450 per week ($1,950 p/m) is much more realistic. If you venture into the surrounding suburbs (so not a beach suburb) then you might get something a bit cheaper - Clarkson/Merriwa being cheaper places. Not so desirable, but my brother lives in Clarkson and he finds it ok.

Do you have phones you'll be bringing with you? I wouldn't bother with contract phones, tie you in for 24 months and are very expensive. We brought our iphones out with us and use pre-pay sim cards that we top up $30 a month (so $60 p/m total for two of us).

Do you need a home phone? Otherwise have a look at Vivid Wireless - no home phone required and we get unlimited downloads for $79 per month - can add Voip calls for an addtional $10 per month.

Car insurance depends on the car - we insured a $6k Pajero for $450 per year fully comp, rego on that is about $500 per year - so $79 per month for the car (not including maintenance). Home insurance is crazy expensive out here I find, for around $50k contents insurance you are looking at about $800 per year, so another $66 per month.

Water rates are covered by the landlord if you are renting, you might have to pay useage in a house (we don't as we are in a unit) which is fairly cheap I think, friend had a bill for 3 months of $35.

As someone said previously you don't pay rates in a rental.

Gas and electric I'd be budgetting $200 a month for both of these in a house - will depend again on your usage, but I'm always very surprised at how expensive they are.

Food, for the two of us we probably spend about $120 - $160 a week, not sure how much adding a child into that costs!

Petrol - depends if you drive to work every day. If you're living in the northern suburbs and work in the City then you'll drive to Clarkson and get the train (Butler when it opens) parking is free if you get their early enough, $2 a day if you don't. Train will set you back about $10 per day into the City. If you are driving make sure you get yourself an efficient car, the Pajero sets us back about $50 a week and we get the bus to work - that's only pootling about to the shops and the beach on a weekend!

Foxtel - you'll probably be able to get a deal for $55 a month to start off with as they do good deals for new customers. We now pay $102 (soon to be $105) for everything apart from movies, we have HD and the pause rewind etc (yes you still have to pay for that service over here!!)

Something you've not included is private medical insurance, you might decide not to bother (based on your salary depends if you want it) but you would be looking at another $150-$250 per month for cover for the three of you depending on the level you went for.

I think that covers everything!

Food is a tricky one as it is very individual. Some will choose to eat the cheapest and others the most expensive and everything in between. We like to eat pretty well - i am a bit of a foodie and i also find that the quality of food can be very low unless you are willing to pay a fair amount of money for it. So, we probably pay about $300 a week. That doesnt include household items such as laundry and cleaning products from the supermarket.

Entertainment can be very expensive. Its not unusual to pay $15 for a drink in a Perth bar.

We dont have foxtell, so cant comment. I have it at work and from what i see i wouldnt bother. Think its rubbish.

Internet can be cheaper. We have a ipad on pay as you go and spend maybe 20 a month.

As everyone has said, i would seriously look at the rental costs. Also, where will you be working?

Sorry, I really am.

Does this seem right.

Rent 1600pm

Mobile x2 120pm

Water 77pm

rates 140pm

Gas/Elec 43pm

Food 700pm

Petrol 150pm

Foxtel 55

Equalling 3105

WIth a wage of 75k, I will be expecting to "take home" 4829pm leaving me with 1724pm for complete spending.

I have seen another thread similar to this wherby the monthly cost is 5k. Am I missing something

Hi, I live in Mindarie which is next to Quinns. Rent is probably a bit low. We pay $120 a month for electric and $75 a month for gas. $100 a month for water (we do have a pool and auto retic which may mean that we use a bit more water and power than someone who doesnt).

$105 a month for Foxtel (we have most channels, one movie package and no sport). We spend around $1000 a month on food (add another $500 for alcohol and dining out, etc). Car and contents sounds about right. Also, one major expense is private medical

It it always best to budget an outside amount so any surprises can only be pleasant, we budgeted $600 per week rent (not in the Quinns rock area) but still thought we could get something suitable for $500 judging by the realestate.com.au website, turns out we are at the top end of the budget and this is a very basic house.

Groceries- you maybe surprised at the price of some individual items, when you do't get much under $5 the bill soon mounts up, saying that you maybe fine, I am still learning the prices and where to get the best deals.

Where did the $43 for gas & electic come in ?

A recent electric bill -mind it was for a large house with pool but -was $1875 for the quarter M

Mine for an avergae 3 bed house was $800

Foxtel we have the full package is $147

Petrol we spend around $60 a week have Holden Captiva and we dont work so thats for personal use

Water bill an avergae of $250 a quarter

Food about 800 a month for two adults

Home phone and internet $50 a month

Mobile about $25 a month

Rates $264 a quarter

Contents and car around $100 a month

Vehicle registration around $650 PA

We live in Adelaide by the way and have the dearest electric in the world -fact in a recent newspaper article

Sorry, I really am.

Does this seem right.

Rent 1600pm

Mobile x2 120pm

Water 77pm

rates 140pm

Gas/Elec 43pm

Food 700pm

Petrol 150pm

Foxtel 55

Equalling 3105

My hubby put these figures together for someone recently whose thinking of coming to Perth:

Electricity average out over year because of air con etc $ 225 per month - we have reverse cycle ducted aircon.

Gas $ 30 per month

Water service charge is $ 1000 per year and usage $150 per year

Standard line rental for phone $30 /month (or bundle it with a broadband supplier)

adsl2+ broadband $90/month

Foxtel (sky) ,full package $ 120/month

Council tax $ 1200 / year (we live in the shire of Melville).

Car insurance , fully comp , $450 / year

Food we pay $250 - $300 per week but we're feeding 4 adults

Petrol - I drive a Kia Sportage and fill up once every 9 or 10 days at a cost of between $50 - $60 depending on the price

Archived