What's the one thing you wish you'd considered before heading out to Oz?

TheSmithFamily

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a family of 4 who are hoping to make the move to Oz in the next 2/3 years we are wondering what is the one thing people heading back to the UK wish they had considered, or taken into account, before their move which perhaps they didn't?

I know a lot of people are as thorough as they can be when researching the move and I know that in some cases you simply will never know until you are living the life in Australia whether it's for you or not. But I'm sure there must be things which people have overlooked which may have potentially made a difference?

I'm heading back to Scotland after 25years in Oz. In hindsight, I probably wouldve thought about how I'd feel when my kids were grown and I'd be left on my own, but thats my story. None of us think of these things when we are young, enthusiatic and ready to take on the world. Dont let anyone put you off, you may regret the opportunity. Would you seriously NOT try out what could potentially be the best thing you ever do just because you might miss family or whatever other reason. Thats life, its all about choices and chances. Yes, research it, I did and at the time, work opportunities and compatible weather was the reason for choosing Melbourne. My Dad told me at the airport......give it 5years because thats how long it takes to set yourself up and become entrenched in the life, then you'll know. If you dont like it, come back, head held high, at least youve had the courage to try it, others dream about it but never take it on. After 5years I DID enjoy my life, so I stayed. It IS a different life to the UK, dont look at the people returning back, as we all have differing reasons. Look at all the thousands of Brits who HAVE gone there, loved it and made a great life. Do your homework, this forum is great, wish it was here when I was planning the move. Would I have not come.........nope, I'd still have had a go. Good luck.

Wish we kept our house back home. Australia has the same old sh*t that we had back home, it isn't until you give up everything to realise that you had a great life in a fantasic country! Don't get me wrong I love my life here, but this journey has nearly destroyed my family due to lack of funds, you think back home that you can survive on 1 wage to feed a family then have a heart attack at the supermarket at the cost of foods! EDUCATION is shocking here, I cant believe that they are so far behind, I really thought that the schools would be amazing, small classes fantastic, lack of teaching.FAMILY the lack of is very hard to deal with. Good luck

Leaving my Mam & Dad as I was an only child

We had been married years and had teenage children when we emigrated but the pull of elderly parents never ever went away and we have done the Oz Uk journey 18 times

I am from the North East by the way and agree nothing like North Sea air just dont plodge !

Wish we kept our house back home. Australia has the same old sh*t that we had back home, it isn't until you give up everything to realise that you had a great life in a fantasic country! Don't get me wrong I love my life here, but this journey has nearly destroyed my family due to lack of funds, you think back home that you can survive on 1 wage to feed a family then have a heart attack at the supermarket at the cost of foods! EDUCATION is shocking here, I cant believe that they are so far behind, I really thought that the schools would be amazing, small classes fantastic, lack of teaching.FAMILY the lack of is very hard to deal with. Good luck

Good post and reality for a lot of poms.

Hi Sarah - what line of work are you in? I have 25 years experience, but no real (recent) quallies (I have a CAM Dip). I had pretty high powered jobs here in Design and advertising, as well as owning a full service ad agency, and have always found experience here means more than qualifications. The same doesn't seem to ring true in Oz. Is that fair? Did it affect the quality of job you were able to get?

We considered everything and visited the area we were moving to twice to make sure. The actual reality of living there was harder than we had considered. I didn't realise just how upset my daughter would be and it took her a long time to settle, even then she still talked about going back to the UK. Being away from family was alot harder than I thought it would be and even though hubby had a great job, we had a lovely house, great friends and cars ultimately we decided to move back. We had a great time and dont regret the move, we still miss parts of living in Oz but couldn't see ourselves living there forever. That was just us though, until you get there it's hard to judge how you and your family are going to find it. Just be prepared that if you don't like it it is costly to get back, if you can, rent out your property. I wish you all the best with the move.

Hi Sarah - what line of work are you in? I have 25 years experience, but no real (recent) quallies (I have a CAM Dip). I had pretty high powered jobs here in Design and advertising, as well as owning a full service ad agency, and have always found experience here means more than qualifications. The same doesn't seem to ring true in Oz. Is that fair? Did it affect the quality of job you were able to get?

This place is obsessed with pieces of paper mate. Sometimes it seems to the exclusion of anything else, common sense included. So look into it very carefully

This place is obsessed with pieces of paper mate. Sometimes it seems to the exclusion of anything else, common sense included. So look into it very carefully

Things sure have changed over the past 31 years. On offering my trade papers and references at my first job interview the boss, and old Jock, pushed them back at me without even looking at them, with the words, "Papers mean nothing to me Laddy. I will have you worked out in a day, and if your not what you say you are, your out". I stayed there for 3 months, then went for an interview at another place where there was shift work, and therefore more money. I was interviewed by the foreman, a German, and with hardly a glance at my papers, his words just about echoed my previous boss. I stayed there for 30 years.

Things sure have changed over the past 31 years. On offering my trade papers and references at my first job interview the boss, and old Jock, pushed them back at me without even looking at them, with the words, "Papers mean nothing to me Laddy. I will have you worked out in a day, and if your not what you say you are, your out". I stayed there for 3 months, then went for an interview at another place where there was shift work, and therefore more money. I was interviewed by the foreman, a German, and with hardly a glance at my papers, his words just about echoed my previous boss. I stayed there for 30 years.

They must have. I find it almost oppressive now, the hoops we have to jump through for individuals or contracts are ridiculous. I'm perhaps a bit sensitive as I've just received a total BS request from the state government about corporate H&S accreditation and had yet another pointless audit layered on top of the one they did last year and the one we did for the feds a few months ago. We're a Tier 1 company that turns over $bns a year and is extremely well known to all levels of government and our safety systems not only get checked by them in detail every time we engage with them in a new contract, but are plastered all over our website and corporate info for all to see. Yet we have to have another expensive inspection. And don't get me started on trades licensing and the "competence" (I use the inverted commas deliberately) of some of the individuals who have all the right pieces of paper but very little else

I wouldn't mind if the credentialism actually improved quality or safety standards but it doesn't appear to. It's completely disproportionate IMO, and substantially more bureaucratic than anything I've seen in any other jurisdiction outside Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Seriously.

Don't believe everything you read on PIO - it's food for thought but only opinions, check out the facts.

Understand that unless you make lifestyle changes you will have less family time not more due to longer working week, less annual leave and in most big cities longer commutes (unless you're in London now). If you do make lifestyle changes then you could achieve the same in the UK.

Australia will not change your spouses personality (or yours!) - obvious but so many people think there workoholic/boring/grumpy/etc/etc partner will be different in the sunshine and it's unlikely.

Coming from the North of England/Scotland you will find Australia astonishingly expensive especially once a good percentage of your income goes on a mortgage - beware of setting a budget based on on-line research of house prices we were woefully misled.

Travel is incredibly expensive - after the first few years of exploring your own state it becomes very boring

Planning to visit the UK every year isn't realistic unless you are very well off and can take more than the standard 4 weeks leave

Agree with the posts that say agree before you leave what happens if one or both of you don't settle, its not been an issue for us but there are so many sad stories. I personally think that the agreement should be that if either partner wants to return the whole family does but whatever the agreement discuss all possible scenarios before you move.

Good luck, no matter what anyone says once the ball is in motion it is difficult to stop and for most people it does work out.

Jules

Guest Guest26012
Don't believe everything you read on PIO - it's food for thought but only opinions, check out the facts.

Understand that unless you make lifestyle changes you will have less family time not more due to longer working week, less annual leave and in most big cities longer commutes (unless you're in London now). If you do make lifestyle changes then you could achieve the same in the UK.

Australia will not change your spouses personality (or yours!) - obvious but so many people think there workoholic/boring/grumpy/etc/etc partner will be different in the sunshine and it's unlikely.

Coming from the North of England/Scotland you will find Australia astonishingly expensive especially once a good percentage of your income goes on a mortgage - beware of setting a budget based on on-line research of house prices we were woefully misled.

Travel is incredibly expensive - after the first few years of exploring your own state it becomes very boring

Planning to visit the UK every year isn't realistic unless you are very well off and can take more than the standard 4 weeks leave

Agree with the posts that say agree before you leave what happens if one or both of you don't settle, its not been an issue for us but there are so many sad stories. I personally think that the agreement should be that if either partner wants to return the whole family does but whatever the agreement discuss all possible scenarios before you move.

Good luck, no matter what anyone says once the ball is in motion it is difficult to stop and for most people it does work out.

Jules

For us, we have more time together. OH used to work shifts in the uk 24/7. So we get to spend weekends together. Australia has not changed our personalities but have to say we are happier in ourselves so maybe that was always there and we needed oz to magnify that? We were aware before we came here how expensive travel outside of oz was. No surprises there. I actually don't mind the not being able to travel outside oz! We have some beautiful areas in WA alone to keep our interest. We have been back to the uk twice in five years, expensive, but we did it. I agree with you in that if one half of the partnership wants to return then you should agree beforehand that you should both return. I would go back if my oh wanted to, not happily, but I would go! I wish you luck on your return Jules and hope you made the right decision? You can but try.

I would look at what you are giving up and what you hope to achieve. If your lfe is good in the UK and you just fancy an adventure then keep the door open as much as you can. I would say do not underestimate the size of Australia against the size of the population.....it is like taking the whole of the british isle and scattering half the population of Leeds around the edges then casting it adrift from anywhere else. This has a huge impact on accessibility/availability/cost and attitudes...There will not be the choice of many things (and I'm not just talking about ASDA etc) that there is in the UK as the size/population ratio cannot substantiate this.

My husband is an Aussie and he couldn't wait to get back to UK.

Hi Andy, we were very very lucky that our friend put his name forward for a vacancy that had come up at his power plant. It didn't need his qualifications but more his experience. If that hadn't have happened he would have to have taken a huge pay cut compared to the UK whilst he got his license. At one point we were looking at how long we could live in Australia before we ran out of savings and had to fly home due to the obstacles we were hitting at every turn.

So basically we were very lucky it all fell into place and that he loved the job!

Guest guest68546
I wouldn't mind if the credentialism actually improved quality or safety standards but it doesn't appear to. It's completely disproportionate IMO, and substantially more bureaucratic than anything I've seen in any other jurisdiction outside Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Seriously.

You only have to visit open house inspections to see that the general level of regulation and workmanship in OZ, is poor.

Guest guest68546
Its not he actually wants to stay, he'll probably finish the lease and maybe rent a caravan, this place is just too big for him on his own.

My earlier comment wasn't directed at you, more of a general observation on my part. No slight intended.

Think the biggest things to consider are that things are so similar but so different at the same time and this can get alot of getting used to (I still havent).

Regarding the experience over qualifications arguement. Aussies love their pieces of paper giving you accreditation within different job sectors. Having said that however depending on the industry that you are in then they should not be too much jumping through hoops and in my experience most employers are happy to take someone on board with relevant qualifications within the field that they are working within and then undertaking a conversion course if applicable. Of the many reasons to stop you coming here that is not a biggy...

Regarding the experience over qualifications arguement. Aussies love their pieces of paper giving you accreditation within different job sectors. Having said that however depending on the industry that you are in then they should not be too much jumping through hoops and in my experience most employers are happy to take someone on board with relevant qualifications within the field that they are working within and then undertaking a conversion course if applicable. Of the many reasons to stop you coming here that is not a biggy...

I agree it shouldn't necessarily stop one coming here. But if one is used to a certain position within one's industry and this has been won largely as a result of experience rather than quals, one should look extremely carefully at what is actually being offered and/or available at the lower level of quals. Lots of people come here and find they have to take a number of steps backwards on the career ladder just because of this, which is something that is worth considering. Overseas experience is not very highly valued here

Now that we have our own family, we really feel the lack of presence of grandparents, aunties, uncles etc. We are also finding it hard to have alone time as a couple as we don't have babysitters - This may sound very shallow but time as a couple is important to us and I think people underestimate how this will feel.

Totally agree with this!!! We have been out I think 3 times as a couple since our daughter was born and she is now 2.5 yo. Once we paid $80 for a babysitter for 4 hrs, which is the going rate but makes the night very expensive!

my friend has babysat for us the other few times, although she offers all the time, I feel bad asking her as its just not like asking your mum! There is also the issue of after work drinks , kids being unwell when you're at work etc.. These are issues, as there is no one else we can ask to pick up our daughter from child care. I had root canal treatment several months ago and I had to drop my daughter off at my oh office in the city ( as it was her non childcare day) for a few hrs! Then all I wanted to do afterwards was crawl into a hole, but instead had to take her back home. So I agree that lack of family support is really hard, even if you think you'll cope, as after a few years of not having couple time away from the kid/s and having to juggle childcare with no support, can start to have an effect on relationships imo

Kids can have an affect on relationships full stop, family support or no. It's hard and expensive bringing up kids, wherever you are.

We came out here with a 2 year old, didn't know anyone, hadn't visited Perth or Aus before with no jobs to come to. We found it made us stronger as a family unit and we had to do things together with our 2 year old a lot more. We wouldn't let it keep us in and just took the nipper where we went.

I think it's helped in our relationship with our kids too, who are now 22 and 17, still live at home and have turned out great.

I think it's something the parents think about for the kids, all the relations and how, somehow the kids are missing out. When I was young me and my Sister used to dread Sunday afternoon when we would be dragged around to visit Grandma when we would rather have been out with mates. I have heaps of cousins and although we all get on fine we aren't exactly best buddies and we didn't hang around together growing up, friends with the same interests and same sort of age group are for that.

I have to say this experience has well and truly brought us closer together as a family and as a couple. As for the babysitting issue, yep our son mostly comes with us or we have people around. There is plenty of Couple time when he is in bed, if your son is 2.5 years old Sally04 ,then I assume he's in bed at 6.30 or so anyway? My son is 11 but we insist he's in bed by 8.00 pm

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

There isn't much to do in Perth that isn't family friendly (unless you are 20-something and hit the clubs). This is a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at ir. Most of our socialising is with our son and comprises of meeting up in Kings Park, going to peoples houses for meals/BBQ's, meeting up at a reserve or at the beach. Generally it involves the kids running about, swimming in a pool, splashing in the sea etc. and the adults eating and drinking. For some that's 'living the dream' for me it's 'death by boredom'. I do have a low tolerance for boredom which is probably why I've never lived more than 7 years in the same place and how I ended up in Oz in the first place! I live by the motto 'I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death' although I've got to say some of the stuff that comes off BBQ's looks pretty scary to me :biggrin:

Hi all

This is a fantastic thread and I have gleaned a lot of insights from it. However, I am in a different position from most of the people on here in that my OH and I are thinking of going to Aus. to join our only child. We have visited several times and explored quite a bit on our own. My question is this - assuming no mortgage, would £2000 a month keep you then?

Also, many people have mentioned the lack of babysitters - if someone with masses of experience in childcare AND all the bits of paper to go with it advertised their services as a paid babysitter (not childminder) would this be a possibility?

Thanks

PS I forgot to mention - by the time we get to the top of the parents waiting list we will be getting on a bit.....