wanted down under cost of living list

Guest sun lovers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you're spot on. You also need to do that with salaries. So a salary in oz that looks good when converted back to pounds at the exchange rate really may not be that hot when converted back at 2.5. Using the exchange rate to compare is wrong.

So, if I earn 30,000GBP in the UK, and get a job in Australia (paying 2.5 times the UK figure) that pays 75,000AUS that means that everything works out at more or less the same between both countries, with perhaps Australia working out cheaper - as I see it anyway...

Most things I tried to grow got burnt to a crisp. Had much more luck in the UK.

I could understand that over west, but Melbourne is good for veg, as long as you don't try to plant lettuce in 40 degrees, all mine in the last month have burnt off. I need a shade sail for the veg garden, but where is the balance. You spend hours and hours and hundreds of dollars for twenty dollars worth of veg.

Its like buying thousands of dollars of boat and fishing gear and catching a couple of hundred worth in the five days you actually use the bloody thing.

fruit trees (lemon) trees tend to grow well. had much more luck with these than veg

I could understand that over west, but Melbourne is good for veg, as long as you don't try to plant lettuce in 40 degrees, all mine in the last month have burnt off. I need a shade sail for the veg garden, but where is the balance. You spend hours and hours and hundreds of dollars for twenty dollars worth of veg.

Its like buying thousands of dollars of boat and fishing gear and catching a couple of hundred worth in the five days you actually use the bloody thing.

So, if I earn 30,000GBP in the UK, and get a job in Australia (paying 2.5 times the UK figure) that pays 75,000AUS that means that everything works out at more or less the same between both countries, with perhaps Australia working out cheaper - as I see it anyway...

That seems to be the best guess from the posts I've read. The size of town you move from/to influences things as well I think....and of course the area you live in each town. Just based on country wide averages though so obviously very rough estimates.

Edited by fish.01

That link was not too accurate for me. According to a gloucester v perth comparison a mid range bottle of wine in gloucester is just 4 quid. I can barely get cheap bottle for that in tesco or asda or sainsburys. Also a 3 course meal for two in gliucester is apparently 30 quid??

nice idea but if my local pricing isnt accurate i couldnt really trust to the perth one.

like others have said it is probably best to make your own that is specific to your lifestyle and spending, lots of effort but good if you like to be organised and prepared.

Personally I think its best not to convert as in Oz you live in $ so think of it really as £ if you were in the UK ie petrol is $1.45 a litre dont convert it and say the UK has dearer petrol Yes it has if you convert but you normally travel further in Oz so use more petrol anyway

Work out costs in $ against an expected wage then to me that puts things into perspective

That link was not too accurate for me. According to a gloucester v perth comparison a mid range bottle of wine in gloucester is just 4 quid. I can barely get cheap bottle for that in tesco or asda or sainsburys. Also a 3 course meal for two in gliucester is apparently 30 quid??

nice idea but if my local pricing isnt accurate i couldnt really trust to the perth one.

like others have said it is probably best to make your own that is specific to your lifestyle and spending, lots of effort but good if you like to be organised and prepared.

I am in Glos too, went for a pub meal on Saturday night, one course with sides and 3 drinks in total- £40! Shocking ;-)

Guest guest76088

you have to learn to shop again when you move to oz. and choose what's in season or what's on special - as the specials are often worth having. we found it expensive at first but have developed work-arounds by shopping around and bulk buying which many people here do anyway. prices for fruit and veg are up and down like yo yos with seemingly no reason, but you just buy what's on offer and it's fun. Agriculture isnt subsidised here and there's no EU, and nearly all food is locally grown and so it makes sense to shop seasonally.

and another point , if you go for "convenience" in oz , or don't keep your eyes peeled, or go out unprepared you pay for it. see that soft drink say cans of coke on offer 2 for $3 - thirsty on a hot day? buy 1 cold from the fridge in the same store on the same day and it'll be $3.80 for one can

also...i have 4 grocery stores on my walk home from the tram stop to my flat. Yesterday they were selling 1kg of bananas respectively at $1.49 , $1.99, the one selling "cheap wholesale direct to the public!" was selling for $2.50 (it is never, ever the cheapest despite it's bullshitty claims) and another shop $.3.29 a kilo. Within 300 yards of each other.

Shop around and keep your eyes peeled and you'll be fine. It's a game!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest littlesarah

Do bear in mind that online prices for Coles and Woolies are quite often different from those you pay when shopping in store - in my experience mostly higher. The specials that are available in-store aren't always offered online, so you can lose out there too. There are some operators who offer limited stock for home delivery, at discounted prices. I don't bother with that, because for what we buy it's not worth the delivery fee or the hassle, IMO.

From my first five months in Melbourne these are my views so far

If you shop like we did in the UK i.e. mostly in Tesco (or any other supermarket) you will waste money, learn to shop around and you will save loads. You don't need to be travelling miles between each shop, trailing around markets and buying the special offers to save money. Just by simply splitting your shopping between Aldi, Kmart and Coles/Woolworth's and you will save loads.

We have easily knocked off over $100 from our weekly shopping bill, just be doing most of our shopping in Aldi and then go to the big supermarkets for certain items. We did not know half the brands in Oz when we landed, so switching to Aldi's brands is no big deal for us compared to an Aussie resident (and to be honest it's just as good). We also shop at independent butchers and grocers depending on what catches our eye, sometimes they are better value and sometimes they are not.

Buy your booze at Dan Murphy's not at the bottle shops next to the supermarkets or the independents, you can save big money

Decent clothes and shoes are expensive out here so use companies like Asos, Next, DP and Topshop who all deliver to Oz for free. Clothes and shoes for the kids or clothes for your general day to day wearing, you can buy in Kmart, Target or Big W and their prices are roughly the same when buying clothes from the likes of Tesco's, George etc

I live in a new build four bedroom house (plus study and kids playroom) that is massive compared to my three storey townhouse in the UK and is also a lot cheaper to run.

My three utility bills are far cheaper than the UK when divided by 2 instead of the currency rate (so will be even cheaper when using 2.5), with the exception for electric which is about 20% higher at the moment due to the air-con being on during the really hot summer days, but my water and gas are way below what I was paying in the UK. My water bill for this quarter is $82, I was paying £62 a month back in the UK on a water meter. Gas is averaging about $25 a month but this will go up in the winter months, but will be offset by the electric bill going down.

Petrol is way cheaper than the UK

Foxtel is roughly comparable when compared to Sky (if you don't include phone and broadband).

Phone, mobile and broadband are expensive here compared to the UK, but prices are coming down.

Another poster has already commentated on if you go to a Servo and buy a couple of cans or drink or crisps it can get expensive and it's very true out here. The same can be said in the food courts in the shopping centres. it's very easy to blow $50 - $60 on some take out food and a couple of drinks for a family a four when shopping. I used to think the Trafford Centre food court was a rip off but it's cheap when compared to some of the food establishments here.

Too true, we gave it a go once, delivery cost 11 dollars, some of the items were incorrectly put in, and others were substituted, very few offers like you would get in the shop, and Coles website was a bit of a pain to get around. Was gutted as I was hoping this would end up being a regular thing.

I'd be wary of this 2.5 wages thing. In the UK I was paid £32,000, here currently I'm on 45,000 dollars, although after 8 months in employment it looks like my previous experience is going to be taken into account so could go up to 70,000 but this isn't necessarily the case, so I would say 1.5 times. Admittedly my position isn't as senior here, however there's a lack of those positions over here, maybe 3 or 4 years down the line I could get something, I think networks area huge thing here.

We're weighing up at the moment our cost of living compared to the UK and securing a financial future for our young family and unfortunately UK keeps on winning. I was shocked to find out today that the CCR is capped at 7500 per child, that means only 2-3 days per week in childcare so we would have to pay full whack of 110 dollars per child for the remaining 2 days per week over the year which is going to really add up.

I admit that you can shop around for food and buy poor quality clothes cheap over here, annoying that you have to go on the internet to buy decent ones from the UK.

But house prices in Sydney, OMG! We're looking at trying to move to an area where you can buy a nice house for under 700,000 but an easy commute to the CBD, and it's not looking that positive especially with house prices forecast to keep on going up.

And then cars, we wouldn't consider paying £10,000 for one in the UK but we'd have to here.

Yes, I'm being a damp squid but I guess this is our reality.

And my husband is in IT, gets paid pretty well and he says there's no way his wages are 2.5 higher here.

I think that is the point of the 2.5. If country wide median wages as published are roughly 2-2.5 higher than costs will be around the same 2-2.5 difference.

If in your personal circumstances you don't make this for whatever reason (have to go backwards for a few years, particular profession isn't paid as well, not as senior a job or whatever) then the 2-2.5 rule tells you that you will be earning less than you are used to. It is just an average, some people will get 3.5, some will get 1.5, it is just a rough guide to whether the salary you manage to get will be about the same as the one you are leaving. Quite a few people do seem to have a take a smaller salary for a couple of years after emigrating though before they re-establish themselves in a similar job.

I agree with you...you really need good salaries in Sydney to compensate for the costs. For example here in Brisbane we pay $80 for childcare and decent houses within a decent commute are far cheaper. But of course it is not Sydney. Sydney really does seem to demand very high salaries to afford to live in many of the better areas within a decent commute distance. It scares off many Australians because of this reason. Maybe some of the posters who know Sydney well could direct you to the better value areas.

IT has never been very well paid in Oz compared to other countries. Even with the bad exchange rate, I'd be lucky to earn much more in Oz than I do in the UK, and I've been looking for quite a while.

I'd be wary of this 2.5 wages thing. In the UK I was paid £32,000, here currently I'm on 45,000 dollars, although after 8 months in employment it looks like my previous experience is going to be taken into account so could go up to 70,000 but this isn't necessarily the case, so I would say 1.5 times. Admittedly my position isn't as senior here, however there's a lack of those positions over here, maybe 3 or 4 years down the line I could get something, I think networks area huge thing here.

We're weighing up at the moment our cost of living compared to the UK and securing a financial future for our young family and unfortunately UK keeps on winning. I was shocked to find out today that the CCR is capped at 7500 per child, that means only 2-3 days per week in childcare so we would have to pay full whack of 110 dollars per child for the remaining 2 days per week over the year which is going to really add up.

I admit that you can shop around for food and buy poor quality clothes cheap over here, annoying that you have to go on the internet to buy decent ones from the UK.

But house prices in Sydney, OMG! We're looking at trying to move to an area where you can buy a nice house for under 700,000 but an easy commute to the CBD, and it's not looking that positive especially with house prices forecast to keep on going up.

And then cars, we wouldn't consider paying £10,000 for one in the UK but we'd have to here.

Yes, I'm being a damp squid but I guess this is our reality.

And my husband is in IT, gets paid pretty well and he says there's no way his wages are 2.5 higher here.

For me the 2.(whatever) rule is better used as a rough benchmark to work out the equivalent UK salary / cost of living ratio. Rather than just doing a UK/Oz currency swap.

I'm from East Lancashire so my UK cost of living was not as much as someone living in the South East, so I used 2.0 instead of 2.5 as the bench mark to work out if I could maintain the same quality of life (financially) as I did in the UK

From all the sums I've done before emigrating and after (been here five months) I would say that formula is correct for me where I currently live (Point Cook).

I have a better quality of life and a better home, and I would even say I'm better off financially than the ratio suggest. HOWEVER if I had moved closer to Melbourne CBD things would have been a different story.

I think were people make the mistake when accepting jobs and coming over here is that they get given a figure in dollars and convert that into pounds. If that figure in pounds is say 10,000 over what the currently earn they think they are on to a winner, when they are not.

When they do get here due to some aspects of the cost of living out here, they have effectively taken a pay cut.

Edited by gwolst77