wanted down under cost of living list

Guest sun lovers

Guest sun lovers

Hi was wondering dose anyone know where i can get one of those wanted down under cost of living and shopping lists, would like to compare cost. Have looked on internet but can't seem to find it.

Thanks for any help :biggrin:

Edited by sun lovers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Steph

This is quite informative, as you can compare town in uk vs town in oz.

There are some surprising differences when you do that compared to just reading the basic comparison page as it is linked.

Glad it's helped. I also went to Coles online shopping to look up the weekly grocery shopping to see how much that would cost! I was shocked at some prices but at least I know nw what to expect!

Coles are the highest priced of the supermarkets. If you are heading to the east cost, aldi is good for basics.

I save heaps by buying a hind quarter of beef or a full lamb from a butcher. This reduces the price massively and is far better quality than the supermarkets. I also buy fruit & veg from the side of the road around where we live. Eg 10 small pumpkins, $10. Straight from the farm, stored they last 3 months.

Eggs straight from chicken farmers. At the moment a tray of barn laid (2.5 dozen) from their pullets is $2.50. They are tiny, so fantastic for the kids to have one each for lunch. Mind you, a three egg omlette for an adult uses about half a dozen.

One thing I accept with higher prices here is that we are a first world country with first world wages. I think the link you had earlier shows that. So I don't mind paying higher prices for food as most of it stays in the country supporting Australian workers. I do accept a lot of stuff is imported which obviously increases the prices due to extra transportation costs. Also the duopoly Of woolworths/Coles screws over the primary producer and has reduced competition for years, aldi has to some extent started to break this, but that's a whole new thread.

A lot of the food I purchased in the uk, even at local markets was imported from Europe(i asked, lots!) so my pounds were going over there to support their primary production rather than staying in the uk supporting the country in which I lived. I didn't like that, but in most cases didn't have much choice.

Edited by dmjg
Added eggs

Glad it's helped. I also went to Coles online shopping to look up the weekly grocery shopping to see how much that would cost! I was shocked at some prices but at least I know nw what to expect!

Yeah avoid Coles. For start-up here Aldi and K-mart will be your best bets. Aldi do basic loaf of bread for a $1, 2L of milk for under $2, and are even doing booze now - $10 for a bottled six-pack of "unkown" but quite palatable lager.

I don't think you should take those lists to seriously, I've been watching wdu and some things on there are wrong it's not as expensive as they make out. I live in Melbourne and do spend a lot more on food here than the uk, however we earn a lot more so it's all relative, which I'm sure has been mentioned many times on this forum.

Does anyone happen to have an excel spreadsheet setting out all the different aspects which could be used as a template?

I could pm you the one I use if you would like. I'll even leave all our numbers in!

But it would have to wait until laptop us connected to Internet as I only have iPad connected at home.

Guest Guest26012

Unfortunately, we don't have Aldi in Perth so can't save the pennies there! We shop at meat markets in bulk and freeze it. Fruit and veg, usually the markets. I do shop in Coles but tend to buy whatever's on special. There are ways and means to cut your food bill down.

Just use Coles and Woolies for certain things you can't get elsewhere ( they do have quite a good range of foodstuffs). If you have the time it is always cheaper to shop at markets etc ( I don't mean farmer's markets because they are quite expensive). I wouldn't be comparing with the UK- different wage structure, different lifestyle etc- you will probably have a different diet anyway.

I could pm you the one I use if you would like. I'll even leave all our numbers in!

But it would have to wait until laptop us connected to Internet as I only have iPad connected at home.

that would be great if you could, thank you!

Not quite sure how to read into the figures? For example:

If an 'inexpensive meal' costs 8GBP in UK & 11GBP in Aus, does that mean it actually costs 11GBP in Australia when directly exchanging (so roughly 16.5AUS dollars when actually paying in Aus). In my mind, taking into account that generally Australians get paid 2.5 times what the UK rates are, then 11GBP (16.5AUS) actually looks quite cheap? As 16.5 divided by 2.5 equals 6.5GBP, again when directly translated...

If the above makes sense, lol

Guest Guest26012

If an 'inexpensive meal' costs 8GBP in UK & 11GBP in Aus, does that mean it actually costs 11GBP in Australia when directly exchanging (so roughly 16.5AUS dollars when actually paying in Aus). In my mind, taking into account that generally Australians get paid 2.5 times what the UK rates are, then 11GBP (16.5AUS) actually looks quite cheap? As 16.5 divided by 2.5 equals 6.5GBP, again when directly translated...

seriously, I wouldn't try to confuse yourself with comparing oz dollars to pounds. It will do your head in! You soon learn to live with $ and when you earn in $ it fades!

Thanks for this - I was getting a little nervous about the cost of things, although the wages in Oz are higher so I guess it is all relative. And then I realised I could compare cities, so compared London, where I live, to Adelaide, where we are moving - and for a good chunk of things, Adelaide is still cheaper. And the wages are still 40% higher. Not so nervous now :)

Yes, you're spot on. You also need to do that with salaries. So a salary in oz that looks good when converted back to pounds at the exchange rate really may not be that hot when converted back at 2.5. Using the exchange rate to compare is wrong.

HI,

I appeared on WDU and although some of the figures were accurate and useful, other ones not so much! I went shopping to Woolworths and got a much clearer cost of things. I would definitely recommend going onto their websites and doing a 'pretend' shop to see what prices are like. Good Luck!

The WDU comparison sheet is a blunt tool that may serve the purposes of the TV programme but falls way short of being of any practical use. Because it's generic in nature we found it didn't cater for the nuances of our personal situation. In fact, it was full of holes so is good for the show but fell way short of reality.

Suggest you follow the guidance of other comments in this thread and that whatever tool or spreadsheet you end up using you should be prepared to tailor it for your own incomings, outgoings and lifestyle remembering to take into account things like costs of public transport and/or, commuting costs, cars, fuel, utilities, eating out, insurance, entertainment, white goods and so on.