Watching UK tv on a television

mr luvpants

Hi Guys

We are subscribed to Foxtel as my wife needs her fix of the UK soaps! I am just wondering if anyone has a workaround so that you can watch UK TV on a TV? I know there are unblockers available but they mean that you have to watch UK programmes on a PC. Has anyone managed it?

JOHN

I like Hide My Ass IP blocking service as for a pretty nominal fee you can appear to be in loads of different countries, not just UK. I got hooked on Smash at one point and streamed it all from one of the US channels. Plus it all streams perfectly and I've had pretty erratic results on other blockers. Then as britchix says you just hook it up to your tv/large monitor.

Why on earth would you do that? You can get the tele, shopping and much of the food without all that drabness.

Oh, ok, sorry I spoke.....(mutters to himself)

I like Hide My Ass IP blocking service as for a pretty nominal fee you can appear to be in loads of different countries, not just UK. I got hooked on Smash at one point and streamed it all from one of the US channels. Plus it all streams perfectly and I've had pretty erratic results on other blockers. Then as britchix says you just hook it up to your tv/large monitor.

Me too!. It's the potato-free alternative to, erm, mashed potato. Goes great with Sausages (snags, see, I'm learning) chops (well I grew up in the 70's) and all manner of colon-threatening red meats. Bonza!

Me too!. It's the potato-free alternative to, erm, mashed potato. Goes great with Sausages (snags, see, I'm learning) chops (well I grew up in the 70's) and all manner of colon-threatening red meats. Bonza!

If smash doesn't make a person proud to be British, I don't know what will. Other than spam of course.

HDMI cable has been fine for us. We got a smart TV too so can see most of BBC and Channel 4 stuff on ABC & SBS players respectively without hooking up the cable. It all comes on over here eventually about 6 months after the UK but hay who cares i'm not living my life in front of the TV.

This is the sort of thing that just makes me feel stupid. If you have a TV and you have foxtel why can't you watch UKTV on your TV? See technology has gone too far when a simple question like that doesn't make sense to the technologically non advanced:cry:

Don't worry about it :) We've only over-complicated it in our house because we don't want to have a tv and so we stream the stuff we want to watch via our computer. I assume the OP wants to ditch foxtel and find a way to still access UK TV so he'll need to use his computer and make it look like he's in the UK (the IP blocker bit). Since you're in the UK you just have to switch the set on so no need to grapple with all this nonsense :yes:

• 1 month later...

Hi, this seems like a good a place as any to ask...

TV down under, what are the options and cost implications. In the UK we have freeview and Sky, freeview is erm Free, whereas Sky ironically costs the earth. How does that compare to Oz TV? Also I think I understand from these forums that my current TV won't pick up Oz channels, is that right?

Why on earth would you do that? You can get the tele, shopping and much of the food without all that drabness.

Isn't it TV, shopping and food that is the drabbest thing about the UK?

I don't watch much TV in Aus, it's even worse than in the UK (and that's saying something). I'd never pay for anything like Foxtel, so all there is is reality, cooking, house-makeovers and general trash. Very few interesting documentaries - and as for anything cultural, forget it.

Hi, this seems like a good a place as any to ask...

TV down under, what are the options and cost implications. In the UK we have freeview and Sky, freeview is erm Free, whereas Sky ironically costs the earth. How does that compare to Oz TV? Also I think I understand from these forums that my current TV won't pick up Oz channels, is that right?

No, UK TV is formatted differently I believe so you need Foxtel to watch TV through it. Foxtel is more expensive than Sky (I think anyway) we pay $102 per month for everything apart from Movies + HD + ff, record etc (yes you have to pay extra for that here!). They have the digi boxes as well if you want to watch the free channels - but I'm sure they'll drive you nuts with the amount of advert breaks in them!!

To watch UK tv we've downloaded UblockUs to stream things from the UK/USA - we hook it up to the TV using a HDMI cable, works really well.

No, UK TV is formatted differently I believe so you need Foxtel to watch TV through it. Foxtel is more expensive than Sky (I think anyway) we pay $102 per month for everything apart from Movies + HD + ff, record etc (yes you have to pay extra for that here!). They have the digi boxes as well if you want to watch the free channels - but I'm sure they'll drive you nuts with the amount of advert breaks in them!!

To watch UK tv we've downloaded UblockUs to stream things from the UK/USA - we hook it up to the TV using a HDMI cable, works really well.

You don't need Foxtel to watch TV on a UK set, just a set top box, which is the equivalent to freeview. These can be picked up pretty cheaply and will pick up all the free to air channels.

I just download everything from torrent and watch it on either Smart TV, PC or iPad. Try thebox.bz for torrent listings or Torrentz.eu and download using uTorrent.

It's pretty much free except you might need to donate £5 every once in a while to keep your ratio looking good.

Archived