2 weeks in WA - Carpenter, info on other trades too

kimsdu

Hi guys i was going to wait until after Xmas for an arrival report but so much has happened i thought best to do one now....

FLIGHTS: Flew with Malaysia AMAZING pretty much half empty flight so me and the OH had a whole row each... Took of at 10pm so made my bed and slept solid for 9hrs watched the new Batman movie then landed in Kuala Lumpar.

Food was really good except curry for breakfast!

KL airport is really nice , loads to do TVs, coffee shops, smoking lounge if you like, lots of seating.... 2 hrs here felt like 20 mins.

KL to PERTH 5 and half hrs no sleeping on this one just 2 movies and grub then we were landing... Got in at 1:30am drove to Bunbury bed at 4:30am till 10 am ... NO JETLAG for us at all.

We stayed in Bunbury for 2 days before heading to Margaret River where we will definitly stay for the summer at least.. (Husband surfer)

CARS. Had every intention of dropping $10,000 on a vehicle within first month and then renting a car until then..... However we bought a Hyundai excel of Gumtree for $1200 the very next day.. It was cheaper than renting and its very reliable, We may sell it for same price later down the line... You really need a car to get around here...

BORING STUFF, TFNs, Banking , Medicare,all easy peasy no problems at all.

JOBS. Well we intended to have a months holiday!!! Not the case people are throwing work our way.. OH starts with a big carpentry company after Xmas working for a Kiwi guy... $50 per hr ...thank you very much.. He is also doing a few private jobs in the next few weeks.. (Advice talk to as many people as possible in the street... everyone super friendly and thats where the work contacts come in... Not used to random strangers chatting to you but its really nice.

ME ... been offered office admin work to start January, But cleaners are making $25 per hour here and its their busy time!! Im doing a few hrs for someone we met just for something to do... Trust me there is loads of work.

RENTAL We got lucky and have a great townhouse for $230 per week i found this before we arrived on facebook (Margaret River buy sell and swap) There is a buy sell swap for most towns and that is where you find the private rentals... We have ours its fully furnished moved in after a week... We can have it for as short or long as we want but have signed a 3 month lease with the view to extend if we like... (We want to buy in the year so may stay here and save hard)

Its a great area but only had broadband here for 6 months... Some towns a few miles away still do not have it or phone coverage!! Be warned it is great in the bigger areas but the towns in between are basically a general store and a gas station....

BUNBURY Nice place and lots of work opportunities

BUSSELTON Really nice

MARGARET RIVER Really nice area, Great surf, lots of jobs for tourism, chefs will do well here.

FREINDS: Met too many people already but it is a surf town so have a common interest

*** BITS Not quite sure why brickies have been taken off the list as the local paper always has about 15 bricky jobs listed compared to other trades which is alot lower. Also office manager!! Strewth the amount of people crying out for them here is crazy, I do office admin but looks like i would easily get a managerial position if i applied for one!!!!

OTHER TRADES Got a few electrician mates that have been here for 4 months and 6 months... ALL are having a tough time with the trade politics and struggle to get work unless apprentice position.. (They do not test out here but are starting to do so next yr by law apparently and 1 friend is showing them how to test now although he is employed as the bottom guy!!!! He comes home bitching... The level in UK is so much higher according to him.

STUFF TO DO: Loads to do but you will need wheels...

Lots of secondhand furniture and stuff so glad we didnt ship ours its all in great nick... Again BUY SELL SWAP pages on facebook.. Garage sales here are on every corner!!

WHAT ELSE: Just to say we are loving it everything is falling into place... 2 weeks in and we have spent maybe £3000, includes buying a car, tv, washing machine, pots pans, plates etc, first months rent and bond.... We love the beaches , the weather and lifestyle.... Lamb chopes are sooo cheap $3.00 for 2 big ones!!!! YUM

PS........ TV is quite terrible ..........

Ok i will write more after new yr when we both start work....... Good luck to those still waiting and those close to flying.....:xmas23:

sounds great, we spent a fortune in Perth. 230 a week sounds amazing. here anything under 600 is rubbish

All the cars here for around a few thousand were complete piles. I spend 7K on something average but think it wasnt a bad purchase here.

sounds great, we spent a fortune in Perth. 230 a week sounds amazing. here anything under 600 is rubbish

All the cars here for around a few thousand were complete piles. I spend 7K on something average but think it wasnt a bad purchase here.

We got our car from a single mum who had recently hooked up with a mine worker... So she now has a new fancy car and a new fancy house LOL Just found it on Gumtree even if it blows up next week we have saved on what car rental would have cost us... (However we have done sooo many miles already and it seems sound.) We will be getting a Hilux in a few months though.....

With the accommodation it seems we have got very lucky as there is a rental crisis in Margs... Our place is amazing i have to keep pinching myself!!

Great post, glad you've done so well. Love Margaret River, the pubs on the main street are great and a lot of live music for free. Try the Raging Bull beer from the Bootleg Brewery, one of the nicest I've had anywhere. It's not too far away and I bet you can have a good laugh there around Christmas, should be a few parties.

Always wondered what the job situation would be like and noticed a few jobs pinned up on noticeboards when we have been down there. Sounds better than I thought it would be.

Have a great Christmas, glad things are working out. Be careful in the surf.... I'm sure you've realised it can be big and dangerous.

Kimsdu - a very positive arrival report, thanks, and you have done so well. I have family in Margs and know it well, and was so surprised about you finding a rental so easily and so cheaply. Well done because that certainly isn't the norm. Jobs do become harder to get down there in the winter, but hey, if you are prepared to do anything in the summer, that is great. If you want a good coffee by the way, go to Yahava Coffee on the corner of Rosabrook Road and the Bussel Highway - about 2-3 kms south of town. Yummy cookie place next door too, and if you are into Knitting and stuff or want home made gifts etc, try Margaret River Wool Company next to Yahava. Enjoy your time in that wonderful town and please post more, especially about your experiences of your first Australian Christmas.

Fantastic News Kimsdu and Well Done to you guys for getting everything into place. It just shows what can be done with a little imagination and planning beforehand. Thanks also for the very good advice you have given to us :notworthy: More things to jot down in the back book.

You are incredibly lucky, M River is one of our family's all time favourites and we really cannot wait to go back there and hear the words "mind the roo poo" as we check into our cabins in the natural park, such a beautiful town.

Wishing you a lovely christmas and enjoy the rest of your summer before work starts.:xmas24:

Guest scrumpy

All sounds good, well done!

We are thinking of Bunbury, maybe next year

Much work for plumbers, hairdresser, labouring or just a job you can turn up and not think or work too hard there?

By the way its very cold in Cornwall at mo, un-gritted roads are vicious! but no worries as warming up end of the week, due to more torrential rain and stroms comeing

Cheers

Loved your post very reassuring.We are moving in march to Aubin grove, Hubby is a carpenter / joiner and has been running our own business for 24 years. I work in childcare and we have two young boys so will look out for your updates.

All sounds good, well done!

We are thinking of Bunbury, maybe next year

Much work for plumbers, hairdresser, labouring or just a job you can turn up and not think or work too hard there?

By the way its very cold in Cornwall at mo, un-gritted roads are vicious! but no worries as warming up end of the week, due to more torrential rain and stroms comeing

Cheers

Hi scrumpy, I did notice that there was alot of hairdresser jobs, The thing is they love to post on notice boards here so you really need to look on those, Also just chatting to random people jobs appear that are not advertised. Its definitley "who you know".. This is how my OH got the carpentry job it was not advertised just a random chat in a coffee shop by chance!!!

Plumbers i dont think will have a problem but i will check the local paper classifieds on Friday and get back to you..

As for not working too hard jobs.... Loads of those mate thats why i am thinking about just working in a coffee shop for $25.00 or as a cleaner for up to $30.00... Will keep you all posted.

Another little thing........

Yesterday myself and husband bought a chest of drawers from a couple in the town that we had seen advertised, The guy there was a tradie and as we all got talking he gave my hubby 4 leads for the companies doing all the major building work in the area and surrounding areas, This is where this guy gets all his work... Told OH to say this guy sent him ........... It just goes to show its who you know out here and who you meet.....and i have to say i have been overwhelmed by the friendliness of people and their attitude. People who dont know us but willing to put their name forward so that you work!!

Well as it turns out my OH now starts work on Monday and not after Xmas as planned... There is alot of houses going up here and tradies are in demand... So far all the job leads here have NOT been advertised it has been through meeting RANDOM but extremely FRIENDLY strangers.....

This is a fantastic post and you have made me feel much more confident about moving in just over 3 weeks however we will be based near Victoria Park.

My partners a carpenter aswell so hopefully he will be just as lucky with work. Cross fingers

Thanks for taking the time to write such a positive post

Cathryn

Guest scrumpy

Hi Kimsdu, Im trying to work out how you got everything sorted and we are still waiting!!

Am I right in thinking your man passed his IELTS in Plymouth and then got application in before July 1st?

I failed at Plymouth (0.5 of a point!!!) and therefore got tangled up with all the new stuff brought in after July,

Cheerz

Scrumpy

(Cornwall is now wet n wild again!!)

Hi Kimsdu, Im trying to work out how you got everything sorted and we are still waiting!!

Am I right in thinking your man passed his IELTS in Plymouth and then got application in before July 1st?

I failed at Plymouth (0.5 of a point!!!) and therefore got tangled up with all the new stuff brought in after July,

Cheerz

Scrumpy

(Cornwall is now wet n wild again!!)

Hi Scrumpy, Yes he did take IELTS in Plymouth but we did not make it before July 1st. We lodged our EOI on July 8th, Received WA State sponsorship in August sometime so lodged visa in Sept, Had meds and Pccs all done by end of Sept and had the visa grant on OCT 11th...... My OH actually only got band 7 in the first IELTS so we had already paid for a do over but then they dropped the points to 60 and he didnt need it anymore!!!!! Anyway it was paid for so he went and took it anyway and he got all 8s and 9s....

Scrumpy are you doing the 190 or the 189? I know others who im in contact with who lodged the 189 visa prior to July and are still waiting too...

Guest scrumpy
Hi Scrumpy, Yes he did take IELTS in Plymouth but we did not make it before July 1st. We lodged our EOI on July 8th, Received WA State sponsorship in August sometime so lodged visa in Sept, Had meds and Pccs all done by end of Sept and had the visa grant on OCT 11th...... My OH actually only got band 7 in the first IELTS so we had already paid for a do over but then they dropped the points to 60 and he didnt need it anymore!!!!! Anyway it was paid for so he went and took it anyway and he got all 8s and 9s....

Scrumpy are you doing the 190 or the 189? I know others who im in contact with who lodged the 189 visa prior to July and are still waiting too...

Were on a 190, but WOW yours seem to go threw quick, like your other half I am now on 65points with 8s and above on IELTS , it dose seem to take ages, but looking at your posts it will be worth the wait

Cheerz

Hi guys i was going to wait until after Xmas for an arrival report but so much has happened i thought best to do one now....

FLIGHTS: Flew with Malaysia AMAZING pretty much half empty flight so me and the OH had a whole row each... Took of at 10pm so made my bed and slept solid for 9hrs watched the new Batman movie then landed in Kuala Lumpar.

Food was really good except curry for breakfast!

KL airport is really nice , loads to do TVs, coffee shops, smoking lounge if you like, lots of seating.... 2 hrs here felt like 20 mins.

KL to PERTH 5 and half hrs no sleeping on this one just 2 movies and grub then we were landing... Got in at 1:30am drove to Bunbury bed at 4:30am till 10 am ... NO JETLAG for us at all.

We stayed in Bunbury for 2 days before heading to Margaret River where we will definitly stay for the summer at least.. (Husband surfer)

CARS. Had every intention of dropping $10,000 on a vehicle within first month and then renting a car until then..... However we bought a Hyundai excel of Gumtree for $1200 the very next day.. It was cheaper than renting and its very reliable, We may sell it for same price later down the line... You really need a car to get around here...

BORING STUFF, TFNs, Banking , Medicare,all easy peasy no problems at all.

JOBS. Well we intended to have a months holiday!!! Not the case people are throwing work our way.. OH starts with a big carpentry company after Xmas working for a Kiwi guy... $50 per hr ...thank you very much.. He is also doing a few private jobs in the next few weeks.. (Advice talk to as many people as possible in the street... everyone super friendly and thats where the work contacts come in... Not used to random strangers chatting to you but its really nice.

ME ... been offered office admin work to start January, But cleaners are making $25 per hour here and its their busy time!! Im doing a few hrs for someone we met just for something to do... Trust me there is loads of work.

RENTAL We got lucky and have a great townhouse for $230 per week i found this before we arrived on facebook (Margaret River buy sell and swap) There is a buy sell swap for most towns and that is where you find the private rentals... We have ours its fully furnished moved in after a week... We can have it for as short or long as we want but have signed a 3 month lease with the view to extend if we like... (We want to buy in the year so may stay here and save hard)

Its a great area but only had broadband here for 6 months... Some towns a few miles away still do not have it or phone coverage!! Be warned it is great in the bigger areas but the towns in between are basically a general store and a gas station....

BUNBURY Nice place and lots of work opportunities

BUSSELTON Really nice

MARGARET RIVER Really nice area, Great surf, lots of jobs for tourism, chefs will do well here.

FREINDS: Met too many people already but it is a surf town so have a common interest

*** BITS Not quite sure why brickies have been taken off the list as the local paper always has about 15 bricky jobs listed compared to other trades which is alot lower. Also office manager!! Strewth the amount of people crying out for them here is crazy, I do office admin but looks like i would easily get a managerial position if i applied for one!!!!

OTHER TRADES Got a few electrician mates that have been here for 4 months and 6 months... ALL are having a tough time with the trade politics and struggle to get work unless apprentice position.. (They do not test out here but are starting to do so next yr by law apparently and 1 friend is showing them how to test now although he is employed as the bottom guy!!!! He comes home bitching... The level in UK is so much higher according to him.

STUFF TO DO: Loads to do but you will need wheels...

Lots of secondhand furniture and stuff so glad we didnt ship ours its all in great nick... Again BUY SELL SWAP pages on facebook.. Garage sales here are on every corner!!

WHAT ELSE: Just to say we are loving it everything is falling into place... 2 weeks in and we have spent maybe £3000, includes buying a car, tv, washing machine, pots pans, plates etc, first months rent and bond.... We love the beaches , the weather and lifestyle.... Lamb chopes are sooo cheap $3.00 for 2 big ones!!!! YUM

PS........ TV is quite terrible ..........

Ok i will write more after new yr when we both start work....... Good luck to those still waiting and those close to flying.....:xmas23:

WOW! KIMSDU,THATS A GREAT POST!Im a chippy coming out with oh and two kids at the end of jan,sounds like a dream start to you adventure! Its really reasuring to here theres plenty of work for chippys and tradies in general,after reading a lot of neagative posts on here.We are staying in scarbourogh for the first month and looking to be working after the first couple.

HOPE YOUR DREAM START CONTINUES AND KEEP US POSTED!

Kimsdu hope you were part of the Christmas Carols in the Park at Margaret River on Friday.... was a great night. I was there with my family and wondered all the time if you were part of the huge crowd... brilliant night - hope you were there and if so hope you enjoyed it.,....

Kimsdu hope you were part of the Christmas Carols in the Park at Margaret River on Friday.... was a great night. I was there with my family and wondered all the time if you were part of the huge crowd... brilliant night - hope you were there and if so hope you enjoyed it.,....

I wasnt there as we had friends in town from Bunbury... But its all everyone has been talking about so wish we had gone now!!!

Are you in town then?

WOW! KIMSDU,THATS A GREAT POST!Im a chippy coming out with oh and two kids at the end of jan,sounds like a dream start to you adventure! Its really reasuring to here theres plenty of work for chippys and tradies in general,after reading a lot of neagative posts on here.We are staying in scarbourogh for the first month and looking to be working after the first couple.

HOPE YOUR DREAM START CONTINUES AND KEEP US POSTED!

Hi Benny, You wont have any problems getting work ... As they say here if you are a chippie you will start work Yesterday!!!! I cannot understand the negative posts or those who have not been able to find work, (I too read those before we arrived and was a little nervous) Anyway lots of new builds going up in Perth area .

Well OH started work this morning went prepared, looking forward to hearing about his first day......

NEGATIVE BLOODY HELL THE FLIES...... SO FAR THE ONLY NEGATIVE ABOUT THIS BEAUTIFUL PLACE........

Archived