2 weeks in WA - Carpenter, info on other trades too

kimsdu

I wasnt there as we had friends in town from Bunbury... But its all everyone has been talking about so wish we had gone now!!!

Are you in town then?

Hi Kimsdu.... no back in Perth now - was just down there for 3 days doing the "Santa Run" with pressie exchanges between Perth based and Margs based families. The flies were a menace this weekend though. Went down to Boranup Gallery (off Caves Rd) yesterday. Brilliant place by the way and as your OH is a "wood" man, am sure he would appreciate some of the incredible furniture there. We had coffee outside the cafe there and the flies were in plague proportions almost! Hate em! Not sure you ever get used to them either!

What a fab post, thank you for sharing! So nice to see a positive post from someone who was clearly prepared for anything! I cant wait to have our first aussie xmas in the sun next year, oh said the forecast for perth on xmas day is 38 degrees!!

Yep, 38 for Christmas Day and 40+ for Boxing Day. Thank Goodness we live close to the beach, it always feels a lot cooler down there and if you get too hot just jump in for a swim.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Love the post. My husbands a carpenter and we arrived NOR in October. He really struggled to find work even after calling a visiting loads of sites everday. Maybe there is more demand down south?! Although there is a lot of biulding work all over Perth a lot want you to have WA experience, so I am not sure you can say its easy to get a tradie job. My husband has over 10 years experience and he is now working but he ist being paid anyhwere close to what your OH is on.

Lisa

x

Hi

Love the post. My husbands a carpenter and we arrived NOR in October. He really struggled to find work even after calling a visiting loads of sites everday. Maybe there is more demand down south?! Although there is a lot of biulding work all over Perth a lot want you to have WA experience, so I am not sure you can say its easy to get a tradie job. My husband has over 10 years experience and he is now working but he ist being paid anyhwere close to what your OH is on.

Lisa

x

Im sorry your OH has had a hard time getting work i was told by many a tradie that you literally have to bug the main guy onsite until they hire you... We did get lucky with OHs job, Also you can drive around new house builds and ask who has the carpentry contract but you have to make sure you see the main guy..... Hubby was snapped up because as a British chippy they can do roof carpentry aswell as 1st and 2nd fix.... Also it may be because down here nobody is from here, So many South Africans, Brits and Kiwis... People are used to this... Some big companies run by Brits and OH works for a Kiwi guy.....

OH has also been doing private jobs over the holidays for $40 per hour , Mostly on holiday homes...

Are you settled in NOR ?

Im sorry your OH has had a hard time getting work i was told by many a tradie that you literally have to bug the main guy onsite until they hire you... We did get lucky with OHs job, Also you can drive around new house builds and ask who has the carpentry contract but you have to make sure you see the main guy..... Hubby was snapped up because as a British chippy they can do roof carpentry aswell as 1st and 2nd fix.... Also it may be because down here nobody is from here, So many South Africans, Brits and Kiwis... People are used to this... Some big companies run by Brits and OH works for a Kiwi guy.....

OH has also been doing private jobs over the holidays for $40 per hour , Mostly on holiday homes...

Are you settled in NOR ?

Hi

Yes we are NOR. My husband has roofing expeirence but the roofs here are very different and eveyone was asking for WA experience and if you didnt have any they were instantly not interested! He has work now so hoepfully things will be fine, but I dont think its as easy as it used to be, even if you have loads of expeirence and you put loads of effort in to finding work. My husband must have spoken to 100 people before he got a break.

Lisa

x

Sounds like you have been very lucky Kimsdu. Most tradies i have met have struggled to find decent jobs when they first arrive and your OH is the first carpenter i have heard of earning $50 ph, They don't even get that on union jobs or the mines in Perth i reckon most are lucky to get $30-$35.

Hi

Yes we are NOR. My husband has roofing expeirence but the roofs here are very different and eveyone was asking for WA experience and if you didnt have any they were instantly not interested! He has work now so hoepfully things will be fine, but I dont think its as easy as it used to be, even if you have loads of expeirence and you put loads of effort in to finding work. My husband must have spoken to 100 people before he got a break.

Lisa

x

There aren't any carpenters here, all chippies do here is hang a few doors and put up a couple of shelves, unless you're on the roofing then that's all you do, quite a lot of chippies waste their time bringing over their tools,i know one who was just shuttering and only needed a nail bar.....lol....some go into paramount sheeting but as far as being like a Chippie in the uk goes FORGET IT

I am over in sydney seams to be a lot of work about at the moment but wages being offered are a bit lower than about 18 months ago,the standard you get here is staggering from people who call themselves a carpenter who can't do the basics to some top guys wages range from $30 - 45 you might get $50 after you have proved yourself and only if you are a PTY company.

Sounds like you have been very lucky Kimsdu. Most tradies i have met have struggled to find decent jobs when they first arrive and your OH is the first carpenter i have heard of earning $50 ph, They don't even get that on union jobs or the mines in Perth i reckon most are lucky to get $30-$35.

Hi just to explain, The guy my OH is working for basically had too much work on and not enough chippies, He was turning down work as he could not fulfill it. (He was desperate)Basically my OH and another guy are being paid $50 to get the major stuff done , which will take them until February. After that then the regular wage that my OH will be on is just $40 ....

Having now been here a month and having a little more knowledge we do realise how lucky OH is..... Most of the chippies here are on $30 - $40 per hour .. All apart from one guy we have spoken to are on the $40 ph rate.

OH has also been doing some private jobs over the holidays whilst his company is shut down.. He is charging $40 per hour on the privates.

• 3 weeks later...
hi kimsdu....can i just ask if ur partner shipped over any tools for his carpentry. myself and hubby are moving to Busselton in september.

We shipped OHs tools but they still have not arrived they are due here end of Feb....

We knew we would have to buy some tools when we arrived so he sold alot of his power tools which we replaced here.... They have great places called cash converters where he got all his makita power tools from.(There are alot of those stores so shop around and always pay less than price on stuff... Cash talks and we have knocked at least $100 of price by haggling.... Sanders, drills etc etc. We spent about $1500 on new tools within the first week of arriving. (Still a hell of alot cheaper than flying them out!!)

Bunnings is a big store where you can buy all your hand tools.

Some of the guys my OH works with do not even own their own tools and use the companies BUT my OH did not want to be that guy !!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi kimsdu, im a builder coming out soon, I noticed your car purchase, do you think its worth coming down there to buy a car and bring it back up north of perth, just wondered, great post by the way

• 3 weeks later...
Hi kimsdu, im a builder coming out soon, I noticed your car purchase, do you think its worth coming down there to buy a car and bring it back up north of perth, just wondered, great post by the way

Sorry just seen this been in Bali lol ... Cars are cheaper in Perth than down here, We bought our other vehicles from up there much more choice and will be better prices.

It sounds amazing I carnt wait till we fly out hopefully end of October fingers crossed.which area are you living?we are going to Torquay in Victoria I'm a teaching assistant and hubby is a joiner he is oing to see if he can get work before we move out . I have heard that the aussies are so much friendly to the uk. Are you getting used to the dollars yet?

Archived