Anyone visited Australia for a Holiday or Recci & found Oz is Not for them??

Robo234

Hi everyone been on here a while now but this time starting my own post!

Just been thinking i know as most people say on here its different when you go on holiday to actually moving to live there, but sometimes its about 'a feeling' you get from somewhere too...? Is there anyone that has gone on holiday there & fell in love with Oz to later move there & have a happy ending?

Or has anyone gone there on a Recci thinking of Emigrating there but changed there mind because they didn't think Oz was for them in the end?

Ellen x :xmas27:

Edited by Robo234

I shouldnt really be posting because i neither came for a reccie or a holiday before moving to Oz but just thought it was a great question......but if i had come out beforehand and coming from not far from you in the UK (Sheffield) im sure i would have fallen in love with the place cos i would have been just on hols and it is colourvision opposed to what we are used toIf you come and hate the place then great youve saved yourself an emotional turmoil and thousands of pounds. If you come and love it and move, then reality kicks in cos life goes on you are on no better a footing than people like myself that never visited before. Theres pluses and minuses but weighing it up unless you really hate it on sight you will never be sure unless you try it as a native

I went on Holiday backpacking for a few months. I never had any intention of moving there in the slightest, just wanted to have a look around because the place interested me and I wanted to visit some friends. Now I'm working on moving there, so yeah, I totally fell in love with the place!

Good luck, whatever you decide. X

We visited Sydney to see family 2 years ago April, hubbies family and he had been out to see them before we met, he wanted me to see if i liked it so we went on a 2 week holiday and took our daughter who was 4 at the time. i went with it set in my mind that i wouldnt like it and had no intention of ever considering moving there call it being stuborn lol. Only it didnt feel like a holiday it felt like home, it truely did steal my heart and our daughter didnt want to come home. Iam a true welsh girl but i left a part of me behind when i got back on that plane back home and dreading landing back in the uk. our visas are now approved and will be moving to Perth next year for find that missing part of me. I hope it will be a happy ending - but one things for sure nobody can say we didnt try to improve our life and provide a better one for our daughter life in the UK for us isnt great right now Ive lost my job of 11 years 40% of staff at my husbands works have been layed off. If I dont try i will never know if dont want to live and regreat I want to give it ago nobody said it would be easy but i have one life and i want to live it. Right iam signing off now as I am a sap and iam crying ha ha.

Sarah

We visited Sydney to see family 2 years ago April, hubbies family and he had been out to see them before we met, he wanted me to see if i liked it so we went on a 2 week holiday and took our daughter who was 4 at the time. i went with it set in my mind that i wouldnt like it and had no intention of ever considering moving there call it being stuborn lol. Only it didnt feel like a holiday it felt like home, it truely did steal my heart and our daughter didnt want to come home. Iam a true welsh girl but i left a part of me behind when i got back on that plane back home and dreading landing back in the uk. our visas are now approved and will be moving to Perth next year for find that missing part of me. I hope it will be a happy ending - but one things for sure nobody can say we didnt try to improve our life and provide a better one for our daughter life in the UK for us isnt great right now Ive lost my job of 11 years 40% of staff at my husbands works have been layed off. If I dont try i will never know if dont want to live and regreat I want to give it ago nobody said it would be easy but i have one life and i want to live it. Right iam signing off now as I am a sap and iam crying ha ha.

Sarah

Hi Sarah

what part of Wales are you from??. We are from Cardiff and also moving to Perth :xmas23: We took a reccie there last year , and I think because we stayed with family and I was still cooking and doing food shopping etc didn't feel completely like we were on holiday mode and now can't wait to get back out there! Good luck

For some reason i had decided to apply for my permanent residency without ever visiting oz. i had been so excited about the whole thought and was so relieved that the visa was approved.

i had to go on my reccie last xmas, and i distinctly remember a gradual nervous feeling on the build up to the day i flew out. All of a sudden i started to think, what happens if i don't like it, what happens if its not what you imagined it to be.

fortunately i wasn't disappointed though. I remember walking down George street thinking that i cant wait to get to know this place. 18 months to go now, and it couldn't come soon enough.

good luck all

H

We never visited before we emigrated, but we'd firmly decided that the UK was never going to offer us the lifestyle we'd worked hard for, and so it's proving.

It's exceeded our expectations and we haven't had a bad day in 11 months.

If you've got your feet on the ground, are flexible and can make good decisions, you'll love it here. It's not "easier" than the UK, it's just better.

Thanks fifi69, your story was ace, so glad you posted & Yeahhh' Sheffield' ... Hello!.. seen you on here plenty but never knew u were from round corner (almost lol!). Thanks madcow. Nice story annagilda. Loved your story Sarah ahh.. bless you lol. & thanks humph.

Keep posting everyone but there's more good stories out there....

Ellen x

Here's one.

I moved to oz to live and work having never visited(partner had seven times). I have bought a property and have been in full time employment since landing. BUT I know Australia is just not for me. I would much rather prefer living and working in the uk. Unfortunately the work isnt there in the uk and neither is my immediate family.

Dont get me wrong im not unhappy(though I was for at least the first six months) I just think the uk is a much nicer place to live in many different ways.

Also having said all that,we will probably end up living in oz the rest of our lives.

**** happens!

The first time we flew out to WA we sort of expected to be captivated by the country and lifestyle, and to a large extent we were. We had an amazing holiday, loved spending time with family, exploring and generally doing stuff that we don’t normally do. But to our surprise it didn’t blow us away. We loved the holiday, but at the end of it were quite happy to return home and to the life we have here in the UK.

I did try to explain it once to a recently arrived ex pat in WA, but from her look of confusion and disbelief I guess I didn’t do a very good job. Maybe it just comes down to what you have, and what you feel is missing in life. For us home is here in the UK, because all the pieces fit. Tx

The first time we flew out to WA we sort of expected to be captivated by the country and lifestyle, and to a large extent we were. We had an amazing holiday, loved spending time with family, exploring and generally doing stuff that we don’t normally do. But to our surprise it didn’t blow us away. We loved the holiday, but at the end of it were quite happy to return home and to the life we have here in the UK.

I did try to explain it once to a recently arrived ex pat in WA, but from her look of confusion and disbelief I guess I didn’t do a very good job. Maybe it just comes down to what you have, and what you feel is missing in life. For us home is here in the UK, because all the pieces fit. Tx

You might have a different point of view if it hadn't been WA, which can be a bit one dimensional.

Hi Sarah

what part of Wales are you from??. We are from Cardiff and also moving to Perth :xmas23: We took a reccie there last year , and I think because we stayed with family and I was still cooking and doing food shopping etc didn't feel completely like we were on holiday mode and now can't wait to get back out there! Good luck

Hi there,

Iam orginally from Cardiff (Victoria Park) but now live in Beddau. What part of Cardiff are your from? We are hoping to be in Perth May time how about you?

Sarah

I think there is a world of difference between travelling somewhere for a holiday (even if it is with a view to emigrating) and actually living/working somewhere on an ongoing basis. It is easy to love somewhere when you are just partying. But if you come on a holiday or recce and it doesn't feel right then I would listen to your heart. If it's not right in optimal circumstances then it certainly won't improve by adding routine, familiarity and drudge.

My experience was the exact opposite of the question that started this topic.

All my life I'd discounted Australia as "too hot" "too remote" "too macho" and so on. However, in the late 1990s I visited Australia (Sydney, Darwin and Perth) on business and was surprised by what I found. That one trip planted the "hmmm, I could live there" seed and, as of five years ago, here I am!