Starting over at 34 - Sydney or London???

Guest bellyboo

No, on the forum...I leave the pissing contents alone as it's not where the interesting folk hang out. I regret taking the mick out of your silly generalisation now as I thought you might be a good sport about it...don't want to be dragged into the crud end of the forum. Adios.

Thought you had gone....ohhh hang on more posts further on.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Well I've been hanging around this site for days now, reading bits and bobs and I've finally worked up the courage to...ask complete strangers for advice via an anonymous site :) So here goes:

I'm a mid thirties Australian female living in mainland Europe with my fiancé. We were due to return to Aus in Feb very early next year and get married. Things took a nasty turn a few months ago and we are now splitting up. His job is here, so he won't be leaving, and it is up to me to make the next move in my life. Option 1 - go back to family and friends in Aus, get a job, carry on living life and get over the breakup in the comfort of familiarity, sun, and a guaranteed job . Option 2 - take a risk, move to London, try and get a job, a flat, new friends etc etc - basically a new life from scratch.

Why am I in a quandary? Well, because for the past 2 years living in Europe I have travelled extensively, experienced new cultures, started to learn a new language, learnt about real seasons and the magic of a white christmas, and have even learnt to run in snow by embracing the Dutch saying of "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing". However I've also been homesick, had culture shock, have realised I hate the lack of sun/light in winter more than anything, and have sometimes struggled to find work due to lack of the local language. To top it all off - I can relate to a lot of posts on here about dissatisfaction with living in Australia, and am myself very disgusted and disappointed with the emerging levels of racism and violence, and worry that going back straight away will also result in the "oh crap, now I'm back - so now what"? We have a great group of friends here, a lot Aussie, most away for the same amount of time (around 2 years) and nearly all of them are reconsidering returning to Aus for at least another 5 years - if at all.

However the flipside of the coin is - moving to London is a big risk - it will be socially isolating as I don't know a soul and am leaving everything behind (really everything -even my dog, as I don't think I will find a place looking like crazy dog lady), it seems very expensive, I would have to flatshare after 6 years of building a home, it seems very hard to make friends, to get a job, to have a decent standard of living etc etc - and it will be the middle of winter when usually people are at their lowest ebb.

Believe it or not my question is not about relationships - these things happen and you just have to deal with them :err:, but I am asking those that have lived in both the UK and Aus if you think London is worth taking a risk on and moving to, or in your experience it can be a hard place to live when you are emotionally vulnerable, and it would be better to go back to Aus where I know I can get a good job, have someone to go out with on a Friday night, and at least get to end winter early and rediscover paddle boarding on the harbour (I'm from Syd) before work :)....

I have read a few threads that really seem to convince me to take a chance, pack it all in and just go to London and see what happens, but then I read others about how hard it is to live there, how crappy the rental housing situation is, blah blah. For me, now that I am going to be on my own for the firs time in 6 years, financial security is going to be paramount, and I can only command around 35-40k in London (according to recruiters) however was on much more than that at my last job in Aus.

Is London worth the risk at my age? Is Australia really that bad??

I love London, to visit on a regular basis ........but live there no chance ........as some have posted it can be a very lonely and competitive place ......i remember my first trip down to london ......me and a mate down from Brum ......we couldnt believe everyone sat on the tube .....and no one spoke to each other ......we openly took the p.ss out of everyone in the carraige ...............miserable ......sad ......buggers ...........heads buried in a book or the newspaper ......its still the same .

On the same trip , i got pushed onto the tube train , as the doors opened ......by an impatient old lady

Sydney for me ......if your FAMILY is there ......or somewhere else in the U.K

I love London, to visit on a regular basis ........but live there no chance ........as some have posted it can be a very lonely and competitive place ......i remember my first trip down to london ......me and a mate down from Brum ......we couldnt believe everyone sat on the tube .....and no one spoke to each other ......we openly took the p.ss out of everyone in the carraige ...............miserable ......sad ......buggers ...........heads buried in a book or the newspaper ......its still the same .

On the same trip , i got pushed onto the tube train , as the doors opened ......by an impatient old lady

Sydney for me ......if your FAMILY is there ......or somewhere else in the U.K

ps Thats probably because iam a miserable old b.stard

No it's not like that in Perth after Christmas at all. It's not grey, cloudy and cold, a lot of holidaymakers are here, it just carries on.

I would imagine it might be like the UK in places with the same sort of climate, where people go out at Christmas and overspend, where it is dark when you go to work, dark when you come home, you have to scrape the ice of the car before you go to work and hope it starts, then sit in a traffic jam for an hour to get there.

Cant say i disagree with the majority of that Paul .......my pro England posts start again in March ......hands up .....i hate the winter wherever iam ..............true , about the traffic ......but i know all the back ways ......i dont like the cold or the dark nights .....end of .......

Might depend on how you are feeling re the break up . If you have dealt with it and confident to move on then why not give London a go? You can always move home if it's not for you. But if you are feeling emotionally crippled by the break up I think you would be better going home to be around the people that care about you not living with strangers.

Just my thoughts. Up to you in the end to do what suits you best xx good luck

I can relate to that. I like both cities too but also don't compare them - there's no comparison to be had really, Sydney is a great relaxed (yes really, Paul1Perth) easy place to live with lots of natural beauty, an incomparable setting and a fab and accessible coastline. London is a dynamic maelstrom of business and creative/arts energy and a true global city, a Metropolis. Very different animals

I really like Sydney and I'm sure it can be a relaxing place if you live there in the right area. I've only been there on work trips but have had some great weekends when I've not had to work but it's not been worth, or cost affective, coming back to Perth for the weekend. Usually stay at the Holiday Inn Potts Point or the Blue at Woolloomalloo. Good places to stay and I usually walk everywhere to get a good feel for the City. I know Sydney a lot better than I do Perth.

If you live on the North Shore I'm sure it's wonderful there, some fantastic beaches and scenery. Both me and the wife have said we could have easily settled in Sydney but we would have needed a lot more money there for an equivalent lifestyle.

yep, the lack of light at night in oz is depressing, why do people still vote to keep the stupid clock times.

Personally I know one person who voted for the daylight saving time. Everyone else I know was totally against it. The best time of day in Perth is really early morning. From around 05:00am at the moment is just about perfect. Depends what you like doing of course but the crowd we knock around with all like getting up early and exercising then going for a coffee before work. Brilliant start to the day.

You can exercise at night, of course but a lot of the time during summer (it's not started yet as the days have been pretty calm) the sea breeze gets up and it's not really pleasant being on the beach in the evening, getting sandblasted. It's still light enough to go for a barbecue at the parks, most of them are lit up anyway and we have played cricket with the kids and friends till late a few times under the floodlights.

Perth's weather suits the non daylight saving times. I'm sure the business people would love it to change, 3 hrs difference between here and Sydney can be a bit of a drag if you're trying to work with people over there.

Somehow it never felt light in winter in the UK, just grey.

Gosh, it's the light that really makes it here for me! We've had some fabulous days - or parts of days and the early mornings when I've gone for walks have been quite magical. It's not that harsh bright sunlight but just a clear and crisp winter sunlight. Sure we have the odd grey day but mostly it isn't solidly grey at all - and from all the posts on here it was what I was expecting.

I've spent the last couple of years living in London. I like the place, but it's horrendously expensive.

The biggest cost of being in London is accommodation. A flat share in a decent place is likely to be £600 or £700 a month, possibly with bills and council tax (around £100) on top, whereas a one bedroom flat could be twice that. Travel is also expensive, with a monthly pass within the city being £150 to £200, and much, much more if you live outside and commute in. Day to day groceries are a bit more than in Holland, but it's been a few years since I lived out there.

All three of these have risen sharply in price in recent years.

According to the Salary Calculator, take home on £35K to £40K will be between £2200 and £2500 a month, so you can budget from there.

The upside is that there are better career opportunities there, it's the cultural epicentre of the UK, and its sheer size supports niches that smaller cities cannot sustain. So if you're into a particular style of music, or like obscure brands in shops then it's the place to be.

I think that it really depends on what you want to do. If you want to reboot your life and settle somewhere for the long term, then London might not be a great option financially. Furthermore the British economy is pretty shot right now, and it's likely to remain so for another four or five years.

If you're looking for an experience, then a stint in London might not be a bad idea. Find yourself a six to twelve month contract and somewhere to stay, and head back to Sydney in the second half of next year.

I'd also suggest looking at some of the other cities in the UK. Manchester is smaller, but still vibrant, and significantly cheaper. (You can rent a two bedroom flat for the cost of a room in a shared house.) Edinburgh is lovely, though it can be pricey. Brighton used to be really special a decade ago, but seems a bit more mainstream now.

And Aussie cities aren't expensive? Not every body is on high wages in OZ here, life is expensive with apart from the beach has far fewer distractions than London.Sure there is a price to pay living in London..but to live in perhaps the word's greatest city for a few years is worth it in my opinion.

At 34 years of age I suppose it could be getting near to the cut of year,depending on what is wanted at this stage of life. Anyway not all folk have the desire to settle for the quiet conformity of an Aussie suburb and grow kids. That being the case London or indeed Brighton may just be the answer.

Sorry to hear things have not worked out the way you planned.

I really think you should return to Australia, see it as an extended holiday, maybe 6 months or so. London is a fantastic city and will still be there if you decide to go back to Europe. And if not Australia is not a bad place to be either :)

Things have a way of working themselves out if you give it time, I wish you all the best for the future x

Flag of Convenience, I actually agree with your sentiments.

I really like London, and think that the experience would be worthwhile as an adventure, if that's what Bellyboo is after, but it's a sodding expensive place to live. I've got a friend who's in the top 5%, possibly top 1% of earners and he can't afford to buy a house in a reasonable area that's big enough to accommodate his wife and three kids.

If she's looking at a better income in Sydney then it might be worth heading there.

I really like London, and think that the experience would be worthwhile as an adventure, if that's what Bellyboo is after, but it's a sodding expensive place to live. I've got a friend who's in the top 5%, possibly top 1% of earners and he can't afford to buy a house in a reasonable area that's big enough to accommodate his wife and three kids.

If she's looking at a better income in Sydney then it might be worth heading there.

You think Sydney is cheaper?

I agree but Sydney is barely cheaper. One usually must live away from the atractions in order to find something affordable.

While in London it may well be small but could still be living near to the thich of things. May be a shame to miss the oppurtunity to experience London,which offers far more than Sydney overall in things to do.

I think Sydney will always be there...and the age factor may suggest it's now or never...

Guest bellyboo
I believe that Sydney is more expensive than London, but if Bellyboo would be earning (say) $100K there, versus £40K in London then it might put a different spin on things.

Hi everyone,

thanks again for all of your posts - they have been invaluable! I have decided to try and do both...I will go to the UK in late Jan but am looking at areas such as Bromely and Blackheath, instead of inner London, so hopefully i can still afford a decent lifestyle and enjoy a village feel with a not-too-painful commute to London. I will look for a maternity leave cover role so I stay long enough to find out if I enjoy it without having to commit straight up. And I am throwing the majority of my finances into an account in Australia, so I have what I need to start out again once I return.

The time in London is really to dovetail my eventual return to Australia - I don't want to just travel, but will throw myself into work and hope the time in the UK will help on my CV upon returning to Syd.

Thanks for all of your well wishes too - nice to see in this day and age internet strangers don't always have to be feared and reviled - a great website all round .

Bellyboo :)

Guest Bazinga
Hi everyone,

thanks again for all of your posts - they have been invaluable! I have decided to try and do both...I will go to the UK in late Jan but am looking at areas such as Bromely and Blackheath, instead of inner London, so hopefully i can still afford a decent lifestyle and enjoy a village feel with a not-too-painful commute to London. I will look for a maternity leave cover role so I stay long enough to find out if I enjoy it without having to commit straight up. And I am throwing the majority of my finances into an account in Australia, so I have what I need to start out again once I return.

The time in London is really to dovetail my eventual return to Australia - I don't want to just travel, but will throw myself into work and hope the time in the UK will help on my CV upon returning to Syd.

Thanks for all of your well wishes too - nice to see in this day and age internet strangers don't always have to be feared and reviled - a great website all round .

I don't like either of those areas but I'm a North Londoner at heart!

Hi everyone,

I am glad that you found the thread helpful. I would just be tempted to say ... well if you are going to move to London, might as well do it properly ... and that is not Bromley or Blackheath (although I know Bromely is nice and Blackheath may well be too).

I would think about a little closer to London whilst not being dead central, maybe Putney or Wimbledon or Richmond? Clapham was the place to go when I moved, but that was in the mid 90s and I was a 25 year old so I hesitate to recommend that now.

Edited by Rupert

I am glad that you found the thread helpful. I would just be tempted to say ... well if you are going to move to London, might as well do it properly ... and that is not Bromley or Blackheath (although I know Bromely is nice and Blackheath may well be too).

I would think about a little closer to London whilst not being dead central, maybe Putney or Wimbledon or Richmond? Clapham was the place to go when I moved, but that was in the mid 90s and I was a 25 year old so I hesitate to recommend that now.

I would certainly second that. Not keen on the two Bs .....but the three mentioned above are all good.....

• 1 year later...