Can't get a teaching job!!!!

Tibby

Hi all. After a few months of settling in etc, I am now looking for my first teaching post in and around the suburbs of Melbs. I have 15 years experience including 2 as Head of Faculty in the UK and have full VIT registration, but I can't get work! CRT is my last chance and I'm with Tradewind for that, but I really want a full time position, even if it is only a year's contract.

Has anyone else struggled to get a job? I've applied for about 15 and had 3 interviews, two of which went well but I was pipped to the post. The others have never got back to me. It's getting a bit stressful now! :arghh:

Thanks,

Michelle

I have an Australian colleague in a similar position, been trying to get a permanent post for a year or so now... he's been stuck on the emergency teacher rotation since qualifying. In between teaching jobs he works security to keep the income levels up.

Have you considered as a temporary measure training up the Child Care cert? I know its not teaching but it is working with kids and the predictions are there's going to be a major shortage of trained child care workers over the next couple of years. Better than nothing anyway.

Have you looked at private schools. Also depends what you teach, humanities no shortage, maths science possibly more jobs. I have posted many times that there are no jobs where people want to live, its the same all over the world, desirable means less, undesirable means more.

Also you may be too expensive as graduates are now coming looking for placement for next year. As the schools run budgets they often take teachers with less experience as they are on lower salaries.

To get a permanent position which means you would be employed by the education department you need to head out into the mulga and teach for a few years. My son did that and now he has a permanent position. Also get a bonus for teaching in the bush.

I know of one teacher who recently retired at 55 thinking he could pick up contract work after that, even he cannot find a position, and he just retired. A lot of people who do retire at 55 which was a requirement on agreement they were under then return to teaching on contract so really even though they say we need more teachers because of retirement that is not the case.

Western Suburbs are usually looking for teachers and some of the not so desirable schools always have shortages.

Thank you for your responses! I have applied for both state and private schools, and I am with 3 agencies - the trouble is that I'm an English teacher and, as in the UK, we are ten a penny, and as you have mentioned, I'm expensive! My husband works in the CBD so remoter areas are not on the cards I'm afraid, I just can't get.

I shall carry on regardless - just a bit demoralizing after the career I had in UK - just need to keep an eye on the bigger picture of why we moved out here!!

Thanks again all!

Have you thought about a career change? Now might be a good time! It is very difficult, as the others have said, to get a teaching job in those parts of Australia that people actually want to live in unless you are secondary maths and science and then you have a better chance. You might want to consider something like a cert iv in Training and Assessment - there is probably more scope for adult education than in schools where you would be a more expensive option for a self managing school (and you would get RPL for a good part of the cert!) I had a friend who moved to Ballarat - very experienced, lots of other skills, excellent teacher and it took her more than 4 years to even get a sniff of a year long contract.

Hi Michelle

My wife is an (Australian) English teacher who qualified last year. She has been on 6 month contracts this year and has not got anything guaranteed for next year. It seems to be universal that you start out on 6 or 12 month contracts and eventually get an ongoing post. At the end of the year, schools have to fill leadership positions first. Then they have to advertise ongoing posts which they give to their favourite existing teachers who are on contracts - but to please the authorities they have to be advertised externally as though they are genuine vacancies. Once all this has settled, schools will fill their contract posts - and it's only about now that genuine job vacancies are starting to come on line. Also, some schools will reject you after an interview for an advertised job and then hire you for a subsequent post.

Please don't panic yet. It is a tough market but if you are mature age and have classroom experience then you should be reasonably employable. Also, if you get CRT, this can often lead to a school taking you on if it goes well.

There is a sort of catch 22. There are plenty of teachers where people actually want to live so competition is fierce and then, logic would suggest that the more experienced the better but, in fact, with self managing schools aiming to get the most bang for their buck, the experienced ones cost more than newer recruits! So they will generally go for the cheaper option unfortunately

There is a sort of catch 22. There are plenty of teachers where people actually want to live so competition is fierce and then, logic would suggest that the more experienced the better but, in fact, with self managing schools aiming to get the most bang for their buck, the experienced ones cost more than newer recruits! So they will generally go for the cheaper option unfortunately

Yes, but as a new teacher to the area you'd come in at the bottom of the scale. Same pay but a choice of an experienced teacher or a 23 year old graduate with no classroom experience.

Yes, but as a new teacher to the area you'd come in at the bottom of the scale. Same pay but a choice of an experienced teacher or a 23 year old graduate with no classroom experience.

No, most states accept years of experience gained internationally to push people up the pay scale so, with evidence of practice, I would expect someone with 10 - 15 years to be at the top of any state's pay scale. Casual relief is often a base rate but once you get into contract and permanent options the tiered pay comes into effect

Also a lot of the positions are maternity leave and teachers will return so short contracts.

Also teachers retire at say 55 then they come back into the work force as teachers on contract so they are also around.

If you look in the country areas or the western suburbs of Melbourne you may have more luck, also private schools.

Science and maths seem to be the ones in short supply, humanities is well catered for as most seem to head that way.

Quoll - you are right. At my last interview they said that I would be at the top end of the pay scale with my uk experience. So, some schools will go for the cheaper option, even though I have a proven track record of 15 years etc etc. Thinking of touting myself out to the highest bidder. Will teach for food etc etc...

I'm moving back to Melbourne where I trained as a Psych, SoSE and RE teacher after 9 years teaching in the UK. I don't actually want to work full time so will look for CRT work as a preference. I was with Anderson for CRT work when last in Melbourne and I had as much work as I wanted/needed, but it was all in primary schools, most of them Catholic.

I have contacts at a couple of the private schools in the North and West so will be hitting them with my CV once I've got my VIT membership sorted.

Might also be worth looking at the VET sector. I taught VCE Psych at RMIT for a year before finding an ongoing job in a school.

I'm moving back to Melbourne where I trained as a Psych, SoSE and RE teacher after 9 years teaching in the UK. I don't actually want to work full time so will look for CRT work as a preference. I was with Anderson for CRT work when last in Melbourne and I had as much work as I wanted/needed, but it was all in primary schools, most of them Catholic.

I have contacts at a couple of the private schools in the North and West so will be hitting them with my CV once I've got my VIT membership sorted.

Might also be worth looking at the VET sector. I taught VCE Psych at RMIT for a year before finding an ongoing job in a school.

If you can focus on your psych, you might get a look in as a school psych. You'd need to be registered to practice though. Kennett decimated the school psych service but I think the need has been creeping back. Just a thought.

I only have an undergraduate degree so can't register as a psych, but it's definitely something I had thought about for the future as I wouldn't have to pay to do a masters/PhD. Last I looked you had to have a minimum of a masters and 2 years clinical experience to be registered as a psych.

I will actually have a job as I teach online part time which will obviously come with me. If the company can give me more classes I'll be able to live on that, if not, CRT will be it. When I do look for full time work in a couple of years I'll be focussing on IB schools as that's where the bulk of my experience is.

I only have an undergraduate degree so can't register as a psych, but it's definitely something I had thought about for the future as I wouldn't have to pay to do a masters/PhD. Last I looked you had to have a minimum of a masters and 2 years clinical experience to be registered as a psych.

I will actually have a job as I teach online part time which will obviously come with me. If the company can give me more classes I'll be able to live on that, if not, CRT will be it. When I do look for full time work in a couple of years I'll be focussing on IB schools as that's where the bulk of my experience is.

i think it is still 4 year honours (and you would probably get away with a UK honours in psych) then registration as a provisional psych with 2 years supervised practice to full registration. They were talking about the 5 yr qualification but don't know if that got enacted or not (out of the loop for a while). Info on the AHPRA site. It's an arduous route to registration though!

My girlfriend is a science teacher and moving to Melbourne with me as I am an Aussie. Really hope she can find proper work. She likes her current secure permanent teaching job here in the UK. I can see it causing issues in our relationship if she finds it impossible to find work away from family and friends etc.

My girlfriend is a science teacher and moving to Melbourne with me as I am an Aussie. Really hope she can find proper work. She likes her current secure permanent teaching job here in the UK. I can see it causing issues in our relationship if she finds it impossible to find work away from family and friends etc.

Permanent jobs have to be earned these days and are highly sought after. Also if she teaches maths its handy as they get the science teachers to teach maths in the lower grades at some high schools.

Unfortunately if a teacher has a permanent position they usually hang on to it until they leave the profession or retire these days.

My son went to a remote location after he finished his post grad and did three years in the Mallee but it gave him a permanent job and a bonus for doing it.

Thank you for your responses! I have applied for both state and private schools, and I am with 3 agencies - the trouble is that I'm an English teacher and, as in the UK, we are ten a penny, and as you have mentioned, I'm expensive! My husband works in the CBD so remoter areas are not on the cards I'm afraid, I just can't get.

I shall carry on regardless - just a bit demoralizing after the career I had in UK - just need to keep an eye on the bigger picture of why we moved out here!!

Thanks again all!

You may have more success in a TAFE or international college. Teaching English must be in demand judging by all the international students I see around.

See if she can take a career break in the first instance rather than totally chucking in a job she loves .... just in case!

Archived