Can't get a teaching job!!!!

Tibby

i think it is still 4 year honours (and you would probably get away with a UK honours in psych) then registration as a provisional psych with 2 years supervised practice to full registration. They were talking about the 5 yr qualification but don't know if that got enacted or not (out of the loop for a while). Info on the AHPRA site. It's an arduous route to registration though!

I did my degree at Melbourne Uni, so I don't have an honours degree, I only did the BA (Psych). My mum was dying at the time and I had had enough of full time education, so didn't continue to an honours or grad dip year. When I did my Dip Ed they were talking 5 years and 2 clin practice for registration in Victoria, but that was nearly 15 years ago and it could have changed again.

I'm applying for work next year and i am VIT registered.where are these jobs being advertised? .i'm an experienced chemistry teacher. Just had packers in today stuff going tomorrow. Mentally I'm a pile of sludge.

Mng 75 what does VET Stand for?

I did my degree at Melbourne Uni, so I don't have an honours degree, I only did the BA (Psych). My mum was dying at the time and I had had enough of full time education, so didn't continue to an honours or grad dip year. When I did my Dip Ed they were talking 5 years and 2 clin practice for registration in Victoria, but that was nearly 15 years ago and it could have changed again.

It's national registration now - moot point though unfortunately as you don't have honours or a grad dip.

I'm applying for work next year and i am VIT registered.where are these jobs being advertised? .i'm an experienced chemistry teacher. Just had packers in today stuff going tomorrow. Mentally I'm a pile of sludge.

Mng 75 what does VET Stand for?

Vocational Education and Training (they changed TaFE to VET in the 90s, but may have changed it back again).

Quoll, interesting that it's no longer state based. Still something to keep in mind, I'm interested in further study anyway and should be able to get onto a masters in Ed Psych unless they've radically changed the entry requirements, but I'll check with my contacts at Melbourne Uni. I could do a grad dip with my online teaching no problem if I had to.

Lots of good advice here. Do NOT rely on the agencies. Send your CV to all the schools you'd consider teaching (both state and private). I drew a circle round where I lived as I wasn't prepared to travel too far for work. I was lucky and got a short term contact when someone left unexpectedly, and was ongoing within a year. Meanwhile my CV work brought in four offers of work within a fortnight.

Teachers can resign with a fortnight's notice, so work pops up all the time.

I am, ahem, mature and cost a fortune and not in a shortage subject.

OP, if this forum allows private messaging, feel free to contact me. I don't want to say some things publicly as it might out me in the tiny world of Melbourne education.

Archived