Out of these areas which would you choose?

Johnny7334

Hi everyone,

I have been a long time viewer of Poms in Oz, but this is my first post in ages.

We have been in Perth for about 2 years but have known for at least 3 months now that it is not our forever home. We are permanent residents and would like to stay for citizenship. After that we will probably return to the uk.

We are from the North of England originally, but have decided that when we go back we would like to settle back in a commuter town/city with links to London. Due to various factors, such as house prices, proximity to family , work opportunities etc. we have narrowed down our future uk location to these 4 locations:

Milton Keynes

Chelmsford, Essex

Maidstone, Kent

Ashford, Kent

For those of you that know these areas, which location would you choose?

We are going on a reccie trip next year to see with our own eyes what we think, but I would be grateful for any opinions.

Please don't suggest other locations such as Guildford, St Albans etc., if I could get the house I wanted in these areas I would have suggested them ! :animal-frog:

Thanks for your help

Hi everyone,

I have been a long time viewer of Poms in Oz, but this is my first post.

We have been in Perth for about 2 years but have known for at least 3 months now that it is not our forever home. We are permanent residents and would like to stay for citizenship. After that we will probably return to the uk.

We are from the North of England originally, but have decided that when we go back we would like to settle back in a commuter town/city with links to London. Due to various factors, such as house prices, proximity to family , work opportunities etc. we have narrowed down our future uk location to these 4 locations:

Milton Keynes

Chelmsford, Essex

Maidstone, Kent

Ashford, Kent

We are going on a reccie trip next year to see with our own eyes what we think, but I would be grateful for any opinions.

Please don't suggest other locations such as Guildford, St Albans etc., if I could get the house I wanted in these areas I would have suggested them ! :animal-frog:

Thanks for your help

I used to live in Chelmsford! It's quite a nice town, not far from anything, homes are reasonably priced etc.

Any other questions, please ask :)

Hard to say as it's very personal. I don't know Maidstone very well out of those so can't comment on that

I don't like Ashford. It's a bit small town and grubby IMO. Chelmsford is worth a look, it's quite big, traffic can be a PITA but the trains into London are excellent IF you work in the City (or are likely to) as it's a straight shot into Liverpool St. There are lots of lovely villages around the town itself which are probably "nicer" places to live but then you've got to add getting to the station and parking to the commuting equation (although some of them also have direct trains). Essex countryside is much underrated

My first choice out of those places would be (honestly) Milton Keynes. People laugh at it but some of the nicer bits are like a network of villages all connected up with loads of green space, cycle paths etc. It's the only city in the UK that was built for cars and it shows - traffic jams are very rare. Loads of shopping, countryside around is nice again, and the transport links are excellent - tons of trains into Euston, only about 35 mins travel time I think which is very fast given the distance.

Milton Keynes,,,,the surrounding villages are beautiful.

It does have a lot of roundabouts in central MK, but its so easy to get around, great shopping centre, and very central for road and train links

If you want any info about areas around there, PM, me I know it well

Its where we are heading 'HOME" to

Milton Keynes,,,,the surrounding villages are beautiful.

It does have a lot of roundabouts in central MK, but its so easy to get around, great shopping centre, and very central for road and train links

If you want any info about areas around there, PM, me I know it well

Its where we are heading 'HOME" to

Thanks Sapphire. I have sent you a Pm.

I used to live in Chelmsford! It's quite a nice town, not far from anything, homes are reasonably priced etc.

Any other questions, please ask :)

Thanks Beepbeep. Any suggestions about parts of Chelmsford that are best? Our main priorities are nice size house, good schools and proximity to the train station.

Hard to say as it's very personal. I don't know Maidstone very well out of those so can't comment on that

I don't like Ashford. It's a bit small town and grubby IMO. Chelmsford is worth a look, it's quite big, traffic can be a PITA but the trains into London are excellent IF you work in the City (or are likely to) as it's a straight shot into Liverpool St. There are lots of lovely villages around the town itself which are probably "nicer" places to live but then you've got to add getting to the station and parking to the commuting equation (although some of them also have direct trains). Essex countryside is much underrated

My first choice out of those places would be (honestly) Milton Keynes. People laugh at it but some of the nicer bits are like a network of villages all connected up with loads of green space, cycle paths etc. It's the only city in the UK that was built for cars and it shows - traffic jams are very rare. Loads of shopping, countryside around is nice again, and the transport links are excellent - tons of trains into Euston, only about 35 mins travel time I think which is very fast given the distance.

Yes I have been to Milton Keynes many times and its is lovely, every thing Northshorepom has said are very true - my family lived in Loughton a lovely village good schools, very easy reach to trains, lakes, lovely walks and huge shopping center and other thing on hand a well.

Hi everyone,

I have been a long time viewer of Poms in Oz, but this is my first post in ages.

Milton Keynes

Chelmsford, Essex

Maidstone, Kent

Ashford, Kent

Thanks for your help

We used to live in Flitwick. Close to the M1, good train service to London. Close to Milton Keynes for good shopping and the house prices were always reasonable.

Mmmmm. Interesting, Chelmsford and Milton Keynes seem to be coming out on top. These were my two front runners due to both being North of London and therefore easier to get to family up in the North. Might not bother visiting the other 2 and spend a bit more time in MK and Chelmsford. Unless someone can convince me otherwise...... :)

Thanks for the responses.

On balance I would go for MK but, having lived in Canberra, roundabouts dont faze me in the least LOL. There are nice villages within cooee of both MK and Chelmsford (and probably the ones in Kent as well!) and I would be looking at villages rather than central town but, at the end of the day, where are you going to get a job?

On balance I would go for MK but, having lived in Canberra, roundabouts dont faze me in the least LOL. There are nice villages within cooee of both MK and Chelmsford (and probably the ones in Kent as well!) and I would be looking at villages rather than central town but, at the end of the day, where are you going to get a job?

Not fully sure what you are getting at...

I work in construction, and from say MK I could work in MK, London, Cambridge or even at a push Birmingham. I know the Uk hasn't got lots of jobs about, but that's a pretty big search radius. I may of course have misinterpreted your response completely...

Not fully sure what you are getting at...

I work in construction, and from say MK I could work in MK, London, Cambridge or even at a push Birmingham. I know the Uk hasn't got lots of jobs about, but that's a pretty big search radius. I may of course have misinterpreted your response completely...

I think what she meant was you will find it easier to find work the closer you are to the big places but if your using a car instead of public transport then it doesnt make too much of a difference

I think what she meant was you will find it easier to find work the closer you are to the big places but if your using a car instead of public transport then it doesnt make too much of a difference

Thanks Stacey. I thought that I might have got the wrong end of the stick.

The. area I will Be retuning to is near my home town of Sevenoaks in Kent, but the area I have chosen to return to is Mayfield in Sussex a beautiful part of England a house in the country with a couple of acres in the beautiful English country side which I find breathtaking beautiful ,only 40 miles to the channel tunnel can't wait just hope all my dreams come true .

The. area I will Be retuning to is near my home town of Sevenoaks in Kent, but the area I have chosen to return to is Mayfield in Sussex a beautiful part of England a house in the country with a couple of acres in the beautiful English country side which I find breathtaking beautiful ,only 40 miles to the channel tunnel can't wait just hope all my dreams come true .

Sounds lovely. Unfortunately out of my price range I think. I just did a property search on rightmove and found no results for anything under 250,000 pounds in Mayfield. Sevenoaks is similar, very pricey. Never mind :(

Incidently does anyone else planning a return to the UK find themselves spending far too much time on the moving back to the uk forum and uk property sites? I am officially obsessed! :chatterbox:

Archived