Girlfriend is pregnant and in Australia, I'm stuck in England. Need a solution ASAP!

Guest Curtis92

Guest Curtis92

New to the forums.

Just some quick info.

I went to Australia September 24th 2011. I used a working holiday visa as I went to play cricket but I needed to fund my stay.

I met my girlfriend at the start of December and we began dating on the 13th of that month.

We had as what you could call a " whirlwind romance" everything moved so fast it was unreal. We moved in together around the start of February. I lived with her and her parents until May 6th. (That being the date we left Australia )

As we had developed this strong relationship she'd decided she wanted to come back to the UK with me. She lived with me and my parents from May 7th to September 17th.

Currently we're going through a very emotional time as whilst here in the UK she fell pregnant and we're due our baby on April 4th. The time apart is killing us and the fact I don't know how I'm going to get there to live and work, especially before the birth is even harder.

1) We don't have any joint accounts or any of the other financial aspects.

2) I didn't work in regional Australia for 3 months.

3) We don't want to get married for the sake of a visa, I've seen it suggested but it's just not something you should ever rush.

4) I'm working here in the UK so financially things will be okay.

I just want to know what my best option would be. My girlfriend can't come back to England, she's 19/20 weeks pregnant and needs to be with her family. This is the worst thing I've currently gone through, it hurts a lot more than it should. I just need something.

Any suggestion or solution accepted.

Apologise if this is in the wrong section, new to all this. Hope you can help me.

Curtis.

3) We don't want to get married for the sake of a visa, I've seen it suggested but it's just not something you should ever rush.

Neither should having a baby!!! Well i suggest you consult an agent a baby on the way should surely be proof enough of your relationship. I would try go matilda most offer free initial consult.

Good luck i hope you get there speedy...

Guest Curtis92

I know. The baby wasn't planned, was a big shock. I'm still excited to be a dad.

Thanks a lot for the response though! I just read something about pregnancy not counting that's all.

Kimsdu

The chap was asking for advise, not for you to pass judgment on his situation! And for your information - a baby is not proof of a relationship. My partner and I have 3 children, we have never felt the need to marry, and despite the fact that they all have is name on the birth certificates, we have had to prove our relationship.

To Curtis - I hope you are able to resolve your issues swiftly.

I'm guessing the visa you may be thinking of is the Partner Visa or spouse visa as it was called when I got mine. I'm not sure what the criteria is now for this visa but certainly when I applied for mine I didn't have any financial statements to show. I was advised by immigration in writing that there was "no set documentation requirements and it was down to me as to how I chose to demonstrate the authenticity of my relationship". I was on a WHV at the time so had very little documentation in my backpack(!) but managed to pull together a very methodical application enclosing photocopies of everything I could think of from our travels, greetings cards, joint plane tickets and insurance, accomodation receipts, passport stamps proving we had been travelling together, statements of family and friends, statements of ourselves, literally whatever I could think of. I didn't use an agent and my application sailed through without any questions within 9 weeks, so it can be done without the usual bank statements etc if you fulfil the criteria of the partner visa or can apply for it under special circumstances. Best of luck.

Edited by millymarie

You should speak to a registered Migration Agent,

There are a few waivers that you may be able to use to be able to apply for a Partner visa. http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm

If there is a child within the relationship, or you have registered your relationship on the relationship register (which you can do from some states if you are living in Australia).

You could go back to Australia on a Tourist visa and apply once baby is born, but you will have no work rights. ( Partner Visas can take up to 12 months to be granted)

Or you could apply for the Prospective marriage visa, which takes about 5-7months to be granted, this must be applied offshore, but could travel to Australia on tourist visa while it is being processed. Once granted you have 9 months to get married and apply for the partner visa, with your limited evidence this would be the only partner visa you would currently be eligible for.

Going over on a tourist visa may be your best option and working out how to apply for partner visa, but as your WHV has not long expired you may not be granted a tourist visa. You can apply for 6 and 12 months tourist visas as well as the 3 month e-visitor visa.

Or would you be able to get a company to sponsor you? or a student visa.

Edited by lebourvellec

New to the forums.

Just some quick info.

I went to Australia September 24th 2011. I used a working holiday visa as I went to play cricket but I needed to fund my stay.

I met my girlfriend at the start of December and we began dating on the 13th of that month.

We had as what you could call a " whirlwind romance" everything moved so fast it was unreal. We moved in together around the start of February. I lived with her and her parents until May 6th. (That being the date we left Australia )

As we had developed this strong relationship she'd decided she wanted to come back to the UK with me. She lived with me and my parents from May 7th to September 17th.

Currently we're going through a very emotional time as whilst here in the UK she fell pregnant and we're due our baby on April 4th. The time apart is killing us and the fact I don't know how I'm going to get there to live and work, especially before the birth is even harder.

I just want to know what my best option would be. My girlfriend can't come back to England, she's 19/20 weeks pregnant and needs to be with her family. This is the worst thing I've currently gone through, it hurts a lot more than it should. I just need something.

Any suggestion or solution accepted.

Apologise if this is in the wrong section, new to all this. Hope you can help me.

Curtis.

The minister is about to impose grotesque increases in the visa application charges for partner visas. May I suggest you consult a registered migration agent to get on track ASAP? If you want me to have a look at your case feel free to pm me

Edited by noworriesmate
forum rules

Kimsdu

The chap was asking for advise, not for you to pass judgment on his situation! And for your information - a baby is not proof of a relationship. My partner and I have 3 children, we have never felt the need to marry, and despite the fact that they all have is name on the birth certificates, we have had to prove our relationship.

To Curtis - I hope you are able to resolve your issues swiftly.

ah don't be too harsh- Kimsdu was only saying what loads of people think sometimes when people are "shocked" by a pregnancy- contraception is so fool-proof these days isn't it ? but only if you don't want to get pregnant :wink: I think the OP is realistic enough to know this !! Still it's an exciting time, but I also agree there doesn't seem to be much choice but to marry in this case....she needs your full support now the deed is done !

At least you know you're not firing blanks - could be worse - well done.

Do the honourable thing and marry the girl and also for the sake of the baby.

If you get run over by a bus tomorrow at least the mother of your child and the baby are looked after.

Now and then you read horror stories of unmarried couples where the dad or mum and baby are left helpless because one of the parents dies. In fact if one of you end up in hospital the doctors can refuse you visitor's rights becuase you're not married.

Edited by lebourvellec
forum rules

Hi Statutory declarations played a major part in our proof of a relationship but i do think you will struggle without any bills. You need to speak to a registered migration agent. Try OE Visas Richard Greegan if you dont get any joy there try George Lombard hes in Sydney but he is supposed to be amazing!!! Hope you get it sorted x

Guest Curtis92

Thank you very much for all your input lebourvellec! Has really been helpful!

I've taken a completely different route though.

I've applied for a 12 month tourist visa (676) on the grounds that I want to be there for the birth of my child. which I stated on the application when asked about "what's my intention on visiting australia"

We both intend to leave Australia when the baby is about 3/4 months old to come back to the UK so we can apply for the De facto visa offshore. Which if the visa is granted promptly would leave 3 months on the 676 visa.

If you could shed some light on whether or not I need to send any supporting evidence or documentation. The letter of invitation or something like that from my partner.

The application was lodged just stating I want to be there for the birth and I have no intention to work. I work here and have sufficient funds. Hoping I only need to provide a bank statement is asked to do so by DIAC. As I haven't sent anything with the online application.

Thanks again for all your help. Very valuable member of the forum.

When I first came to Australia I came out on a tourist visa and then applied onshore for a De facto visa ( that was few years ago though ) and my Aussie partner and I had been together for three years which we could prove,

Why have you decided to apply for the De facto offshore in the UK once the baby is 3/4 months old ? Why not onshore ?

I am concerned though that you may have problems with the year long tourist visa application - do you really have proof to show them that you have sufficient funds for a whole year ?

I obviously have no immigration expertise in this area and I know many do on here and they can help. I am concerned for your girlfriend and baby though if this all goes wrong as you did not seek professional help.

Guest Curtis92

Well there reason of coming back to the UK is so my family can meet my child as well. MY girlfriend is an British citizen as well as an Australian so life is a lot simpler for her travelling wise. The plan is to come back to the UK and apply so we have had time to build up more evidence to support the visa, also apparently pregnancy doesn't count as compelling and compassionate so wouldn't waive anything time wise on the visa.

If they request proof of funds I can send them a bank statement showing £4000+ as well as payslips. I'm currently employed. Also I'd be living with her and her parents which if need be they could easily send a letter of invitation stating they are willing to support my stay ect

When I first came to Australia I came out on a tourist visa and then applied onshore for a De facto visa ( that was few years ago though ) and my Aussie partner and I had been together for three years which we could prove,

Why have you decided to apply for the De facto offshore in the UK once the baby is 3/4 months old ? Why not onshore ?

I am concerned though that you may have problems with the year long tourist visa application - do you really have proof to show them that you have sufficient funds for a whole year ?

I obviously have no immigration expertise in this area and I know many do on here and they can help. I am concerned for your girlfriend and baby though if this all goes wrong as you did not seek professional help.

The 12 month tourist visa will come with a No-further stay condition on the visa therefore he will not be able to lodge a Partner visa onshore.

Lodging back in the UK would likely be the best thing as processing times are less, and cheaper. (onshore partner processing is about 13 months currently)

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

Booklet 1 has all the partner visa information pg 39-41.

Once you get back to Australia - start sorting out Joint bank accounts, joint purchases, make life easier when you come to lodge your application.

• 6 years later...

Hello, My son ( british citizen)is on a working holiday visa and his Australian girlfriend is pregnant. Unfortunately they have separated but remain friends and intend to co-parent. What visa should he apply for to remain as a parent of an Australian child? And can he do it there? Baby is due in 5 months and his current visa runs out 2 weeks after the birth date. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

He may not be able to do so and should resign himself to that. If he has a skill that  is on the list of needed occupations he might be able to apply for a permanent resident visa but otherwise his chances of playing a part in his child's life are slim unless the relationship gets seriously back on track. He should talk to a registered agent to see if he had any options but just being the parent of an Australian isn't going to cut it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Snug said:

Hello, My son ( british citizen)is on a working holiday visa and his Australian girlfriend is pregnant. Unfortunately they have separated but remain friends and intend to co-parent. What visa should he apply for to remain as a parent of an Australian child? And can he do it there? Baby is due in 5 months and his current visa runs out 2 weeks after the birth date. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

I don’t think there’s any visa that he can get just because he’s got someone pregnant.  Just imagine how much the Oz population would grow if thats all you had to do to get a visa. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1