Unemployment data

VERYSTORMY

Actually it does. I've been unemployed in both places, out of work for 5 months when we first emigrated in 92 and made redundant in the UK so out of work for about a month there. Here I got a bike, put the 2 year old on the back and explored just about all the bike paths in and around the river and City.

In England it was the middle of summer, didn't stop raining and I went and enroled on a course to keep me from going nuts.

Maybe for some people, for my OH he couldn't care less if it's raining or sunny, he's still spending all day trawling the internet and meeting agents.

The only real thing he can do is a walk around the park as that's free (doesn't have a bike and now no money to buy one!) and that gets boring after a while apparently!

I've suggested going for a swim, playing golf doing ..... something.... I just get told off because he doesn't have anyone to do any of those things with as everyone else is working, he doesn't have any golf clubs and again comes back to the no money answer.

But then he is busy holding a pitty party for one at the moment :sad:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

I get so tired of the 'oh but the weather is better so everything is fine'. I couldnt care less what the weather was like to be honest, I wouldnt base my whole life around what the weather is like, some do I know and that's fine but for a huge number it really isnt important especially if you are unemployed.

Maybe for some people, for my OH he couldn't care less if it's raining or sunny, he's still spending all day trawling the internet and meeting agents.

The only real thing he can do is a walk around the park as that's free (doesn't have a bike and now no money to buy one!) and that gets boring after a while apparently!

I've suggested going for a swim, playing golf doing ..... something.... I just get told off because he doesn't have anyone to do any of those things with as everyone else is working, he doesn't have any golf clubs and again comes back to the no money answer.

Sorry to hear that, best of luck to your OH :biggrin:

I agree 100%. Unemployment is not any easier just because the sun is shining out there. You might have this impression the 1st week after loosing your job or when somebody else is made redundant. After then it is just a daily struggle to keep positive and find you next job, and you stop take notice of the bl@@dy weather.

I bought a second hand bike for $20 from a garage sale, went swimming in the sea and used to really enjoy the bike rides with my 2 year old on the back. He's 23 now and says he still remembers going for miles round the bike paths finding different parks for picnics. Golf is expensive though.

I used to stay in at first, waiting for the phone call, it was driving me crazy, I was applying for anything and everything being a new arrival. I just wanted a job. Best thing we bought was an answer machine as I realised I needed to get out and get the whole job thing off my mind for a while. I imagine today it would be hours trawling the internet rather than waiting for a phone call but the upshot is frustration, a feeling of worthlessness and not having done anything the whole day.

After getting the bike and getting out I had a routine where I would spend a couple of hours early, looking through the papers and applying for jobs (if any), making phone calls to chase a couple up and then saying that's it and go out somewhere and totally forget the job hunting (or try to). There is only so much you can do and spending another 6 hours fretting wouldn't have made one bit of difference.

I don't care what the facts are, Juliar has said the boom times are ahead of us and anyway house prices have turned the corner and are making the biggest gains ever, so you don't need to work, and she isn't going to let the facts talk down the economy.

Being unemployed is very stressful - you can never relax, and being skint activities are limited. I got cheap membership of a gym (bargained hard) and it has been a lifesaver - Don't feel that I'm wasting my time off and there's always something to do

As for being lonesome, he should come to Queensland - plenty of unemployed mates for him here - work situation is dire, with little prospect of improvement before Feb (that's for IT my profession anyhow). I'm even considering popping back to the UK to try to get work!

with little prospect of improvement before Feb (that's for IT my profession anyhow). I'm even considering popping back to the UK to try to get work!
Just curious, why do you think it will improve in Feb? (I'm IT QLD but thankfully in work)

Being unemployed is very stressful - you can never relax, and being skint activities are limited. I got cheap membership of a gym (bargained hard) and it has been a lifesaver - Don't feel that I'm wasting my time off and there's always something to do

As for being lonesome, he should come to Queensland - plenty of unemployed mates for him here - work situation is dire, with little prospect of improvement before Feb (that's for IT my profession anyhow). I'm even considering popping back to the UK to try to get work!

I've heard Queensland is getting hard hit.

I've fed some advice back to him, told him to do a search in the morning for jobs, send off any applications and then turn the computer off and do something else. Yesterday he headed out to Osborne Park to research home brewing kits....

But he seems perkier, so at least I'm not going home to a grump anymore! :biggrin:

Guest chris955
I don't care what the facts are, Juliar has said the boom times are ahead of us and anyway house prices have turned the corner and are making the biggest gains ever, so you don't need to work, and she isn't going to let the facts talk down the economy.

You gotta love her :)

Guest chris955
Just curious, why do you think it will improve in Feb? (I'm IT QLD but thankfully in work)

The poster said little prospect of improvement before Feb, I dont think that mean it will improve in Feb.

Hmmm - is there an election coming up anytime soon?

When I was made redundant in the UK it snowed. So I took my boys sledging. Three days of absolute bliss. It is really horrible losing your job. Nothing except illness equates to that level of stress. The feeling of being unworthy can be soul destroying. You have to fight it and fight it agressively.

I bought a second hand bike for $20 from a garage sale, went swimming in the sea and used to really enjoy the bike rides with my 2 year old on the back. He's 23 now and says he still remembers going for miles round the bike paths finding different parks for picnics. Golf is expensive though.

I used to stay in at first, waiting for the phone call, it was driving me crazy, I was applying for anything and everything being a new arrival. I just wanted a job. Best thing we bought was an answer machine as I realised I needed to get out and get the whole job thing off my mind for a while. I imagine today it would be hours trawling the internet rather than waiting for a phone call but the upshot is frustration, a feeling of worthlessness and not having done anything the whole day.

After getting the bike and getting out I had a routine where I would spend a couple of hours early, looking through the papers and applying for jobs (if any), making phone calls to chase a couple up and then saying that's it and go out somewhere and totally forget the job hunting (or try to). There is only so much you can do and spending another 6 hours fretting wouldn't have made one bit of difference.

The poster said little prospect of improvement before Feb, I dont think that mean it will improve in Feb.

Yeah, I think Feb is the earliest it can improve - I don't have a crystal ball - Just know that nothing happens in QLD over Xmas and hoping that Campbell Newman's indiscriminate slashing will result in a few contracting/consultancy roles once the air is cleared and the more essential projects get going again. I have friends who are in IT recruitment who believe it will stay quiet until at least then but it's a pretty scary time for even highly skilled IT practitioners...

Guest chris955
Yeah, I think Feb is the earliest it can improve - I don't have a crystal ball - Just know that nothing happens in QLD over Xmas and hoping that Campbell Newman's indiscriminate slashing will result in a few contracting/consultancy roles once the air is cleared and the more essential projects get going again. I have friends who are in IT recruitment who believe it will stay quiet until at least then but it's a pretty scary time for even highly skilled IT practitioners...

It isnt looking good thats for sure, Newmans slash and burn policy is going to have a far reaching knock on affect.

Archived