Unemployment data

VERYSTORMY

Guys it can't be that bad!

It is dire here in the UK, if your in construction then be prepared to have to work in London to earn money as the stuff that's available elsewhere the rates are so low it's hardly worth doing, you guys managed to make it over there, enjoy the climate , I know where I would rather be guys

It can't be that bad!!!! Tell that to the 14,000 Queensland public servants who are facing job cuts.........yeh forget your job and get out there and "enjoy the climate"....I've heard it all now!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It can't be that bad!!!! Tell that to the 14,000 Queensland public servants who are facing job cuts.........yeh forget your job and get out there and "enjoy the climate"....I've heard it all now!

If they can afford to get rid of that many, are they all needed in the first place?

Exactly. Like the uk with all those essential paper shuffling Facebook clicking council workers, whingeing about those on the dole.

I know what you mean. Am sure the last company I worked for had managers to have meetings to decide when the next meetings would be!

Its not as bad as it was in the 1990s though- we can still see buildings going up everywhere and new houses. A real sign of hardship is when all that stops and you see half built houses and factories where the builders have gone bust. Mind you last time I went to Ballarat it seemed a bit that way ( 6 months ago) I think maybe the regional centres are doing it tough?

The issue with gold miners is really no different to any other. It's not so much about metal price but the cost of mining has gone up so much. It's been brewing for a while and several factors have now come together to make it just seem too hard. For example, my mine has been slugged with $43 million carbon tax which we have no way of offsetting. At the same time as a increase in gas price of 49% this year for our gas fired power station and high oz dollar. Add this to a increased sovereign risk profile of oz and a realization in the industry of better opportunity in other countries and it is not a pretty picture.

Guest chris955
But we did, as hard as it is to believe.

Australia certainly avoided the worst of it but you cant possibly believe they avoided it all ? It seems as though it was delayed by a few years that's all.

Guest chris955

But the sunshine makes everything good.....doesnt it ?

Guest chris955
Makes things a lot better when you don't have to worry about freezing as well as being hungry. You ever experienced that?

Yes I have been cold and hungry, I went home and got something to eat.

Guest Guest76386
But the sunshine makes everything good.....doesnt it ?

Well its definately one of the bonuses. That as well as being one of the strongest economies in the world, one of the best medical systems in the world, up there with the best for eductaion and tourism is great.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/australia/revealed-the-worlds-happiest-places-to-live/story-e6frfq89-1226184172691

Guest The Pom Queen
Makes things a lot better when you don't have to worry about freezing as well as being hungry. You ever experienced that?

Yes in Melbourne

Guest chris955
Ok Lord Charles. Come back when you've experienced a real recession and poverty and tell me Oz is going through it. I got news for you, it ain't.

Where has anyone said that ? All that has been said is that there is way more unemployment than the official figures show and many people are experiencing real hardship. Why are you being so precious ?

This can be explained by a lot of what is written in the article posted by the OP. The Australian jobs market is becoming very narrow with the specifications for candidates becoming tougher and tougher. Those that lose senior positions are finding it hard to get back on the career ladder / even find a job because they don't fit the exceedingly strict criteria and are seen as 'overqualified' for other roles.

THIS is exactly what concerns me most, much more than all those flaming statistics

Recruitment agencies and employers set very strict criteria for jobs when they have far more applications they can handle in a reasonable time. I saw this happening twice in my life, once in Italy and it was a slow process and the second time in UK almost overnight.

Every country is different and I have no employment experience of OZ.

Still... what if they prefer locals over migrants?

Younger over experienced?

Mickey Mouse qualifications over solid experience in the iindustry?

Higher education over lower education?

I have seen incredibly stupid adverts and received very idiotic feedback for jobs that a trained monkey could do better then me...

Uh?!? :elvis:

I am turning into a DOOM MONGER!:arghh: :happy_face_vampire_

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!

Tooo late.....

THIS is exactly what concerns me most, much more than all those flaming statistics

Recruitment agencies and employers set very strict criteria for jobs when they have far more applications they can handle in a reasonable time. I saw this happening twice in my life, once in Italy and it was a slow process and the second time in UK almost overnight.

I have seen incredibly stupid adverts and received very idiotic feedback for jobs that a trained monkey could do better then me...

Uh?!? :elvis:

I am turning into a DOOM MONGER!:arghh: :happy_face_vampire_

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!

Tooo late.....

Cheers mate,

you got exactly what I was trying to say. I only put the "flaming statistics" in because I've been saying this very thing ever since I joined PiO 5/6 months ago and the replies have always been "unemployment is only 5.2% in Aus and 3.6 in WA, what are you on about?".

A lot of people - the majority? - will be coming here without jobs and it's fair they come forewarned about the job descriptions they'll be coming up against and the terrible attitude of most recruitment agencies here. Like you said most of the feedback is laughable or , more common, non-existant.

This is not, I repeat not, about running down the Australian economy or claiming it is some poverty stricken hellhole. It's not true and why try and peddle an untruth? It is to give migrants a realistic view of the job market which is that job specs are getting narrower and narrower and requesting more and more qualifications - Australia is very much into regulating inputs (licences, tickets) rather than outputs - and can catch some migrants by surprise.

Guest JK2510
Cheers mate,

you got exactly what I was trying to say. I only put the "flaming statistics" in because I've been saying this very thing ever since I joined PiO 5/6 months ago and the replies have always been "unemployment is only 5.2% in Aus and 3.6 in WA, what are you on about?".

A lot of people - the majority? - will be coming here without jobs and it's fair they come forewarned about the job descriptions they'll be coming up against and the terrible attitude of most recruitment agencies here. Like you said most of the feedback is laughable or , more common, non-existant.

This is not, I repeat not, about running down the Australian economy or claiming it is some poverty stricken hellhole. It's not true and why try and peddle an untruth? It is to give migrants a realistic view of the job market which is that job specs are getting narrower and narrower and requesting more and more qualifications - Australia is very much into regulating inputs (licences, tickets) rather than outputs - and can catch some migrants by surprise.

Yes it does seem you need a certificate or ticket for a lot of jobs....I was told the day we arrived that oz loves tickets in regards to the job market/qualifications.

Ok Lord Charles. Come back when you've experienced a real recession and poverty and tell me Oz is going through it. I got news for you, it ain't.

I suppose the Greeks and Spanish could throw the same line back to the Brits? I also see Polish immigration is up 45,000 entering UK. Even though the Polish economy isn't doing too bad. British wages are higher.

That's not really the point of the thread.

If you're unemployed and affected by the slow down in jobs it really doesn't matter if the sun is shining.

Actually it does. I've been unemployed in both places, out of work for 5 months when we first emigrated in 92 and made redundant in the UK so out of work for about a month there. Here I got a bike, put the 2 year old on the back and explored just about all the bike paths in and around the river and City.

In England it was the middle of summer, didn't stop raining and I went and enroled on a course to keep me from going nuts.

Archived