out in the UK with ozzy relatives

They are looking at the prices compared to what people earn in UK we also was expensive in this light when we were over for three months in 2010. We looked at ordinary folk not filmstar wages types. Of course its dearer here as our dollar is high and people come with pounds. However when on dollars there is not much difference.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Been out with the ozzy relatives who have come over for 3 weeks from Perth.

Makes me want to get over there even more, the great stories they talk about.

They cant believe how expensive the UK is compared to Perth, and how cold it is here:goofy:

Glad you had a great time Graham.

Yes the UK is COLD .

I can understand them saying how expensive the UK is, especially so if they are just plain working people. My own relatives said the same when they visited.

OH and I are just plain working people,and we think the UK is fantastic for us.If we were plain working people in Australia,we'd be lucky to be able to afford a week up the river camping.

It was gorgeous out today as well,went out for a long walk,and no one,including myself were wearing winter clothing.Must just be in the part you live TACD!lol

Guest TheArmChairDetective
It was gorgeous out today as well,went out for a long walk,and no one,including myself were wearing winter clothing.Must just be in the part you live TACD!lol

Well, slightly OT but today I went out wearing an undervest, a shirt and a cardigan. I was not the only one either.

It quite hard to judge the true cost of things when you are on holiday. That works both ways.

If I owned a vest I would have worn it as it did get a little chilly today when the sun went down. I had a long sleaved shirt and a light rain jacket. But it is time to crack out the hat and gloves and search around for a fleece me thinks. The mornings are getting cold.

Hi Graham, please do not be under the impression that Perth/Oz is cheap.i'm from Scarborough so know that rent etc is much lower around our areas in Yorkshire. (much cheaper than say London) in nsw we pay 500$ per week for a flat similar size to our flat in Boro, altho we now have an extra bedroom for overseas guests etc.in Boro we paid 300 pounds a MONTH! That's now what we pay a week. Yes, washes are a little higher but they have to be really just to pay the rent etc. his isn't meant to be one of those posts to put you off, just better for warned I believe than to expect it to be as cheap as chips! :-)

They cant believe how expensive the UK is compared to Perth, and how cold it is here:goofy:

I am currently living in Perth, and have been for the last year. I've had to return to the UK unexpectedly for family reasons. I popped into M and S yesterday to buy a pair of trousers. I found a good pair for £16, and I got both legs for that, I don't think I would have in Perth. lol! I was also pleasantly surprised how non Wintery the weather was. Admittedly I'm down south, but yesterday it was sunny and pleasant, and the trees were still a lot greener than I was expecting. Temperature here was about 15/16 degrees.

I am currently living in Perth, and have been for the last year. I've had to return to the UK unexpectedly for family reasons. I popped into M and S yesterday to buy a pair of trousers. I found a good pair for £16, and I got both legs for that, I don't think I would have in Perth. lol! I was also pleasantly surprised how non Wintery the weather was. Admittedly I'm down south, but yesterday it was sunny and pleasant, and the trees were still a lot greener than I was expecting. Temperature here was about 15/16 degrees.

Thank you ......thats all thats needed really .In amongst all the bullshit and waffle , is an honest post.

Hi Graham, please do not be under the impression that Perth/Oz is cheap.i'm from Scarborough so know that rent etc is much lower around our areas in Yorkshire. (much cheaper than say London) in nsw we pay 500$ per week for a flat similar size to our flat in Boro, altho we now have an extra bedroom for overseas guests etc.in Boro we paid 300 pounds a MONTH! That's now what we pay a week. Yes, washes are a little higher but they have to be really just to pay the rent etc. his isn't meant to be one of those posts to put you off, just better for warned I believe than to expect it to be as cheap as chips! :-)

Yeah thanks. I have been doing lots of research into perth. Find out end of october if the company i will be working for can sponsor me still, so fingers crossed.

We pay £500 per month for a three bed house 15 miles west of Hull in a village. Looked into rents in perth and roughly $500 per week, but the wages are 3 times more than i am on in the UK so overall not too bad.

My partners family are here for 3 weeks and they are born and bred in perth and tell us most things are quite cheap if you shop around and look for deals coming up.

Ohhhhh well will find that out for our selves i suppose once there. Hopefully december or january.

Breaking news .......Australians arrive in England and say its cold ..............please

Breaking news .......Brits arrive in Australia and say " ooh its hot "

Expensive compared to oz my a.se ..........ive had family here recently from oz so i know

Breaking news .......Australians arrive in England and say its cold ..............please

Breaking news .......Brits arrive in Australia and say " ooh its hot "

Expensive compared to oz my a.se ..........ive had family here recently from oz so i know

I find it expensive here compared to 2 years ago. I also find it more expensive living on one wage here compared to living on one wage in Sydney. Just because you have had family here doesn't mean what they have told you is anymore correct or wrong then what the OP's family have told him.

I like these sort of threads because it just goes to show that some people that try and show/think they may be 'better' than others on other threads react exactly the same way.

OH and I are just plain working people,and we think the UK is fantastic for us.If we were plain working people in Australia,we'd be lucky to be able to afford a week up the river camping.

I like the UK and had some great holidays when we lived there, we're also plain working people and going to Singapore for our hols (although my hubby and son have just returned from a camping trip)

I find it expensive here compared to 2 years ago. I also find it more expensive living on one wage here compared to living on one wage in Sydney. Just because you have had family here doesn't mean what they have told you is anymore correct or wrong then what the OP's family have told him.

I like these sort of threads because it just goes to show that some people that try and show/think they may be 'better' than others on other threads react exactly the same way.

Who are they, then?

Archived