Living the dream?

tony74

Hi, it really will settle, we arrived here beginning of June and I was sweating at first when I went shopping or done anything, now I have apart time job, hubby got another job and it is soo much better now, there is just so much to pay out for at first

We all think that to start with, but its not that bad! Today I got 2 pairs kids pj's from Target for $16, thats about 6.50gpb a pair - so not expensive - and they are not crap ones either! There are rip off places but it just takes time to find out the places to go.

Even about 5.30gbp a pair - my maths is rubbish!

Start up costs can be sore, but it does settle down. Finding the right places to buy things does help...if you buy all your groceries in one shop in Oz, chances are you will be spending a lot. If you look for specials, buy from markets or even the grocer or butcher across from the supermarket, and vary between coles and woolies and from time to time use Aldi, you will probably save a fair bit. You really do pay for the convenience of using one store here.

It does get easier once you know where to go. The other thing to avoid is waste, especially with food. Plan meals and shopping so you only buy what you need or can freeze. The less you throw out, the less you spend!

Buying clothes at the end of season is a good idea, they reduce them right down. My mum picked up a coat which had been a couple of hundred for fifty and then topped it with a jacket that had been over 200, reduced, reduced again and seventy percent off reduced price she got it for thirty four dollars in Myer.

We keep away from the sales but we do go for the mark downs which pop up all the time.

If you go to the butchers late in the day or drop into the markets just before closing time you can pick up some freezer fillers very cheaply.

Costco for the family shop, too much for us though.

Avoid the bread with the lable and buy from Bakers Delight or supermarket bread, they seem to be making more varieties these days.

So many ways to cut costs.

Australia is an expensive place to live, there is no getting away from that so it is a case of shopping smart.

I agree, when you see bargains grab them and fill up your freezer, if you see a pair if shoes or boots on sale buy two or three pairs, same goes for cloths also, just shop in the cheaper outlets.

The first 6 months to a year here it seems to be spend, spend ,spend as there is sooo much to pay for and buy. Once your settled and find the better places to shop you do see a big drop in outgoings.

You dont have to go to the 'cheapy' shops to do this,DFO is like a factory outlet and in January i bought 3 pairs of Leather Puma trainers (2 adult size, 1 child) from the Puma shop and they cost me $100 for them ALL.

As for food, once youve been here a while and have some stuff / stock in your cupboards your shopping list wont be as long each week.

Hang in there it will get better

Cal x

Do all the free stuff. Luckily in QLD we have been able to go to parks/beach all through the winter.

Here annual passes for things over only cost the same as one or two visits so worth doing.

Yes - target/kmart etc.

Cheap Tuesdays for things like cinema. Often places like pizza places will have good deals on Tuesdays too (here in QLD anyway).

Buy meat from butchers not supermarket

Buy fruit and vegetables from market not supermarket.

Buy all the specials - half price cereal last week so bought 14 packets. Felt well daft but needs must.

Buy all the specials - half price cereal last week so bought 14 packets. Felt well daft but needs must.

Should have just told them you had a lot of children! ;-)

I do that though, if something I use is on special I buy a few even though I dont need them.

Do all the free stuff. Luckily in QLD we have been able to go to parks/beach all through the winter.

Here annual passes for things over only cost the same as one or two visits so worth doing.

Yes - target/kmart etc.

Cheap Tuesdays for things like cinema. Often places like pizza places will have good deals on Tuesdays too (here in QLD anyway).

Buy meat from butchers not supermarket

Buy fruit and vegetables from market not supermarket.

I love this - Good on ya:biggrin:

In response to the OP, what is it that you are struggling with? Any move (even down the road) is not a cheap thing to do, let alone moving to another country. Are you surprised by the cost of living or thought you would earn more than you are currently doing? I wouldn't dream of telling you "how to suck eggs", but now that you have a job, it will be easier to get another, better paid job. We have always been told, take the first job to get Aussie experience for a few months, settle yourself in and then look for the "proper" job so to speak.

I hope things get better for you. I am sure it is incredibly frustrating for you at the moment, but I am sure there are some PIO'ers who have been there, got the T shirt and live in your area and can point you in the right direction.

Archived