Moving to Mandurah in October, advice would be great

Guest gerardburke

Guest gerardburke

Hello everyone,

My partner and I are moving to Mandurah from the start of october, Visa and job all sorted but I am worried about the rent market,

My question is for a max of $450 a week hopefully lower :biggrin: will it be hard to get a lease fast? We have 10 days booked into a hotel so we can look for perm accommodation, It must have air con and be nice. I will be starting work after that and want to have our place sorted as fast as possible.

Any advice would be great, Can't wait for the move but the renting does worry me so please dip in with your thoughts.

Mandurah is a beautiful town, you will love it.

As far as property rentals there is an abundance of various properties, agents are very helpful and a good security deposit never goes wrong, take bank statements to evidence that you can make payments, also any references from your lender or landlord. Domain and Real estate are excellent websites to secure the property but you must view and accept the T's and's first.

Get out of the hotel asap as with the exchange rate funds can deplenish quickly.

Good luck and all the best.

Buddy

Guest gerardburke
Mandurah is a beautiful town, you will love it.

As far as property rentals there is an abundance of various properties, agents are very helpful and a good security deposit never goes wrong, take bank statements to evidence that you can make payments, also any references from your lender or landlord. Domain and Real estate are excellent websites to secure the property but you must view and accept the T's and's first.

Get out of the hotel asap as with the exchange rate funds can deplenish quickly.

Good luck and all the best.

Buddy

Firstly thanks for your reply.

security deposit? What exactly is this? The advice you have given is great I will bring as much as I can for proof of payments and previous rentals. With regards to the hotel I would like to get out after a day if I could :biggrin: but we have given ourselves a good bit of time to look around and view areas, The money would be gone very fast if we stayed there too long,

Thanks again Buddy

Edited by gerardburke
bad spelling

Rental Agents require a bond on any rental, this is returnable on exit of the property and is securely held with an independant body, this is usually a months rental, so you can expect to pay two months up front, if you offer another three say, you have more chance of being accepted. They have open viewing for rentals and most have a half hour slot, any prospective tenant can view and apply, the landlord then chooses the winner ha ha, anyway there are a lot of lovely areas in Mandurah, it depends on the lifestyle you want to buy, good city links, train station etc and just lovely, good luck. It is slightly daunting as you ccompare the exchange rate so often, try not to fall into that trap, earn $ think $ good luck

Buddy

Guest gerardburke
Rental Agents require a bond on any rental, this is returnable on exit of the property and is securely held with an independant body, this is usually a months rental, so you can expect to pay two months up front, if you offer another three say, you have more chance of being accepted. They have open viewing for rentals and most have a half hour slot, any prospective tenant can view and apply, the landlord then chooses the winner ha ha, anyway there are a lot of lovely areas in Mandurah, it depends on the lifestyle you want to buy, good city links, train station etc and just lovely, good luck. It is slightly daunting as you ccompare the exchange rate so often, try not to fall into that trap, earn $ think $ good luck

Buddy

Thanks buddy it is daunting alright, will be worried until i get a place i guess, Offering 3 months is a good idea but will be a lot of money which may run us tight.

Is it a case of lodging the money before you know if you get the rental? I heard this but was not sure? If so when would I get my money back if not successful?

Edited by gerardburke

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes you do have to pay a fee ( after you have viewed the property ) before you know if your application is accepted. It tends to be the smaller rental agencies that do that though. The fee is a notice of 'interest' and is normally half of one weeks rent. If your application is chosen then it is taken off the deposit/four weeks rent that you pay in advance. If your application is not successful then you get the money back. The larger agencies generally do not do this, however, I have had to do that with a couple of properties in WA.

1 weeks rent with application then 3 weeks up front(makes it to 4 weeks) pet bonds if applicable, bond is 4 weeks.

1 weeks rent we paid by personal cheque(a lot of companies don't accept cash) the rest we had to pay by a bankers draft(wouldn't accept personal cheque for that)

Rental markets are tight in Perth and are fairly similar in mandurah area as some people have experienced.

I think 10 days will be very tight.....2 sets of families I know took at least 2-4 weeks to secure somewhere....agents can sometimes act slowly when competing reference checks etc WA=wait awhile....the rental may also not be available straight away either as many advertised ahead of current tenants moving out.

Hi,

We are moving to Mandurah too in October (the 9th) and will aslo be looking for a rental. Do you have any children too?

If you would like to meet up anytime that would be great. Let me know.:cute:

I can PM you details if you like of phone number and address etc.....

Lisa.

Guest gerardburke
1 weeks rent with application then 3 weeks up front(makes it to 4 weeks) pet bonds if applicable, bond is 4 weeks.

1 weeks rent we paid by personal cheque(a lot of companies don't accept cash) the rest we had to pay by a bankers draft(wouldn't accept personal cheque for that)

Rental markets are tight in Perth and are fairly similar in mandurah area as some people have experienced.

Thanks for the help, I have another question of coarse :biggrin:

lets say the bond is $1400 and the rent $350 pw is this a case of $1400 bond plus $350x4= $1400 so my total to move into a place at the start is $2800 ?

Guest J Mo Murphy

Hi there! (Just over two years in Perth from London)

We live in Secret Harbour (really nice suburb, little Britain!) just 10 minutes drive from the beautiful Mandurah.

The rental market along the Old Mandurah Road corridor* is very tight at the moment but don't let that put you off.

*Port Kennedy, Secret Harbour, Golden Bay, Singleton, Madora Bay, Lakelands, Meadow Springs, Mandurah Town, Halls Head. Will also throw in Baldivis although not as close to Mandurah but a great place to live.

The key is finding a decent estate agent willing to help and work quickly for you as they are flush with trade at the moment with so many British and Kiwis arriving in Perth. This can be done in a matter of days but be prepared for some frustration.

You'll also want to do your homework on certain areas as some may look idillic but can be troublesome (I won't mention them openly in fear of upsetting other forum users), but I would recommend you really take your time over the first week in studying this.

Do try and avoid renting on or close do main roads as the locals like to show off in their V8's and that can be very unsettling but generally all is good.

In terms of rental budgets, $450 is about the right mark for a decent clean 4x2 Aussie home, anything less and you'll be limited to areas to live. As its coming into summer shortly a pool is a must if you can stretch to $500+ per week.

Mandurah Town/Halls Head is not cheap to rent in as its well established and surrounded by multi million dollar canal properties, although still plenty of choice in the surrounding areas.

To be honest you'd probably be better off cancelling the hotel and renting a furnished holiday let or short termer (3 months) so that way you can still stretch out and view areas at your leisure. Check out http://www.stayz.com.au for holiday lets or http://www.realestate.com.au.

If you require any further info about schools or areas in general then PM me.

Have a safe journey and bring plenty of sun screen...you'll need it from October onwards!

Guest J Mo Murphy

Hi there! (Just over two years in Perth from London)

We live in Secret Harbour (really nice suburb, little Britain!)

just 10 minutes drive from the beautiful Mandurah.

The rental market along the Old Mandurah Road corridor* is very tight at the moment but don't let that put you off.

*Port Kennedy, Secret Harbour, Golden Bay, Singleton, Madora Bay, Lakelands, Meadow Springs, Mandurah Town, Halls Head. Will also throw in Baldivis although not as close to Mandurah but a great place to live.

The key is finding a decent estate agent willing to help and work quickly for you as they are flush with trade at the moment with so many British and Kiwis arriving in Perth. This can be done in a matter of days but be prepared for some frustration.

You'll also want to do your homework on certain areas as some may look idillic but can be troublesome (I won't mention them openly in fear of upsetting other forum users), but I would recommend you really take your time over the first week in studying this.

Do try and avoid renting on or close do main roads as the locals like to show off in their V8's and that can be very unsettling but generally all is good.

In terms of rental budgets, $450 is about the right mark for a decent clean 4x2 Aussie home, anything less and you'll be limited to areas to live. As its coming into summer shortly a pool is a must if you can stretch to $500+ per week.

Mandurah Town/Halls Head is not cheap to rent in as its well established and surrounded by multi million dollar canal properties, although still plenty of choice in the surrounding areas.

To be honest you'd probably be better off cancelling the hotel and renting a furnished holiday let or short termer (3 months) so that way you can still stretch out and view areas at your leisure. Check out http://www.stayz.com.au for holiday lets or http://www.realestate.com.au.

If you require any further info about schools or areas in general then PM me.

Have a safe journey and bring plenty of sun screen...you'll need it from October onwards!

Hi we're in Dudley park, mandurah if you need any help with things. As for rentals I would suggest giving yourself a month to get one, they are in demand down here and you need to wait for a viewing date, then if you apply it can take up to a week before you hear if you have it or not, not the easiest thing to secure but you will get one. Still a fantastic place to live :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lakshman

I'm planning to ove to Manduraha by December.Could anyone assissts me to find temporary accomadation for short period such as two weeks period untill we move to our best match house in Mandura.

Seeking advicess from who in Mandurah or familier one.

Hi there all,

Well after alot of looking around we too are looking at comming to Mandurah in Febuary 2013. We are a family of 4 from Germany/UK who are looking to start our new life back in Oz. I get the feeling that the people moving to this area are looking for something more than the ones going direct around Perth.

I have a question and please don't take it wrong. How is the mix of nationality's in Mandurah?

As i hear that around Perth is a very high rate of English and not much else. It would be great to hear from you all and to know if any of you have contact with any other nationality's.

• 1 month later...
Hi there all,

Well after alot of looking around we too are looking at comming to Mandurah in Febuary 2013. We are a family of 4 from Germany/UK who are looking to start our new life back in Oz. I get the feeling that the people moving to this area are looking for something more than the ones going direct around Perth.

I have a question and please don't take it wrong. How is the mix of nationality's in Mandurah?

As i hear that around Perth is a very high rate of English and not much else. It would be great to hear from you all and to know if any of you have contact with any other nationality's.

There are a lot of English around Perth for sure, but they are generally after the same thing as you, a new life, so usually everyone is friendly and helpful. Usually having been through the same hoops. We've got a lot of friends of varying nationalities and we live in Perth's Northern suburbs (pom's paradise). There are a lot of South Africans, Italians, Greeks, especially round Fremantle.

Good luck