Doggie dilemma

tommo007

Hi, I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on pets but here goes. We're hoping to move to Perth next year, we decided in January that it's now or never however we have a 2 year old labradoodle that I adore and at first we decided if we were making the move he would defiantly be coming with us. I am starting to have concerns now whether or not we should take him and the only reason why is that we will have to rent at first and wonder would we struggle to find one with a large dog? I would also want him to live indoors with us not outside. Has anyone moved over there with a dog and struggled to find rentals?

Guest Shell15

We havent moved there as yet, but we are taking our dog with us. It would break my heart to leave him, he is part of the family. Saying that we considered how he would cope with the whole flying and quarantine process they have to go through, and we nearly did leave him. But after alot of thought we decided we couldnt do it. Its a tough decision, looking on realestate.com.au has proven that there are properties out there who will accept pets, so I think you would be alright. But only you can make that decision. Good luck ..

I think that the whole rental thing with a dog is harder, but not impossible! It would be worth getting some references for your pooch (vets, groomer etc). I think that it generally comes down to the landlord - whilst many agents say no to pets as standard, if you get them to ask the landlord they may well not be too worried. I'm taking my dog, and i'll just have to keep my fingers crossed when the time comes - it doesn't sem to right to leave my pal behind based on the worry that I might not be able to rent the house that I want!

Good luck!

totally agree with the above comments, we too considered leaving our adorable boxer Barney behind....but as I watch him snuggled up on the sofa, we know that if we didn't take him, our big exciting move down under would be dampened by having to give him up. He is one of the family, and I also know how much he will enjoy leaving out there and with much more 'outside' time...I'm sure we'll all find somewhere to rent with our adorable pooches!!

I've just had a quick look a real estate in WA and lists a large number that will allow pets :) fingers crossed!

My two Hooligans are going no matter what. My husband reminds them of how much it is costing us to take them frequently:biggrin:

I have noticed a lot of rentals say "pets considered" so they are available. Personally, I would rather let to a pet than a child, but hey only my opinion. I have also read that sometimes landlords can state that pets must remain outside. I believe this is normal and you sign even though the pet does sleep inside at night. My two prefer to be out in the garden mooching about or snoozing on the terrace during the day in the good weather anyway.

It might help to get a testimonial from a kennels or a person who has cared for your dog previously to state their character and that they have found them not to cause any damage etc - a character reference for a pooch basically. It also believe it helps to take photos of your previous home and the dog.

Good Luck.

We brought ours over. Having a dog does narrow your choices down when looking at rentals. Having a reference for your pet is a good idea if you can get one. You have to pay a bigger bond at the start. But some places that don't mention pets will also consider them if you ask.Most rental agreements state that the dog has to live outdoors. Many of the dogs apparently live indoors, except on inspection days.Dogs forget about quarantine and settle into their new life very quickly.

Can they do unannounced inspections or do they have to give you notice?

Thay are supposed to give you 24 hours notice, down here in Tas,,,,but having said that the landlords can be a "rule to themselves", and to be honest you havent got many options for complaint if they dont

A word of warning , dont think for 1 minute that you will be able to "sneak" your dog in ,because this is a very small place, everyone knows everyone, or they are related in some way, and most people will know who the landlord is, and will be on the phone to him, within minutes,to let them know you have a dog.

There are some landlords who will accept pets, but they are very few and far between

Some of the "grottier" properties may let you keep a dog outside

Just as an example, when we first arrived, we were staying in a cheap motel, until we could get somewhere to live.Our cats were in quarantine in melbourne, and we went and got them a new litter tray, for when we picked them up, and brought them home

Anyway, we left the new litter tray in the room, with all of our stuff

we were stopped from entering the motel, on our return, as the cleaner had told the motel owner we had cats in the room!!!!

which of course we dident, and she could see that it was new tray, ,all wrapped in plastic,but evenso,,,they wanted to chuck us out!!!

I found that if we only looked at properties that said in the ad that they were pet friendly, then we didn't run the risk of falling in love with a place only to be told they don't accept pets. The one we found is lovely and at first they said we would have to keep the dog outside... not on! So they agreed for him to be an inside dog. Thank goodness cause we get LOADS of cane toads here in summer. He licked one in the garden on our first night in this house. Scary stuff!

Although, not sure how easy it will be to get a reference from the landlord for the next place... the dog was out back and we were at work when a thunder storm struck and he chewed the back door trying to get in the house! That was an expensive thunder storm... not looking forward to storm season this year...

We had all the same concerns,we've moved to Perth,found a lovely rental that will except our very large lab/retriever ,we just had to pay a pet bond of $230,we brought a dog reference from the kennells we used to say he was well behaved and house trained.I'd say don't panic everything sorts its self out eventually.The Austrailians seem to like dogs!

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

I have posted a few posts on here regarding the trouble we are having getting a rental - our dog arrived one week before us as it was the only slot Melbourne quarantine had so we took it - Big mistake - my advice would be to come out get somewhere to live THEN fly your dog out afterwards. Our dog comes out of quaratine this weekend and we cant take her to our flat / we cant get a rental and all the kennels are full cause its half term! Wife beside herself with worry !

We are now looking at holiday lets that allow dogs to give us an extra week or so to find a home whilst keeping the flat on so we dont loose our place to sleep thats about $400 PER DAY for a week or until a bone idle agent gets back to us !

We rented three properties with a dog .. you have to remind yourself that what you would rent maybe would not be your choice to buy , you do what you have to get a rental with fur baby .... we paid dog bond twice and extra on the rent on another house.also they really want to know age and breed,they probably wouldn't want a puppy in a rental .. toilet training and chewing damage etc

We rented three properties with a dog .. you have to remind yourself that what you would rent maybe would not be your choice to buy , you do what you have to get a rental with fur baby .... we paid dog bond twice and extra on the rent on another house.also they really want to know age and breed,they probably wouldn't want a puppy in a rental .. toilet training and chewing damage etc

Agree with above

We had a clause written into contract at our suggestion to repair any damamge made by pets,

I also advised them our dogs were house trained, quite and friendly unlike most children,

and they still let children live in rentals !

We applied for two propertys and got offered both on the same day ! A bit of luck maybee ?

Its not impossible to get a rental with pets but it does narrow down your options.

Archived