London 2012: Olympics

StevieF8

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lisa crowe

Yeah it was them lol, but who the hell decided on Macca??? Seriously we have some great British musicians/groups/singers and they put him on!!

He wasn't even that good when the Beatles where going and he hasn't improved!

Dunno, personally I would have gone for someone like Paul Weller or Peter Gabriel, or Kate Bush, or Thom Yorke, or David Bowie, or Dave Gilmore, or Roger Daltry, or Morrissey, or......

Hell, even the Spice Girls would've done! Maybe theyre gonna be in the closing ceremony...

I enjoyed it very iconic very British. Two things though I think the Queen could have smiled and peach doesn't suite her in dress sense. Sir Paul can't really sing for toffee in my view,although a great song writer.

A Tory politican thought it a little too left wing and political with the multi culturism and NHS, but I thought it ok. I am not sure how well it will translate internationally be interesting to get feed back on that. I expect a little baffling to many.......

It lacked the technical style of Beijing which was a little too perfect...All in all London was very good.

Edited by flag of convenience

Guest lisa crowe
Dunno, personally I would have gone for someone like Paul Weller or Peter Gabriel, or Kate Bush, or Thom Yorke, or David Bowie, or Dave Gilmore, or Roger Daltry, or Morrissey, or......

Hell, even the Spice Girls would've done! Maybe theyre gonna be in the closing ceremony...

Exactly!....Fecking Macca tell thee *( shakes head with the shame of it)*

Its just a spectacle. Does anyone else think that its an obscene waste of money when the country is financially in the poo? Vital services are underfunded to the point of collapse...but at least we can put on a good show....nah......not for me:no:

I do wish the dedicated athletes of both the UK and Australia all the very best though.

27 million quid I understand the opening cost. It is supposed to sell the nation to the world ....it may put spirits up for awhile at the very least.

Its just a spectacle. Does anyone else think that its an obscene waste of money when the country is financially in the poo? Vital services are underfunded to the point of collapse...but at least we can put on a good show....nah......not for me:no:

I do wish the dedicated athletes of both the UK and Australia all the very best though.

2 points:

We won the bid in 2005 before the GFC, so we had to put them on, did the OC cost too much? No, I think they got it just about spot on

£27m for a show that will be watched by billions, you couldnt do it on the cheap, would make the country look bad in front of the world

When the games are over, if we have made a profit, then it has been successful, You have to speculate to accumulate, so time will tell, but seeing as £700m came from sponsors, the cost of the OC wasn't even 5% of the sponsorship money that we're getting to put the games on

It was written for you Fiona, couldn't you see that?

There were so many hidden stories in there it was like a feature film...

Danny Boyle's got working class social roots which comes through in all his work, and I think it did more for the NHS than any advertising campaign, or strike, against service cuts and eroding health care.

A show put on using NHS staff, who weren't being paid, advertising their worth and history, in front of a billion people around the world? Kids being attacked by Voldemort only to be saved by Mary Poppins? What was that meant to represent?

A show showing the industrial revolution and how the country was built on the toil of the working people, currently despised and treated like rubbish by it's Government?

The British Film Industry, recently slashed to it's roots and nearly destroyed, but celebrated in film and music?

They'll be picking that show to pieces for weeks....it was popular subversion at it's finest.

It wasn't as polished, expensive or as clinically perfect as Beijing, but far more enriching and the message was much stronger.

For all it's faults this is the history, culture and society of the people of the UK. Black, white, punk, classical, techno, cynical, humorous...but overly compassionate people who can create something out of nothing and aspire to want fair treatment for all. That overrides all politics and governments which may have different targets, but isn't it a better target?

You can see why that Nazi-costume wearing Tory MP blew his top and called it "lefty multiculturalist rubbish" . He might be right....but that's his constituents he's describing so he's kissed goodbye to his short career in politics.

It was a masterstroke and sticks two fingers up at Cameron and his cronies.

Edited by Slean Wolfhead

Guest guest17301

I probably need to watch it to comment further but are you saying it was an arena for the making of a huge political statement? If so very clever...do you rhink the millions who watched it got the joke?

How proud was I after watching the opening ceremony. GO Team GB

And the naysayers said we were finished, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,awesome ......clever ...........innovative .....and very british .

The sections with the queen and james bond ............and then the clips with mr bean ...........brilliant ..........loved it......STILL NO 1 .............

I was thinking the same. Very innovative. Good ideas and meticulous execution made up for the lack of billions that the Chinese had. Just didn't like the scary dark characters from never land as my kids were watching and they were enough to give them a few nightmares!:jimlad:.

Yeah it was them lol, but who the hell decided on Macca??? Seriously we have some great British musicians/groups/singers and they put him on!!

He wasn't even that good when the Beatles where going and he hasn't improved!

That was a real let down for me at the end-the rest was fantastic but just like the jubilee he was poor.

The reason for not picking Beckham in the football was not picking people on past glories apparently-maybe Stuart Pearce should have been in charge!

We had far better and stronger candidates for that last slot and think it was a wasted opportunity

That was a real let down for me at the end-the rest was fantastic but just like the jubilee he was poor.

Not sure what happened there....he seemed to be in stereo at the beginning with two voices singing at different times.

I'm wondering if he was meant to be miming and it went wrong, so they switched the tape off and he had to sing

2 points:

We won the bid in 2005 before the GFC, so we had to put them on, did the OC cost too much? No, I think they got it just about spot on

£27m for a show that will be watched by billions, you couldnt do it on the cheap, would make the country look bad in front of the world

When the games are over, if we have made a profit, then it has been successful, You have to speculate to accumulate, so time will tell, but seeing as £700m came from sponsors, the cost of the OC wasn't even 5% of the sponsorship money that we're getting to put the games on

I agree if we had skimped on the cost of the ceremony that would have looked awful and been bad for business in the long run, only my opinion though.

Guest guest36187

It catered for young and old. They took on British history, literature and I loved it! Interesting to see how Australia perceive the uk.

Guest Dave53

WOW ... I've just seen the most incredible Olympic opening ceremony ever .. I know I'm slightly , well a lot really biased , but how could anyone not be absolutely bowled over by it . It had everything , from comedy to factual , to historical to literature , you name it , it had it .. Magnificent ... As Sebastian Coe said , today I feel the most British I have ever felt .. I'm so proud of the people and the organisation that put on such a fantastic display , we should all applaude them ...I'm still buzzing from it all , and if the opening ceremony is any indication of what is to come , we are in for a treat .. The best ever opening ?? .... Absolutely , without any shadow of a doubt !! grin..

Guest JK2510

Currently watching the coverage on 9....WOW what an amazing event....proud to be British....amazing combination of entertainment for young and old!

Guest trasi

Totally fantastic..... awesome...... put that in your pipe and smoke it rest of the world !!!!! :laugh:

proud to be british !

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I loved the music medley, from the 60s onwards, brought back a lot of great memories, it was a fantastic opening ceremony.