Brits taking over Perth's north

StevieF8

Just like in the UK in many areas for the British.

I myself will avoid living in those areas, why go all that way and live in a little community full of brits. Mind you I will visit the area during sports events :biggrin:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like in the UK in many areas for the British.

I myself will avoid living in those areas, why go all that way and live in a little community full of brits. Mind you I will visit the area during sports events :biggrin:

I imagine if I was a British child of immigrants to Britain, I'd find this comment quite offensive

Perhaps a limit per suburb on the number of Pommy migrants allowed to settle in any one paticular place could be the answer. Enclaves or ghettos where decent local born fear to tread need to be pulled down the the intruders dispersed around the country. The adaption process may have a least half a chance to work.

Thandk goodness immigrants from other nations are bringing a degree of sanity to Australia's crazy immigration policy.

Yeh! top notch ghetto Mindarie. It's surrounded by million dollar mansions with their own boat ramps. Far cry from a ghetto. Didn't see anything in the article where it said decent local born fear to tread either.

Found this bit interesting.

The number of Indian residents jumped from 14,096 to 29,918 and the number of Chinese to make their home here doubled from 8001 to 16,691.

There was an even bigger jump in migrants from the Philippines, from 6866 to 17,230.

Why that would be interesting to you in your little enclave of Stratford-Upon-Avon escapes me though PB. I would have thought you would have been more interested in the number of ethnic minorities which may affect you way of life than being interested in what's happening on the other side of the world.

Im not on about if the place is good or bad, the point is, go to any suburb in Perth and you KNOW you are in Oz

Go to the middle of Luton and you get the impression that your in Islamabad

Perthbum wouldn't have to go quite that far Stevie. He would only have to travel down the Stratford Road towards Birmingham for about 30Km and you might as well be in the middle of Mumbai.

Guest thepastyman

"I only have one complaint to make about them. When I go down to watch the Rugby World Cup or the cricket, I find I am the only one barracking for Australia. They all still barrack for England. I have had many an argument over a pint of Guinness. But apart from that I think it's great."

When the weather forecast in hell is for prolonged icy/cold spells I will consider backing the green and gold over the old country.

I have to admit that it is becoming really difficult to settle in the ghetto of Mindarie. I feel that we are going to have to go back to the UK due to the screaming gangs of kids wandering the streets mugging old people and looking for puppies to tie in a bag and throw in the sea. At 6' 2" and 16 stone even I am afraid to leave the house between the hours of midday and a minute past and there are times when we have to go without food for days as we are too afraid to venture out to the shops.

Fortunately there are enough of us now to have formed a vigilante gang who patrol the streets during the hours of darkness. I am so glad that I did not move to an area where I would have to assimilate into the Australian culture and found an area full of people like me. Can you imagine having to live somewhere full of people who are different? The horror.

The Boat is actually going to be renamed "The Pub Down The Road Where You Can Get A Decent Pint But Only Because The Bar Staff Are Like Us" and whinging Aussies will be sacked.

There, that should keep the holier than thou miserable sods out of our lovely little suburb. Those who wish to enjoy and get on with life are obviously more than welcome. You would think that people would have more to their lives than to create a six page thread about an article which in all reality is pretty light hearted.

Si

Actually becoming far less true. Check out Mirrabooka especially but also surrondings burbs and a good number of the folk about are African or Middle Eastern.....Hardly what made have once been considered a typical Perth suburb profile.

Noticed that a bit round Mirrabooka, Went to a squash match their last year, about 35 degrees and saw 2 black guys with jeans hanging so low that they had to keep their hands in their pockets to keep them from falling down, hoodies and baseball caps. Never seen anyone look so far out of place. As long as they don't start causing trouble and integrate the same as the poms have done in Mindarie though, there shouldn't be any problems at all.

There is a MASSIVE difference between Brits emigrating and assimilating into the society and culture of Oz and the people who move to the UK and try to change the culture to suit themselves and their agenda

Of course, Brits are a better class of 'foreigner'

Take a trip to anyone of these places....

Tower Hamlets

Bradford

Luton

Bolton

Rochdale

Newham

Leicester

Do you still think nothing has been changed in the UK???

Go to North Perth, have a look around and apart from the odd British Shop, there is no way from just looking around that you wouldnt think you was in Perth or any 'Australian' suburb

And? Australian and Britain should both be defined by being a White Anglo Saxon? Get real mate. You remind me of the old bloke I had the misfortune of sharing the same bus stop with in LUTON. He bemoaned all the 'Stanis' taking over the country. This was over 30 years ago

Im not on about if the place is good or bad, the point is, go to any suburb in Perth and you KNOW you are in Oz

Go to the middle of Luton and you get the impression that your in Islamabad

Go to certain parts of Geelong and you could be in Croatia, certain parts of Melbourne and you could be in Vietnam, so what?

[/color]Spot on..... Going back to OP, i was just about to say he wants try being in Brit in London !!! :sad:

Define a 'Brit'

Thats the thing with the Brits moving around the world, until they speak, most of the time you dont know where they're from

They don't go in and try and change things, at least not in Oz, thats why the article is mis-leading

Australia is, for me, like the USA, they wont take any s*** from anyone about their Country - you either fit in or you **** off!

See, this is precisely the sort of attitude I hate, basically fit in or f88k off

Perthbum wouldn't have to go quite that far Stevie. He would only have to travel down the Stratford Road towards Birmingham for about 30Km and you might as well be in the middle of Mumbai.

see my earlier point. For the record I feel safer on a night out in Chinatown in Melbourne surrounded by Chinese people than I do on a night out in Geelong, surrounded by pissed up Aussie bogans. Or for that matter in St Albans, surrounded by pissed up chavs.

Yeh! top notch ghetto Mindarie. It's surrounded by million dollar mansions with their own boat ramps. Far cry from a ghetto. Didn't see anything in the article where it said decent local born fear to tread either.

Reading between the lines..football shirts.Pubs full of shaven headed, covered in tats foul mouthed leering boozed up alpha English males, wearing an assortment of pommy football club shirts .....pretty easy to see local born given a wide berth to such imported behaviour.

We all know that the piles are way over valued in Perth.

Reading between the lines..football shirts.Pubs full of shaven headed, covered in tats foul mouthed leering boozed up alpha English males, wearing an assortment of pommy football club shirts .....pretty easy to see local born given a wide berth to such imported behaviour.

As opposed to loud mouthed Aussies in AFL shirts and bare feet shouting f**k off we're full?

Edited by Si T

Geez - talk about making assumptions! Its actually quite nice out there and the pubs and bars are actually very civilised.

I don't get the need for people to knock EVERYTHING.

Not of course that there is anything wrong with Mumbai.Doubt if Birmingham would compare much with the vibe felt in Mumbai. Never been to Brum though...but do know Mumbai a bit.

I can''t say I've witnessed an AFL supporter shouting such obcenities myself. I wonder if this sort of thing happens down Mindarie much?

How would I know? I'm too busy singing lecherous football songs to notice.

wonder if there is going to be an article about all the Italians in Fremantle, the Jewish and South African in Dianella, the Sudanese in Balga/ Mirrabooka, the

Croatians in Munster and the Sikh Community in Canning Vale. May be the same journalist could interview all the bar men in those areas.

ALEX Bowen says he's the "odd man out". An Australian in his own country, he shouldn't feel he's part of a minority. But he does.

Petals you wrote:- "I read this article and the aussie barman was not complaining at all" After reading what Alex Bowen said, quoted above, I still think he is complaining

"We have lived here over thirty years and my oh gets asked to repeat at times, does it upset him, no, not at all. Same with anyone who has a different accent"

Whats that got to do with it? Its the barman who is complaining. Not the customers.

Give it thirty years and you will get the Aussie humour. He is having a laugh.

I've been to the boat at Mindarie and it's not like that. The nearest I've seen to that was a pub in Woodvale and a quick visit to one near Mindarie but just of Marmion avenue. To be fair the pub advertises itself as an English pub and seems to attract the people like you mention. Went once for a meal and felt like we were back in Manchester.

Very close to the boat at Mindarie is the Indian Ocean brewery. Bit more expensive as the beer is brewed there and a bit nicer surrounds. Beer garden and outside bars with live music. Great place for a Sunday afternoon. Great beer and atmosphere, good mixture of people too.