Brits taking over Perth's north

StevieF8

ALEX Bowen says he's the "odd man out". An Australian in his own country, he shouldn't feel he's part of a minority. But he does.

Pulling pints at The Boat pub in Mindarie, he often struggles with the assortment of strong English, Scottish and Welsh accents that bounce around the bar.

Mindarie is the epicentre of a cluster of northern coastal suburbs that the British High Commission in Canberra recognises as the biggest concentration of Brits outside the UK.

And according to the latest census, their stranglehold on the area is tightening. Outsiders straying into the coastal strip can be forgiven for thinking the old colony, as the English jokingly call it, has been re-colonised.

Mr Bowen, an assistant manager at the pub, says he's outnumbered at work.

"There are a couple of other Aussies who work here, but I would say it's about 60 per cent English," he said.

"While I do sometimes feel a bit like the odd man out, having them behind the bar is pretty handy. I find it hard to understand the different accents, so it's good to have colleagues who can understand them."

Steve Alderson is another Mindarie-based Australian surrounded by Brits as well as a good sprinkling of South Africans. As president of the local soccer club Quinns ** who unsurprisingly play in red, white and blue he's been adopted by the expats who've made the club the fastest-growing in Perth.

"It was a bit of an eye-opener for me," he said. "I moved over from Newcastle, New South Wales, and there were hardly any Brits in our club over there, it was truly Aussie."

Love of the game in the "proudly Pommy suburbs" is evident in all the soccer jerseys worn at the local Ocean Keys Shopping Centre and car stickers swearing allegiance to English and Scottish clubs, rather than the Eagles and Dockers.

Down the road at Edith Cowan University's Joondalup campus, you can even enrol for the "only university course of its kind in Australia" a degree in soccer.

According to last year's census, the seven most English suburbs in Australia are all located along Perth's northern coastal strip.

The new suburb of Jindalee tops the list with 36.6 per cent, Mindarie has 27.3, Connolly 27, Burns Beach 26.9, Carramar 24 per cent, Butler 23.45 per cent and Tapping 22 per cent. When you add the Scots and Welsh into the mix, it's higher. And when the Australian-born children of these expats are subtracted, second-generation Aussies are thin on the ground.

Of 7420 inhabitants of Mindarie, only 1718 can claim both parents were born in this country (23.15 per cent). In Butler, only 2512 (26 per cent) of 9651 residents are second-generation Australians and in Jindalee, only 220 of 1181 (18.6) per cent can say the same.

All up, 230,501 West Australians were born in the UK. Kiwis make up the second-biggest migrant group (70,730), followed by South Africans (35,323) whose numbers have almost doubled since the 2006 census.

The British High Commissioner to Australia, Paul Madden, said the nation had the largest number of UK expats, followed by the US and Spain. WA was, historically, the first port of call for most of them, including his own aunt.

"My mother's sister was a 'Ten Pound Pom' who settled in Freo in the '60s," he said. "The economic dynamism, the great climate and the outdoor lifestyle make it a really attractive place to live. These people-to-people links are one important part of the very close relationship between Britain and Australia."

Mindarie MP John Quigley believes the high concentration of Brits in his constituency has had a positive effect on the area.

"Contrary to what people say about whingeing Poms, my experience as a local representative is that they are a group which seldom have anything to complain about compared with my previous electorate of Innaloo," he said.

"They generally have a very positive attitude and are grateful to be living by the beach, in the land of milk and honey.

"I only have one complaint to make about them. When I go down to watch the Rugby World Cup or the cricket, I find I am the only one barracking for Australia. They all still barrack for England. I have had many an argument over a pint of Guinness. But apart from that I think it's great."

The 2011 census highlighted significant changes in Perth's ethnic and cultural mix from the 2006 census.

The number of Indian residents jumped from 14,096 to 29,918 and the number of Chinese to make their home here doubled from 8001 to 16,691.

There was an even bigger jump in migrants from the Philippines, from 6866 to 17,230.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a limit per suburb on the number of Pommy migrants allowed to settle in any one paticular place could be the answer. Enclaves or ghettos where decent local born fear to tread need to be pulled down the the intruders dispersed around the country. The adaption process may have a least half a chance to work.

Thandk goodness immigrants from other nations are bringing a degree of sanity to Australia's crazy immigration policy.

Guest guest17301
Perhaps a limit per suburb on the number of Pommy migrants allowed to settle in any one paticular place could be the answer. Enclaves or ghettos where decent local born fear to tread need to be pulled down the the intruders dispersed around the country. The adaption process may have a least half a chance to work.

Thandk goodness immigrants from other nations are bringing a degree of sanity to Australia's crazy immigration policy.

What a ridiculous thing to suggest

Guest guest17301

Aussies are in the minority amonst the nurses where I work, the Drs and admin though are all Aussie....NOR. Where we live is predominantly Aussie...we werent interested in the new Pom dominated suburbs to be honest but thats not because of who lives there more to do with the general ambience/style of housing and facilities on offer....

There need to be some strong affirmative action against such sentiments. Oh the humanitay! Thought crimes should be punishable by a good shout down in the tradition of Saul Alinsky. Who is the community leader for the British Australian community there?

Seriously though, is this a thinly veiled attempt to attack ethnic minorities by involving the Brits? Who is the head of state for Australia? Must be a real culture shock having Brits there.

Found this bit interesting.

The number of Indian residents jumped from 14,096 to 29,918 and the number of Chinese to make their home here doubled from 8001 to 16,691.

There was an even bigger jump in migrants from the Philippines, from 6866 to 17,230.

Found this bit interesting.

The first part was supposed to neutralise any racist accusations of the above. Saying that, surely Aussies can drive taxis?

I suppose Brits are realising how immagrants in the uk feel...not really wanted.

There is a MASSIVE difference between Brits emigrating and assimilating into the society and culture of Oz

and the people who move to the UK and try to change the culture to suit themselves and their agenda

There is a MASSIVE difference between Brits emigrating and assimilating into the society and culture of Oz

and the people who move to the UK and try to change the culture to suit themselves and their agenda

Daily mail reader I suspect, the vast majority who arrive in the uk do not want change anything about the uk to what they ave just left, you get radicals in iz and the uk but the vast majority just get on with it.

Daily mail reader I suspect, the vast majority who arrive in the uk do not want change anything about the uk to what they ave just left, you get radicals in iz and the uk but the vast majority just get on with it.

Take a trip to anyone of these places....

Tower Hamlets

Bradford

Luton

Bolton

Rochdale

Newham

Leicester

Do you still think nothing has been changed in the UK???

Go to North Perth, have a look around and apart from the odd British Shop, there is no way from just looking around that you wouldnt think you was in Perth or any 'Australian' suburb

Take a trip to anyone of these places....

Tower Hamlets

Bradford

Luton

Bolton

Rochdale

Newham

Leicester

Do you still think nothing has been changed in the UK???

Go to North Perth, have a look around and apart from the odd British Shop, there is no way from just looking around that you wouldnt think you was in Perth or any 'Australian' suburb

Been to all of them except Rochdale and Luton, seem ok to me..good and bad places just like Perth.

Been to all of them except Rochdale and Luton, seem ok to me..good and bad places just like Perth.

Im not on about if the place is good or bad, the point is, go to any suburb in Perth and you KNOW you are in Oz

Go to the middle of Luton and you get the impression that your in Islamabad

Guest trasi
Im not on about if the place is good or bad, the point is, go to any suburb in Perth and you KNOW you are in Oz

Go to the middle of Luton and you get the impression that your in Islamabad

Spot on..... Going back to OP, i was just about to say he wants try being in Brit in London !!! :sad:

There was a documentary on not so long ago about the community in Bradford. There is clearly and us and them but there are people from both sides, both cultures, trying to change that and make things better. Whether that will happen remains to be seen. There are however no go areas in Bradford for white people. Hard to believe but one of my friends use to live there and there is a bit of friction between the asians and the locals.

I'm still trying to get into Australia. Clean record, clean bill of health, hard worker, grafter, but it's not happening for me. It's bloody hard just to get that break. I sometimes get the feeling that it isn't the same as trying to get into the UK.

The Daily Mail was mentioned by Perthbum. I used to buy that paper on holiday just to read all the vile and the hate. Some of it no doubt has an element of truth to it but I get the feeling that the stories are spruced up a bit to incite that shake of the fist.

However, having a friend in the immigration department and the social services some of the stories makes my blood boil. The scams that are going on with foreign migrants that I hear first hand I don't need the Daily Mail for that.

All I'll say is that the UK has one of, if not, the best benefit system's in the world and I don't know of anyone migrating to Australia to claim benefits. What goes on this Island with the behaviour of the shirkers, scammers, bankers and politicians just makes me want to have a change. Don't wish to work and pay for that no more. That's just how I feel.

Guest trasi

Macdonald..... sad but very true...... i still remember the disgraceful scenes of when 'a small minority' blatantly stood in public and burned our flags and poppies...... i would have thrown everyone single one of them bastards onto the nearest plane !!! :mad:

Sending you lots of luck with your move to Oz :cute:

Thats the thing with the Brits moving around the world, until they speak, most of the time you dont know where they're from

They don't go in and try and change things, at least not in Oz, thats why the article is mis-leading

Australia is, for me, like the USA, they wont take any s*** from anyone about their Country - you either fit in or you **** off!

i still remember the disgraceful scenes of when 'a small minority' blatantly stood in public and burned our flags and poppies...... i would have thrown everyone single one of them bastards onto the nearest plane !!! :mad:

And this is what I cannot get my head around. This is a small minority that behave this way in a land whose democracy is there to protect these people in a British and free way of life. If they don't like it as Perthbum has quite rightly pointed out ...... but I don't think they will somehow.

Wherever I go in the world I will fit in with that culture, their rules, it's disrespectful not to.

Anyway if the UK had the same all year round climate as Perth, WA, AU then I don't think I would ever want to leave and I would put up with the crap. Beaches aren't very good round here though.:biglaugh: