Do we Take our Sky+ Box with us??

ScottieandDani

HD been here a while now , not sure if your box will work here , but bring it anyway and try , i remember i just left mine , was the only thing lying around , i should have just chucked it in a tried it out , but Foxtel have everything you will need for tv/sport entertainment ........

I Live in Brisbane and have Foxtel iq, which you will know as Sky+. http://www.foxtel.com.au/discover/products-features/iq/default.htm There are limites HD channels here.

I brought my sky + box and No it dosnt work. i did however strip out the HDD from the box before i threw it and keep meaning to put it in a pc to see if i can retrieve any programs off it.

I just moved to an area where they have changed my Fox to cable, another new box and better quality.

BT Home hub - I would bring that I have an ADSL 2 package for the tinterweb and the connection is great and fast, Telstra charge for an ADSL connection and wanted to charge a little more for wireless. I just used my old router/wireless modem and did it myself.

cheers

Yakka

I sold my sky box on ebay before we left. The joker who bought it was meant to collect from North London - as clearly stated in my listing. It turned out after he paid via paypal that he lived in Scotland and had no intention of coming to collect it! So, the moral of the story is sell it on ebay, but do it with enough time to relist it if it goes wrong!

Aus TV is pretty bad. The ads on normal TV are frequent and long. - I don't have Foxtel, maybe I should look into getting it!

To try and put all the answers in one place:

Yes, there's HD television in Aus. Each terrestrial broadcaster has 1 HD channel and up to 3 SD channels all there free of charge. Beyond that, both Foxtel and Austar (soon to be one--Foxtel has bought out Austar) have extra channels, some HD, available via cable and satellite.

No, your Sky+ box won't work down here. The satellite services use a different encryption system so, even if you could get a decoder card (which you can't legally) the box won't be able to decode the pictures.

No, your Virgin box won't work either for the same reason.

BT Home hub MIGHT work as an ADSL modem and router. I tried my basic Belkin ADSL router and got it set up with a bit of tweaking. However, technically it's not legal to connect anything to the phone system without the proper approvals--there's an equivalent here to the Oftel triangle. It's unlikely you'll be caught--but if they do they can charge your for callouts and the like. Up to you if you want to take the risk.

Betamax tapes work fine if you have a player!

Yes, you can get Neigbours in Australia but, like any disease, a bit of care helps you avoid it.

Can i bring my BT home hub in that case?

Hi Colinmaclec, No dont bother with the BT Home hub as its locked to the a bt username,(goole search for hacks so could be changed), better off it get one from the ISP that you choose as thats sure to work.

Archived