Wanted: amazing indian take away!

Butlersofwilts

Ok, so being a typical brit, I've got an urge for a really good Indian take away (jalfrezi, rogan josh or bhuna). We got one from King of curries in belconnen and to be honest it was disgusting, I've never been so disappointed in a curry in my life!

So does anyone know of a great curryhouse in Canberra hawker/balconnen area??

Guest Ptp113
Ok, so being a typical brit, I've got an urge for a really good Indian take away (jalfrezi, rogan josh or bhuna). We got one from King of curries in belconnen and to be honest it was disgusting, I've never been so disappointed in a curry in my life!

King of curries is disgusting and the worst in the ACT region. Try the one in Narrabundah, it's home style but remember you won't get British Indian here in Oz

I have been on holiday in india 3 times and the closet I ave tasted is the curry houses in Sparkhill Birmingham where even Indian families eat, most chicken and eat are cooked on the bone and just eaten with chappaties

which one and do they open lunchtime i work close and always looking for new places to have lunch

http://www.baltitriangle.com/restaurant-list.html

The first time I went to one I was in about 1990 and the restaurant was in the front room of a terraced house, it was a bit weird.....they carried out this nan bread that was the size of a small child's quilt...it was about 4 ft long and 3 ft wide, folded it up and just left it on the table to be torn apart, you could hardly see the other people across the table.

Makes me weep seeing these little round flat pitta bread things over here, getting charged $3 dollars a pop.

Thanks for your suggestions, some of you seem to think I want a British Indian curry, not the case!

I know the style will be totally different, but wasn't expecting the crap that came from the kitchen of king of curries, I mean we collected it ourselves (ordered on site and was waiting) its about 5 mins drive home, and it was stone cold!

I've driven 15 mins from one in UK, and it's still been warm!

However, an English style Indian is not what I'm after, but something a little more authentic, with a nice kick.

However, an English style Indian is not what I'm after, but something a little more authentic, with a nice kick.

So...Indian vegetarian, or meat on the bone.....authentic Indian that hasn't been westernised? Not sure really.

Bollywood Dimensions in Mort Street isn't bad...they do pretty authentic Indo/Portugese vindaloo, not the British "just cover it in chilli powder" version.

Thanks for your suggestions, some of you seem to think I want a British Indian curry, not the case!

I know the style will be totally different, but wasn't expecting the crap that came from the kitchen of king of curries, I mean we collected it ourselves (ordered on site and was waiting) its about 5 mins drive home, and it was stone cold!

I've driven 15 mins from one in UK, and it's still been warm!

A really Indian curry is amst always on the bone, as I say the only ones I ave tasted that are close re in brum, oz curries are nothing like real inian curries as they cater for th Aussie taste which seems to be creamy and sweet.

You won't get one mate, they are not Indians as we know it! I am in Perth and they are a joke...I refuse to go an Indian Restaurant now!

Guest Ptp113
You won't get one mate, they are not Indians as we know it! I am in Perth and they are a joke...I refuse to go an Indian Restaurant now!

You're looking for british Indian which has nothing to do with Indian food.

If you find a reasonable one, you could always ask if they would cook something different. A couple of my husbands patients own an Indian restaurant/takeaway about 30 mins from here (in NSW unfortunately so no good for you). He has got to know them fairly well over the past couple of years and they now cook things for us that aren't on their menu, but that they would eat at home. I agree that many of the dishes here are very mild/sweet and almost a bit one-dimensional, without the depth of flavour. My brother in law/his family and several of my friends back in the UK are of Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani origin, so I think that I have been spoiled for that sort of food!

You're looking for british Indian which has nothing to do with Indian food.

??

Apart from just about everything for the last 300 years, right from introducing potato, tomato, cauliflower, chilli (along with the Portugese) and putting food on a plate instead of a banana leaf, then exporting it throughout the world? Indian food was very very different to what you see today, mainly veggy, lentils, cloves, and pickles to preserve rotting meat.

Due to the easy migration, the trade in chefs between India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and England is bigger than ever, the food is pretty much indistinguishable between the countries and the chefs interchange constantly between the hotel and restaurant chains, massive competition drives standards up.

The only thing you get more of in India is localised vegetarian stuff, but that doesn't seem to have travelled well to either the UK or Australia where we're predominantly meat eaters who just like a bit of bombay aloo on the side (also British).

Nearly every restaurant here has non-authentic "Indian" food like madras and tikka masala and every menu here is based on British Indian "starter, main, rice, breads, sweet", there are no authentic Indian restaurants here...it's just the taste and quality of the recipes that isn't great in SOME places, though Thom has given a decent list with a few new ones.

Guest Ptp113
??

Apart from just about everything for the last 300 years, right from introducing potato, tomato, cauliflower, chilli (along with the Portugese) and putting food on a plate instead of a banana leaf, then exporting it throughout the world? Indian food was very very different to what you see today, mainly veggy, lentils, cloves, and pickles to preserve rotting meat.

Due to the easy migration, the trade in chefs between India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and England is bigger than ever, the food is pretty much indistinguishable between the countries and the chefs interchange constantly between the hotel and restaurant chains, massive competition drives standards up.

The only thing you get more of in India is localised vegetarian stuff, but that doesn't seem to have travelled well to either the UK or Australia where we're predominantly meat eaters who just like a bit of bombay aloo on the side (also British).

Nearly every restaurant here has non-authentic "Indian" food like madras and tikka masala and every menu here is based on British Indian "starter, main, rice, breads, sweet", there are no authentic Indian restaurants here...it's just the taste and quality of the recipes that isn't great in SOME places, though Thom has given a decent list with a few new ones.

Food in India isn't like the British Indian poms are used to, and isn't tge same as Indian here

Archived