Going home in 2 weeks

Soozan

I have deleted a total of 23 posts on here and I'm disgusted how members who are returning are being treat. Please read the sticky at the top of this section, anymore and we will look at restricting access to this section

Kate

:yes:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest morgdots
OMG...... kids not settling, crying, no where to go, etc...... im having second doubts now :eek:

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the education system in the UK is bloody pants and gettin worse.......(well in inner and outer london it is) :frown:

My friend and her family moved out to perth 7 years ago..... after the first 6 months, she had her suitcase packed and wanted to come home...... spent everyday crying into her suitcase..... her husband refused to give up after only 6 months.... hid the passports and told her to give it a try....... she did just that and now 7 years later, she would never return to the UK...... she comes back every now and then to remind herself why she left ! ha ha......

but you guys know how you feel.......your heart tells you......and life is too short......so i wish all those moving back here to blighty all the very best and i hope you soon feel happy again xxx

I didn't mean my previous post to sound so negative soz, although its taking time for kids to settle I still wouldn't change it for the world,to wake up here every morning and open the curtains to the sun is priceless....there are so many positives to think about. We are in the NT so enjoying the sea is not an option really but sure we didn't do that at home anyways, on the other hand we do get beautiful creeks and waterfalls that are safe to use, fish feeding in aqua scene , up close to lots of wildlife which my kids love, national parks, markets, my daughter got to go on a 3day school camp which she loved ! In my opinion the children have more freedom in some senses, ie. at home if I didn't walk / drop my kids to school I would be frowned upon, here many cycle,go on scooters or walk in groups,which encourages great independence. I still take mine as old habits die hard and I like to get out in the morning but the point is they have the option and we are 3 km from the school which is Still a safe distance for them to go without me . We eat on the veranda every night as we can, not freezing our asses off, the markets, various cultures, sunsets, sun rises........there are so many beautiful things here. It took me 10 weeks to unpack my suit case when we got here, and at 12 weeks my watch is still on Irish time so I obviously haven't " moved on " and accepted my move yet but I really hoping I do.....I booked the flight today for my oldest son who is 17 to return home so feeling pretty low but still I would not go back, we promised the kids to visit home at Xmas and although I will love seeing my wonderful family and friends I'm dreading the weather lol it's deffo worth giving ozz a go, if nothing else it's experience and ticking a box on a list of things to do in life, and who knows, in years to come our grand kids and great grand kids may be telling how they are part Irish / English and their grandparents came over during the rescession and settled here .... Hopefully :)

I have deleted a total of 23 posts on here and I'm disgusted how members who are returning are being treat. Please read the sticky at the top of this section, anymore and we will look at restricting access to this section

Kate

:notworthy: I think thats a fantastic idea Kate, because alot of PIO members are afraid to share their feelings for this exact reason, which is a shame, as I know it really helps others that are feeling the same

I often wonder why some of theses posters are so 'concerned' that some people want to return home & take so much time to reply with such emotion??

research has shown that there is a predictable pattern re how people feel when they first move to another country. The first three months are fine as it feels like a holiday and you are busy setting things up. Between 3-6 months is the most difficult time when homesickness kicks in, you realize you are in it for the long haul, you start to crave all the things/people from back home. You'll go shopping and not recognise any of the shops/brands etc and you just feel like someone in a foreign land (which you are). This is called culture shock. Check this link here and it sounds like you are experiencing many of the symptoms. http://moving.about.com/od/internationalmoves/a/culture_shock.htm

The big thing is to get over that hump - make the effort to explore, get involved in every activity possible, say yes to everything even if you'd rather not. The longer you are here the more familiar things become. I've had four moves to new countries and the first one was the hardest as I thought other people would be making the effort to welcome me, not realising that I had to as well. I was really down at the three month mark on all the moves. Speaking to others, they have been through the same. By Karen's posts it looks like she arrived in Nov and had decided by March that it was time to go. Once your mindset gets into that frame of mind then it is hard to throw yourself into making a go of it any more and trying to assimilate. The two year mark is quoted on here to feel at home - and I don't think that is far off - certainly you should give it a year - actually experience four seasons, a whole school year, to really give it a go.

:notworthy: I think thats a fantastic idea Kate, because alot of PIO members are afraid to share their feelings for this exact reason, which is a shame, as I know it really helps others that are feeling the same

I often wonder why some of theses posters are so 'concerned' that some people want to return home & take so much time to reply with such emotion??

100 % agree with you.

Guest The Pom Queen
I can't believe it has gone this wrong. Surely there must be something else. Had you been to australia before?

The kids out there play more outside than they ever would in the uk due to the weather?

Where we were in Melbourne they didn't, up here is different

They didn't where we were...nobody was ever outside in gardens or the street

Nope not where we were either - rarely saw kids outside, they were all either inside playing with their wiis or trawling the malls when they get older.

I have seen far more kids in UK playing outside than I ever did in Australia - they just love the playgrounds here and far more kids out on their bikes pretty much all the time. We lived within a few hundred yards of two well equipped playgrounds in Aus and you could go for days and not see a kid within cooee.

Thank you, my children and I are leaving 1 week today. Still really sad that my husband has to stay but he is confident he will eturn sooner rather than later. I'm staying positive and looking forward to searching for a house to rent when I get back, it will be far easier than finding a rental here! My children are very excited about going back and making lots of plans as to what we'll do when we return. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thank you again for the well wishes.

Thank you, my children and I are leaving 1 week today. Still really sad that my husband has to stay but he is confident he will eturn sooner rather than later. I'm staying positive and looking forward to searching for a house to rent when I get back, it will be far easier than finding a rental here! My children are very excited about going back and making lots of plans as to what we'll do when we return. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thank you again for the well wishes.

The countdown is on.... I am sure that the next week will fly by, I remember our last week in Oz, chilled with friends, took loads of pics.

I am sure it will feel a little surreal when you land back in the UK, I know it did for me, but have been back a year and half now (not sure where the time went). Hopefully, your OH will be following you sooner rather than later.

Have a safe flight, and don't forget to give us an update once you are settled.

Cheers

Karen

Good luck Soozan.

We are returning home in just over 2 weeks and it will be a few months before my Husband will be able to join us in the UK also. I hope it all goes smoothly for you and your family and that you receive plenty of support when you get to the UK.

:cute:

Archived