Going home in 2 weeks

Soozan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you know in your gut feeling the path to tread.

It is hard to quantify, describe or put your finger on but unltimatly you kind of know deep down inside... sometimes you just need others to help you validate it.

My partner and I (we don't have children) went last year and lasted a year. We gave up everything, jobs, sold house etc. It has been a bit of a bumpy ride coming back (we have had to stay with family as we are looking to buy another house in the area we like) so will not settle for anything less. Finding jobs was ok actually. We both fond v good jobs within 2 months.

Sometimes I ruminate about what we have done, and having to start all over, but what I will say is that we appreciate the UK much more now. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's the little things like popping round my mates for a cuppa, English humour, the countryside etc etc... There are bits of Oz I miss but being unhappy is not one of them. Like you say life is too short. You should feel chuffed you had the guts to try it. At least you won't be one of those people standing in the pub saying 'we had the chance to do that'. You did it and it was not for you.

We can all plod on in life never trying new things, but for those of us that have the strength and courage to do so, I commend you all!!!!!!!!

This forum is weird for me as you feel an affinty with lots who post on here but you don't know them. You can take great comfort in knowing you are not the only one to go through this.

All the best to you and your family. I am sure you will breath a sigh of relief when you are all back together again. At least your are all on the same page, albeit apart for a bit. Better than all coming back together but the other one wants to stay!

Guest Kelly R

So sorry it hasn't worked out for you, your'e not the only one we have been here since last September, and although I can see what a fab place Austraila is we can't settle either Austrailia isn't for everyone, we also found that there were no kids out and about and although its an area popular with families.I wish you all the best of luck and hope your hubby is with you soon:hug:

So sorry it hasn't worked out for you, your'e not the only one we have been here since last September, and although I can see what a fab place Austraila is we can't settle either Austrailia isn't for everyone, we also found that there were no kids out and about and although its an area popular with families.I wish you all the best of luck and hope your hubby is with you soon:hug:

Thank you Kelly, I hope he is too. x

It doesn't seem to be the done thing over here. We haven't seen any children playing in the streets, my daughter loved playing out back home. I KNOW there are sports clubs over here, but my two aren't into sports they just like playing. They have plenty of friends over but it gets a bit much for me as the OH works really long hours. There are many reasons why we aren't happy here, that is just one of them.

Australia isn't for everyone.

I agree with no seeing kids playing outside but it is the same in the uk, kids do no pay out these days because of the Internet and x boxes.

Thanks guys for the very kind words of good luck. We're packing up today, hubby hasn't decided where he's going to live for the time being. A very very sad day indeed. :cry: x

Sorry to hear you are so unhappy here.

All the best hun. :hug:

Take care.

Jxxxx

Guest spoonden

Hi sorry about your upset,

We moved here in 2005 to Queensland,gave up great jobs sold houses and brought a house in sunshine coast the first day we arrived.within months we didn't like it,

After 5 years we sold up and travelled round Oz in a Caravan to see if there was somewhere else, after 6months we headed back home,

But we are now boomarang poms, we where amazed at the change in UK(Devon)so i now have a job offer and OH is in construction with all his tickets so getting a job for him will be easy, and son will follow me over in 3 months,daughters are now staying in UK.

for us going back was in someways worse than being here,just bear that in mind,we are citizens now so travelling back is not a issue.

Good luck

so sorry to hear that, we started in Melbourne and i hated it, we decided to move to QLD and i have never looked back.Friends of mine were in a similar situation to yourself , she returned with the kids a year ago , her husband missed them terribly so did not even stay as long as planned.Once they all were back in the UK they soon realized what a huge mistake they had made.So 12 months on and they are all coming back for good.Yes it is hard in the beginning , no one has had it as tough as we have but i am so glad we tried another state before we said Australia was not for us.

Could you not try that before you go back .Good luck with what ever you try to do, Just remember why you came out .I love Australia and we are all very happy , i guess its not for everyone .All the best x

Guest Daisie

So sorry it's not worked for you, I totally understand how you are feeling, it's a really difficult decision to make to return & being without your husband will be hard but, be strong, keep looking forward & I am sure all will come good in the end.

Good luck with your move.

Guest karen561

Hi my name is karen, we emigrated in nov 2011. We are finding it very hard 2 settle it is not 4 u. I know wot u mean about the kids not playing owt. I have a son ere who is 13, he gt friends dont get me wrong no 1 ever plays owt or does anything at weekend. He spends so much time on his own and with us, he is struggling big time. I feel so sorry 4 him. The schooling is way behind ere, he only in 1st yr high school and wuld b goin in 2 the 3rd in england. He woz in set 1, 4 everything. But ere they learning things he did years ago. The teachers dont bother bout anything. We are so disapointed .

The cost of living so expensive, wer working more ere than we ever done, never c each other.We gave up so much in the uk and wer very comfortable, but not ere. I not saying its a bad place, its stunning but just not 4 us, in many ways.

We are goinbac ome in a few months cany wait. Good luck with ur move x

Hi Karen,

I totally understand your feelings,we arrived here October 2010 due to OH job.I wanted to return a year ago,but were made to feel guilty about dragging son out of high School etc etc, by OHs sister who lives here in OZ who was always asking me why I wanted to go back to the UK. Now I realize that these so called family members didn't have a close family in the UK or rather loving which I have. I really regret not leaving last year as my father died this January and have missed spending time with him At last I'm going in 6 weeks time with my daughter , while my Son & husband stay until his HSC exams are finished.So if it's not for you like you said it's a wonderful country,but too expensive for us and too far away. Good luck

I think, just for one example, the lady is going on about how crap the schooling is here

When it's obvious the that her English schooling hasn't seemed to help her out very much. Would be a shame if it's a wind up.

Paul, I have to agree with Karen on this one. When I moved to Canada as a teenager, I was automatically put into the uni stream, this was because my principal noted I had come from the UK and the education system was further ahead of Canada's. I have even asked my girls as they have done schooling in both oz and Canada, and they felt math was easier in oz, but the rest on par with Canada. I think Australia and Canada place more empathasis on a well rounded student, rather than focusing on strictly academics.

Also it is how the poster feels about the education system in oz compared to the UK. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Also to make fun of her post is a bit low IMHO. We could say that about 90 percent of the young kids now who use text, if I look at any of my kids texts I can't make them out lol.

Cheers

Karen

Hi my name is karen, we emigrated in nov 2011. We are finding it very hard 2 settle it is not 4 u. I know wot u mean about the kids not playing owt. I have a son ere who is 13, he gt friends dont get me wrong no 1 ever plays owt or does anything at weekend. He spends so much time on his own and with us, he is struggling big time. I feel so sorry 4 him. The schooling is way behind ere, he only in 1st yr high school and wuld b goin in 2 the 3rd in england. He woz in set 1, 4 everything. But ere they learning things he did years ago. The teachers dont bother bout anything. We are so disapointed .

The cost of living so expensive, wer working more ere than we ever done, never c each other.We gave up so much in the uk and wer very comfortable, but not ere. I not saying its a bad place, its stunning but just not 4 us, in many ways.

Good luck with moving back Karen. Australia is not for everyone and you gave it a fair go. Moving with teenagers is hard, I know I moved to oz with two of them. Cost of living is expensive and was one of our reasons for moving back to Canada when my oh lost his job. We could not do it on my income and my girls were unhappy.

Things will fall into place for you when you move back.

Cheers

Karen

Guest morgdots
I've really tried hard to give NSW a go but it definitely isn't for me. Been here almost 8 months and I've never laughed since I got here. My 2 children (11 and 9) aren't happy either, they can't get used to not playing out and they feel quite lonely. We've had some amazing experiences but we're definitely ready to go back to the UK.

My husband went ahead and booked the flights this morning, he will have to stay here for a while - we're unsure as to when he will be able to return. Even though it was OH who booked the flights for us, will we still need signed forms for the kids to go back with me?

The kids and I are happy to be going back, but I feel so numb at the moment not knowing when I'll see my husband again. I feel so confused, anyone else felt the same as me?

Ah my dear my dear, I feel ur pain ! We moved here recently as my hubby was working in Poland and it was of paramount importance we reunite our family.Have you concidered the reality of going it alone at home ? It is deffo. Not easy and then the reality of actually moving back in with ur hubby when he moves home. I am still struggling with that 3 months on, even though we are 21 years togeather,it changes the family dynamics and I don't want to be negative but just trying to highlight what I found difficult. I in my own way am struggling here, I have no friends and the only people I generally communicate with are my hubby and4 kids. We have had to make the difficult decision to send our eldest son back home to compleat his education because as in another post we feel he system is just not up to scratch with what he is accustomed to.He is in year 11. Now it defeats the purpose of reuniting our family and I am positively heart broken :( my 14 yr. old struggles with loneliness as like others say the kids don't hang out, we have him in sport 6 days a week to try elevate this . My girls are 11 and 10 and like that kids just don't play out! However I make mine, scooters, bikes , green machines etc. are dragged out and I sit out supervising, as a result our neighbours kids have started venturing out....my baby (10), not much of a baby but struggles regularly, crying , sobbing , but I encourage her to talk on how she feels, I look at the pros and cons and at the end of the day I don't want to be in the situation I was in in Ireland, nice house,car holidays, not struggling financially but I was so so poor on other levels.....my sister once said to me why Did i winged my hubby worked away? Sure ain't I lucky the recession didn't affect us, my response was I am the only one of our family the recession affected......look who is sitting by ur side and now look who is sitting by mine......, I miss my family, my amazing network of friends I had,but in 50 years there is only one person that will still be by my side ( hopefully) lol, you sound like you are really struggling and not in a great place to make long term decisions.I view ozz as a here and now thing....people say how long will I stay and I say how long is a piece of string ? It's not a forever thing but who knows what tomorrow will hold ? The best of luck in your endeavours my dear and I'll say a wee prayer for you to have strength in your decisions.....

Guest morgdots

Karen , I agree 100% with you on the education level, it's not for our eldest son as he is too far along the Irish system to fit in in year 11 here, I'm hoping our second boy in yr. 9 will slide into the system next year for yr. 10, and at the moment like that he is repeating everything he has already done. I'm trying to take a positive attitude toward how they work things here, subject choices , trips, electives, the use of calculators, cheat sheets , google in exams, lap tops ......I could go on.i think we are so used to the staunch academic approach but being open to this system is not altogether a bad thing. It's just new and different. Best of luck with your move back o the uk , you never know.....you may decide to up and come back again and that would be ok too :)

Guest trasi

OMG...... kids not settling, crying, no where to go, etc...... im having second doubts now :eek:

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the education system in the UK is bloody pants and gettin worse.......(well in inner and outer london it is) :frown:

My friend and her family moved out to perth 7 years ago..... after the first 6 months, she had her suitcase packed and wanted to come home...... spent everyday crying into her suitcase..... her husband refused to give up after only 6 months.... hid the passports and told her to give it a try....... she did just that and now 7 years later, she would never return to the UK...... she comes back every now and then to remind herself why she left ! ha ha......

but you guys know how you feel.......your heart tells you......and life is too short......so i wish all those moving back here to blighty all the very best and i hope you soon feel happy again xxx

Ah my dear my dear, I feel ur pain ! We moved here recently as my hubby was working in Poland and it was of paramount importance we reunite our family.Have you concidered the reality of going it alone at home ? It is deffo. Not easy and then the reality of actually moving back in with ur hubby when he moves home. I am still struggling with that 3 months on, even though we are 21 years togeather,it changes the family dynamics and I don't want to be negative but just trying to highlight what I found difficult. I in my own way am struggling here, I have no friends and the only people I generally communicate with are my hubby and4 kids. We have had to make the difficult decision to send our eldest son back home to compleat his education because as in another post we feel he system is just not up to scratch with what he is accustomed to.He is in year 11. Now it defeats the purpose of reuniting our family and I am positively heart broken :( my 14 yr. old struggles with loneliness as like others say the kids don't hang out, we have him in sport 6 days a week to try elevate this . My girls are 11 and 10 and like that kids just don't play out! However I make mine, scooters, bikes , green machines etc. are dragged out and I sit out supervising, as a result our neighbours kids have started venturing out....my baby (10), not much of a baby but struggles regularly, crying , sobbing , but I encourage her to talk on how she feels, I look at the pros and cons and at the end of the day I don't want to be in the situation I was in in Ireland, nice house,car holidays, not struggling financially but I was so so poor on other levels.....my sister once said to me why Did i winged my hubby worked away? Sure ain't I lucky the recession didn't affect us, my response was I am the only one of our family the recession affected......look who is sitting by ur side and now look who is sitting by mine......, I miss my family, my amazing network of friends I had,but in 50 years there is only one person that will still be by my side ( hopefully) lol, you sound like you are really struggling and not in a great place to make long term decisions.I view ozz as a here and now thing....people say how long will I stay and I say how long is a piece of string ? It's not a forever thing but who knows what tomorrow will hold ? The best of luck in your endeavours my dear and I'll say a wee prayer for you to have strength in your decisions.....

Thank you for your advice, it's really appreciated. It was my husband who went ahead and booked the flight tickets for us. I think if we stay it would do more damage than if we didn't, if my children were settled then I really would try my hardest to give it a bash but they're not. I've made some really lovely friends over here and I regularly meet up with them for coffee. My children have made friends too, they've both just had birthdays and parties for each of them and plenty of kids came but school and the playing out things are the big issue here.

As we're in NSW we have to pay $4,500 per child per year for schooling, my 11 year old son has Moderate learning difficulties, he is borderline with his needs so is not eligible for extra help. His social skills are extremely high, but his language and academic skills are very low. On top of the school fees, then all of the `voluntary payments, books, stationary, PE lessons (I won't bore you by going on!) we also pay for speech therapy for him. It's costing us an absolute fortune. He sees his speech therapist for 1/2 hr per week - the rest of the time he has to struggle on in class. One teacher per class of 30, no classroom assistants like back home. The teacher allocates 2 students to help my son along - why are we paying fees for students to advise my son? Because my son is unable to get through all of his work at school he has to bring it home - we have a hell of a lot of homework to get through as well as speech therapy work. My daughter also comes home with a lot of work, so the hours of 3-6pm each day is spent getting through the work as well as having to cook meals.

We cannot afford the expense in this country, I have tried applying for part time work but never ever get a reply. If I applied for full time then who would be here to help my children, my husband works such long hours he couldn't help them. My son was starting to do so well back home and so was my daughter, but as someone else has said - the schooling over here is a bit behind and I feel I have let my children down.

We have parks nearby but with everything else I have to do with them, I only have time at the weekends to go and supervise. They tried playing out in the street once, my daughter loves her scooter but it's extremely hilly here by the way, and a neighbour complained! They're now afraid to play out - hope this answers your question whoever asked!

It is a worry how things will turn out once we're all back together but my husband is such a lovely man and we've always had a very strong relationship - I'm hoping the saying `absence makes the heart grow fonder' will be true because `the grass is always greener on the other side' certainly isn't for us.

Thanks again,

Soozan

Soozan,

Just wanted to wish you well on your travels on July 3rd. You gave Oz a fair go, and at the end of the day the decision to move back to the UK is yours and yours alone. We have been back in Canada a year and a half now, after just over two years in Perth. I don't regret moving to Oz, and at the end of the day I think it has enriched my life. It is always good to move somewhere else and then when you move back home, you do truly appreciate what you have at home.

It is too bad that your OH can't fly back with you, but I understand, moving twice is expensive, and it does set you back a bit, but rest assured, you will land back on your feet. It might take a couple of months or a couple of years, but you will be surrounded by family and close friends, which money can't buy.

Have a safe trip.... the 3rd will be here before you know it.

Cheers

Karen

Guest The Pom Queen

I have deleted a total of 23 posts on here and I'm disgusted how members who are returning are being treat. Please read the sticky at the top of this section, anymore and we will look at restricting access to this section

Kate

Archived