Finding Friends when Forty is SO HARD!!!

jt95045AAAA

Just moved to Sunshine Coast - Sippy Downs/Buderim and it's so hard to find friends. Feel like I'm in the reject box,lol.

I'm happily married, 43 years old and have a teenage son. I'm good company, love the gym, horse riding and coffee with girlfriends.

Finding it hard to get a social circle going and missing my friends I left in Gladstone, QLD.

Anyone want to meet for coffee? Ladies only please smile.gif

You have my sympathy, I feel quite the same, been looking for a part time casual job & I just feel as if I am on the scrap heap, thank God for PIO is all I can say at the moment.

It is not easy making friends, but I think the solution is for us to get out there, you have done the right thing by posting on here, I am sure there are plenty of nice peeps also looking for friendship.

Good luck with the meet up, if I was near you I would be joining you for coffee ........ you will find some good friends, they are out there somewhere and probably thinking exactly the same as you :hug:

I'm unfortunately quite a bit, ok a lot older than you, but live in Mountain Creek and just want to say welcome. There is a fairly regular welcome to Buderim area coffee morning arranged in Buderim in the Old Post Office. You register as newcomer to the area and get invited to the next one. We met several other newcomers there 9 years ago and stayed friends. Please PM me if you want a chat. It's a very friendly area, it just takes a bit of time to get established.

Just moved to Sunshine Coast - Sippy Downs/Buderim and it's so hard to find friends. Feel like I'm in the reject box,lol.

I'm happily married, 43 years old and have a teenage son. I'm good company, love the gym, horse riding and coffee with girlfriends.

Finding it hard to get a social circle going and missing my friends I left in Gladstone, QLD.

Remember - strangers are just the friends you haven't met yet.

I was talking about the same thing with my two friends today. Worried about not making any friends.

My friend is also emigrating, but to Canada. She has become friends online with a girl who is already there and what she did was an advert in the local paper explaining that she had recently moved from the UK and was looking to make friends. A brave move, but apparently it worked wonders for this girl and she has never looked back. I am sure there are alot of people who feel the same as you in the local area and on PIO. Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest melanieb

I know what you mean, sorry can't help as Moved to Tannum Sands in Jan. I have moved many times though so can tell you that it's generally just a time thing, once you start to get familiar with faces you see regularly it gets easier & less date like! my last stop was Melbourne where I got involved with a group of British mums & much as I'm meeting people here who are lovely, am missing the good old British humor. Just wondered if your friends up here were poms?

Its rubbishly difficult - The first six months I found exhaustingly hard - really putting myself out there - Meet ups and Coffee Mornings, felt like an Alien surrounded by the bulk of folk who, whilst nice folk, just weren't my type of biscuit LOL!! I yearned my old easy friendships!

I now have a small group of 'little gems' who are my saving grace, but still not got the Girlie lifestyle I left behind in UK :( - there is a big group of expats in Brisbane and surrounds that meet up monthly, and have boys/girls nights out, and has a variety of ages of member! I can't put the name on here (didn't know it was against the rules last time and got it deleted) but it has a page on a very, very famous social network site (sorry mods if this still breaks the rules, but I can't stand the thought of lonely folk x) Good luck xx

I've been in Sydney since Jan this year and it has been a truly lonely experience. I do have the supposed "golden ticket" to making friends - 2 kids (one in primary and the other nursery), but I work which seems to mean that I can't join in any of the social bits that normally come with having kids of these ages. I tried a PIO meet up but once again I worked which set me apart from the other ladies there. There is also the huge cultural diversity thing in Australia which means that we currently live in a suburb that has a predominantly Asian population, another hurdle to making friends.

Oh well, I'm trying to keep in mind that it is still early days and hopefully when we move to a different area next year, some of this will become a bit easier. In the meantime if anyone is in Sydney and fancies a coffee and a chat on the weekend, I'm you're lady! :wink:

I've been in Sydney since Jan this year and it has been a truly lonely experience.

I think Sydney is generally a difficult place to make friends - the same is true for Australians moving there from elsewhere also.

Just moved to Sunshine Coast - Sippy Downs/Buderim and it's so hard to find friends.

Do you have any interests/hobbies so that you can meet people in groups - gardening, quilting, lapidary, singing, belly dancing, dog walking ...whatever? I find that it the best way to find like minded people.

I know what you mean, sorry can't help as Moved to Tannum Sands in Jan. I have moved many times though so can tell you that it's generally just a time thing, once you start to get familiar with faces you see regularly it gets easier & less date like! my last stop was Melbourne where I got involved with a group of British mums & much as I'm meeting people here who are lovely, am missing the good old British humor. Just wondered if your friends up here were poms?

Hi Melanie- im a pommy girl who moved to Tannum in Feb with hubby and our 7 yr old son.....fancy meeting up ????

I've been in Sydney since Jan this year and it has been a truly lonely experience. I do have the supposed "golden ticket" to making friends - 2 kids (one in primary and the other nursery), but I work which seems to mean that I can't join in any of the social bits that normally come with having kids of these ages. I tried a PIO meet up but once again I worked which set me apart from the other ladies there. There is also the huge cultural diversity thing in Australia which means that we currently live in a suburb that has a predominantly Asian population, another hurdle to making friends.

Oh well, I'm trying to keep in mind that it is still early days and hopefully when we move to a different area next year, some of this will become a bit easier. In the meantime if anyone is in Sydney and fancies a coffee and a chat on the weekend, I'm you're lady! :wink:

I will be moving there soon prob end august so happy to meet up. :D

So easy to makeo friendsin the uk and so hard to make friends in oz....why is it

Nahhh, some countries t is easier than others , in Ireland they will chat to you as you sit at the bar, same in most arts of the uk especially up north.

maybe as a female have to agree to disagree! as i dont go hang out in bars on my own so depending on what you like to do then most countries are the same... and i have worked in ireland, south africa, india, spain and germany and i do a lot of travel for the job in uk....maybe when i go to oz tho i will start to hang out in bars.. ;)

maybe as a female have to agree to disagree! as i dont go hang out in bars on my own so depending on what you like to do then most countries are the same... and i have worked in ireland, south africa, india, spain and germany and i do a lot of travel for the job in uk....maybe when i go to oz tho i will start to hang out in bars.. ;)

I a ve found I easy to make friends anywhere especiall female friends, spose looking as handsome as me helps. Bit though.

Archived