Good or Bad

I am moving to perth from Scotland early next year ,I am determined for it to work out but after reading some of the posts on here it's giving me something to think about .....Could you give perth a mark out of ten to see what people think of it.....Cheers

For me 10.

Don't know about the slower pace of life either. Don't know your age or what you are in to but if you like sport and decent weather, there won't be enough hours in the day, especially weekends to enjoy yourself.

I'm 61, did a triathlon a couple of weekends ago, go for a ski paddle most mornings before work, every weekend both me and the wife are out doing something sporty. Maybe I'll discover the slower pace of life, that Perth is supposed to bring in 10 years or so. Till then I'll carry on doing the things I enjoy and came here for.:cool:

There are lots of negatives and some positives.

negatives are the sheer isolation, the sterile feel to the city, the pommie ghettos, the keep up with the jones attitude, some might say boring:elvis:

positives.. a few good beaches.

Good for you ,I am 40 and like sport myself ,I am working about 80 hrs a week at the moment and that is one of the reasons that I want to get away so hopefully when I arrive and get a job I won't be working they kind of hrs .

Good for you ,I am 40 and like sport myself ,I am working about 80 hrs a week at the moment and that is one of the reasons that I want to get away so hopefully when I arrive and get a job I won't be working they kind of hrs .

good luck with that.

There are lots of negatives and some positives.

negatives are the sheer isolation, the sterile feel to the city, the pommie ghettos, the keep up with the jones attitude, some might say boring:elvis:

positives.. a few good beaches.

Isn't that their fault and not the fault of the place??

Cheers, Bobj.

If it's the nature of your job to work long hours in the UK, it will probably be the same in Australia. If you're sporty then you'll probably enjoy Australia. Perth is definitely a place you love or hate, there's no halfway - hard to say which camp you'll be in till you get here!

bigemo_harabe_net-163.gif

Sorry, that statement is only worth 1 rofl.

So, where did you get that 'fact'??

Cheers, Bobj.

Come on Simmo try harder! Only two more ROFLaughings and we'll be joint top of the league!

What do you do? 80 hours sounds way too much for me. I'm in IT mind you, so 38 hrs a week. The only time I've worked long hours is when we've been away with work and had a certain time to get jobs done. We worked about 12 hour days and then got a lot of time off in lieu at the end of the job.

My son is a sparkie working FIFO and they generally do 12 hour shifts, days and nights. He does 7 days on 6 off though, so gets plenty of breaks. Money is good too.

I honestly don't know anyone who works that many hours and I have a wide range of friends. Simmo has a bit of a downer on Perth. Don't know why and I think it's a long time since he's been here.:cool:

I find they work longer hours in oz than the UK and saturday morning on building sites was just part of the week. You can play sport in either country if you want to but I found running far easier in the UK, watching sport the UK wins hands down unless you enjoy australian footy...Found the diversity of night life disappointing in Oz compared to the UK...OK for some not for others....for me it gets 3/10

Have you been back to the UK lately NB? I don't think the cost of living has fallen there either.:smile:

5 years ago now P1P. I am sure that's the case but when I look at how a lot of my expenditure has doubled in 10 years it's a downside for me. It's not a deal-breaker because as I said it's my home.

Blue Faith,if you're working 80 hrs per week,surely that's your own fault and not the countries?I don't know anyone here who works over 40 hrs a week and I know a lot of people,and I've also moved around the UK (including Scotland)quite a lot. I remember one episode of Wanted Down Under.Some welsh guy was whinging he had to work 80+ hrs a week in Wales.You are the creator of your own reality I'm afraid!

Can't rate Perth as I've never lived there but I can rate Adelaide.9/10!

My suggestion is to join our sister site, Perth Poms, I think you get a more balanced view of Perth. There are some balanced views here, but equally some who slag it off on here have never been or left quite a few years ago.

I'm really happy here in Perth, moved 8 years ago with children aged 7 and 11. I'm neither old, come from a rough area of the UK, was financially disadvantaged or love the beach (just dispelling a few of the stereotypes of people who like it here).

I've lived in Perth 3 years....I will give it a 9/10.

it loses a point for having a winter:laugh:

Its what you make it. For us, we love it. We feel we have a mini holiday every weekend:yes:

I sit at the back of the garden by the pool and think i'm on holiday, it's so relaxing.