Advice please - British employee has passed away

Freckleface

I got a phone call a couple of hours ago to let me know one of my British staff members passed away last night (suspected heart attack).

He has only been in Aust for a few months so on top of the normal distress his wife and children are having to deal with they are a long way from family and friends.

I want to do whatever I can to make this as easy as possible for them so - I want to know if there is anything that would normally be done by a company in the UK if this happened. Is there anything his wife will be expecting that we might not think of doing?

I have arranged for someone to be with her and I am flying to Melb in the morning to reassure her that we will provide some financial help and sort out the legalities of taking her husband 'home' etc (if that's what she wants to do) but I'm worried there might be something she will be expecting us to do that we won't think of and that it will make it harder for her.

I've spoken to my other British employee but he is almost catatonic (shock) so he isn't much help.

I would be grateful for any ideas (today/tonight if possible).

Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen

Oh Hun I'm so sorry to hear this both for the family and yourself. What a lovely caring employer you are. At the minute she is going to want family around her, but this isn't anything you would be expected to organise. Where is this family living, I wonder if there is a PIO member who could be there to offer help and support.

Don't know if this helps at all...but it may be at list a checklist I had to do this sort of stuff for parents given they were in the USA and received UK pensions - hardly same but!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Death/WhatToDoAfterADeath/DG_10029808

I am so sorry for you and obviously the family, I wish you my sincere condolences.

And, as M2M said you are truly amazing employer I have never encountered such kindness and generosity - the true mark of a wonderful human being.

All the best during these difficult circumstances.

Hi

I dont thinkI can be of that much help im afraid, Normally employeer's would extend condolances etc as you say the hardest thing is being here when everyone she knows is on the otherside of the world.

The only things it might be worth finding out are where she stands on anything financial e.g. super or a death during service, I know that mine pays out a lump sum to whom I nominated even though I have only been here months. Maybe you can check that out?

Also where she stands on her VISA if they are a 457 and she has come as a spouse can she stay (she may well wnat to go home of course).

She will still be in shock about the whole thing of course but they are questions that if you have answers for her as soon as she asks then it will reduce the rest of her worries!

I hope that is of some help, she must be feeling terrible, I cant even imagine how horrific that coudld be.

Oh Hun I'm so sorry to hear this both for the family and yourself. What a lovely caring employer you are. At the minute she is going to want family around her, but this isn't anything you would be expected to organise. Where is this family living, I wonder if there is a PIO member who could be there to offer help and support.

It's just a horrible, horrible situation. They were friendly with a couple (their best friends here) who are with her and I am in the process of arranging for either her sister or mum to fly out (I'll pay) so I think we have that side of things covered. I'm just worried there might be something she will be expecting me to do/arrange that I won't think of - some sort of benefit or something that is normal in the UK that we don't have etc.

Don't know if this helps at all...but it may be at list a checklist I had to do this sort of stuff for parents given they were in the USA and received UK pensions - hardly same but!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Death/WhatToDoAfterADeath/DG_10029808

I am so sorry for you and obviously the family, I wish you my sincere condolences.

And, as M2M said you are truly amazing employer I have never encountered such kindness and generosity - the true mark of a wonderful human being.

All the best during these difficult circumstances.

Thanks, I'll check it out now.

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

i think you are doing more than would normally be expected. I would say the main things are to provide her with reassurance that she is not alone and she will get all the help she needs to understand what will happen next, I presume the coroner may be involved and she may need assistance and reassurance to deal with the legal side and any paperwork that may need to be completed.

Can I just add, I admire your sincerity and compassion in this matter.. :notworthy:

Guest The Pom Queen
It's just a horrible, horrible situation. They were friendly with a couple (their best friends here) who are with her and I am in the process of arranging for either her sister or mum to fly out (I'll pay) so I think we have that side of things covered. I'm just worried there might be something she will be expecting me to do/arrange that I won't think of - some sort of benefit or something that is normal in the UK that we don't have etc.

The thing she will worry about is money, cost of shipping furniture back etc. See if this link helps but it is based on the UK side http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1073791219&type=RESOURCES

hugs

k

A great Aussie dealing with a crisis :notworthy:

The only other thing I can think of is to ring the British High Commission and ask if there is any advice they can give you: there may be some formalities that they can/need to attend to. And they can let the British Consul in Melbourne know that the widow may be needing help. They may even have a special person/unit trained for this sort of situation because they must have to deal with a number of British visitors, tourists etc. who pass away while here.

Apart from that, all I can think of is to let her know that you will be available for any questions, assistance she may need. Not that you personally may be able to deliver but you will have the resources to find your way through the maze better than she will at the moment.

I wish you and the family all the best.

A great Aussie dealing with a crisis :notworthy:

The only other thing I can think of is to ring the British High Commission and ask if there is any advice they can give you: there may be some formalities that they can/need to attend to. And they can let the British Consul in Melbourne know that the widow may be needing help. They may even have a special person/unit trained for this sort of situation because they must have to deal with a number of British visitors, tourists etc. who pass away while here.

Apart from that, all I can think of is to let her know that you will be available for any questions, assistance she may need. No that you personally may be able to deliver but you will have the resources to find your way through the maze better than she will at the moment.

I wish you and the family all the best.

Thanks Skani - calling the British High Commission is so obvious - now that you have mentioned it. I doubt that would have occurred to me.

Hi Freckle face--I hope My OH's employer will be a person like you. One feels like trusting in humanity every once in while when you see genuine kindness.

may His Soul Rest in Peace.

On the other hand things you might need to do.

1. Inform British High Commission/ local consulate - see what service/assistance they can provide:--keep wife in loop or give them her contact info.

2.Find out from your legal team / Govt--what is expected of you as an employer and what if any benefits will be due to the persons family in such a situation taking into consideration their immigration status.(e.g fro the super/pensions etc) This may take a while to find out but information is good so you are clear when you speak with the family.

3. Transferring the body back to the homeland may be a very costly affair so take advice before you commit to doing anything. Explore all options that may be available to her and help her friends with contact info of people they may be able to get in touch with to help them sort stuff.

Take care and don't worry --you are doing great.

If I were the wife of your employee I would be very worried about money and visa status so they are the first things I would check/ reassure on. You seem to be doing more than would be expected.... getting some family over is very generous. Moving forward it is probably going to be helpful just to have someone appointed from within your company as contact point/mentor to help getting through the next few days and weeks and until the family decide what to do. I for one would not have a clue where to start trying to understand what to do about wages, insurance, pension, flying the deceased home.... anyone who can hold a hand and help understand it all will certainly be a Godsend. :notworthy:

I got a phone call a couple of hours ago to let me know one of my British staff members passed away last night (suspected heart attack).

He has only been in Aust for a few months so on top of the normal distress his wife and children are having to deal with they are a long way from family and friends.

I want to do whatever I can to make this as easy as possible for them so - I want to know if there is anything that would normally be done by a company in the UK if this happened. Is there anything his wife will be expecting that we might not think of doing?

I have arranged for someone to be with her and I am flying to Melb in the morning to reassure her that we will provide some financial help and sort out the legalities of taking her husband 'home' etc (if that's what she wants to do) but I'm worried there might be something she will be expecting us to do that we won't think of and that it will make it harder for her.

I've spoken to my other British employee but he is almost catatonic (shock) so he isn't much help.

I would be grateful for any ideas (today/tonight if possible).

Thanks

Sorry to hear about this, not an easy situation all around. Get in touch with the High Commission, they will know what to do with regards to the practicalities of getting him home. I think you are doing everything you can do, admirable IMO - not everyone would be doing this. What sort of visa are they on, if they are on a temporary visa then DIAC will need to be informed at some stage but I would hold off on that for the time being.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions - several have been very helpful in their own right while others have provided leads which helped refine our thinking and planning.

After several teleconferences this afternoon I think we have a viable plan to look after my employees wife and children in both the short and medium terms.

A family member will be on their way in a few hours (thankfully the holder of a valid visa - one less thing to sort out).

Anyway - thanks heaps, I really appreciated your advice.

My husband's friend died from a heart attack while working on a contract abroad (although his family were still in the UK). Their priority was just to get him 'home' to be able to hold his funeral. His wife was not in a frame of mind to absorb of lot of the information on a practical level ( about things like death in service benefit etc). Could you ask your empoyee's wife to nominate someone (relative or family friend) who the company can pass that sort of information on to, who can keep a note of it all to pass on to her as and when she is ready. Some reassurance that there will be enough money to pay the rent and bills in the short term would be a relief. She may appreciate having a friend who can communicate with the company on her behalf, particularly once she is back in the UK (if they do go back there for the funeral).

Also, remember that she is likely to be offered a lot of help and support in the first 2 or 3 months, but 3 - 12 months may be the time when she needs extra support. This is when support can start to tail off but the reality can start to sink in. Some counselling then may be welcome or an occassional phone call.:hug:

You don't say what visa the family were on?

You are doing more than expected - I assume from the tone of the previous posts that you are expecting the widow and children to return to the UK?

Not a great task - but you might need to check with the coroner about any special preparation of the body in case the family do want to repatriate his remains.

Also - when you contact the High Commission - get them to tell you what they need in order to transport the remains - sounds callous, but get any necessary paperwork in order to ensure they don't have any issues.

Assuming they are on a 457, you are required to paid for the family airfares back - not their household effects. You sound like a very caring employer - you could assist with this and arrange it on their behalf.

Also - if they will be moving back to the UK, assuming they are renting a property - speak to their estate agent and explain the situation. Find out if there will be any lease break fees, or if there is anything that can be done to mitigate them.

Can you get authorisation to deal with a close friend / family member who can convey their needs to you in a less emotional way? The widow make feel like she is not able to make minor requests of you, where as a close friend may be able to mention such things to you.

Depending on how how emotional the widow and kids are, especially being so far from home, you could get a doctors' advice with regards to something to help them sleep etc.

You give employers a good name with the assistance you have already offered!

Guest sylcaddies

A terrible situation, especially for the family, and also for you. Don't know if this helps, but as you said the visa was 457, it's worth checking what private health cover the family hold. Ours covers me & my hubby for costs of repatriation of body should something like this happen. Hope this helps a little, and I echo other posters in saying what a kind and thoughtful employer you are.

Also, remember that she is likely to be offered a lot of help and support in the first 2 or 3 months, but 3 - 12 months may be the time when she needs extra support. This is when support can start to tail off but the reality can start to sink in. Some counselling then may be welcome or an occassional phone call.:hug:

Too (sadly) true the support & thoughts seem to dwindle

& to be honest its the whole first year that will be the hardest

Archived