Got my nurses reg from AHPRA - here's some help if you need it x

Flumper

O GOD! Flumper Ive read your thread and now I'm kicking myself that I didnt join this forum sooner (joined today!) I applied for my visa first (working holiday visa) although thats still pending after my medical, they fleeced me 355 quid for that! I printed off the AHPRA application and was reading through all of it (headache) Ive read over and over on the internet that ALL international nurses requiring registration MUST complete the academic IELTS prior to sending application regardless of if their fluent in english because they're british and have been taught in english all through ther education! So ive gone and paid for it....125 QUID! You dont think I need it?! Ive had a notary public say he'l sign all my documents for £60, is that reasonable then? I'm heading to Perth first after Asia so figured Id join Nursing Australia agency, would you say applying for a job single handedly is a better plan? x

Hiya. I applied direct. My ward manager has a PA who helped me with the process and also HR helped me with the visa stuff. I made it here in one piece and I started my job last week. To be honest, I don't like my job......it's ok but I am wondering if I went through an agency I might of landed a more suitable job. Never mind though, I'm out here and can apply for a different job. I'm still loving Oz. Good luck and have a fab holiday xxx

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rtinniswood

Hi, my name is Rachael Tinniswood and I'm a journalist writing an article for a weekly UK women's glossy mag about nurses working in Oz. If you're under 35 and interested, please could you email me with a pic and details asap of why you decided to move to Oz and how it has helped you advance your career at rtinniswood@gmail.com?

Thanks

Rachael

Just starting the process of getting together all the necessary documentation to apply to AHPRA for registration :arghh:

Have contacted my uni to obtain a transcript and have just had an e-mail back saying that they can provide this for me - I just have to send them £75 for the privilege :cry:

Also trying to contact a former employer to get a statement of service - my former boss has now retired and I'm finding it hard to get in conatct with someone else who remembers me from that time, they're always out of the office.

Getting all this stuff together is so frustrating - never mind - onwards and upwards as they say :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

OMG :(:(:( Just contacted my secondary school to get a letter to say i was taught and assessed in english and they said they wont do it because i studied there 10 years ago and they only hold records for the past 5 years!!! I said ive got proof i went to that school i can bring in my gcse certificates etc and she said no they wont write the letter!!

What do i do now! :(

OMG :(:(:( Just contacted my secondary school to get a letter to say i was taught and assessed in english and they said they wont do it because i studied there 10 years ago and they only hold records for the past 5 years!!! I said ive got proof i went to that school i can bring in my gcse certificates etc and she said no they wont write the letter!!

Hi pink, do your GSCE certificates show your English exam results? If so, maybe just send a copy of them? I sent my high school exam results as proof and they were accepted :-)

What a total nightmare that was! I applied in March and it has been driving me mental ever since!!! :arghh:I finally got my registration on friday! :biggrin:I'm so happy as I love nursing and Australia. I'm just waiting for my visa now. Hope I get it as I'm already in Oz. :twitcy:

My advice would be....apply asap because it takes 6 months if you're lucky, well mine took a tad longer as my 1st application was never received. Also with your application if you are English you don't need to do the ielts exam, you just need a letter from your secondary school (on headed paper, dated and signed) stating that you were taught and assessed in English. Also your uni transcript must include how many hours in practice and theory you did in surgical, medical, community, mental health, elderly, child and midwifery if you did those. I'm an adult nurse so I didn't practice midwifery and child, just so you don't stress and think you need to. If you have been offered a job before getting your Australian nurses reg (like me), get a letter from your future employer with the job offer and start date and send to AHPRA (will need to be the orginal not a photocopy...you will also need a copy for your visa so either get 2 from your empolyers or visit AHPRA with your copy if you are already in Oz-hope that makes sense), this will prioritise your application. If it is prioritized it only takes 4 to 6 weeks! (with I knew this!) Make sure you get a notary to sign all the photocopies of your certificates, passports ect. Telephone your application assessor on a regular basis if you don't hear anything. I hope that will help someone.

If you are looking for a job, you don't have to apply through an agency. If you apply yourself, you don't need a medical. I applied directly to the hospital. Here is a link if you fancy NSW. I was in London at the time of applying and had an interview over the phone at 4am one morning. Phone interviews are much easier as you can do notes and be prepared. I had policies and handy hints written and stuck all over my wall. Anyway I'm waffling, here is the link:

http://www7.health.nsw.gov.au/healthjobs/Default.cfm?ID=1233

Here are the payscales too. Happy days!

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/nursing/employment/nurse_award_wage_rates_11.asp

Good luck :smile:

Emma xxx

## please note, you don't need a medical for AHPRA. You will need one at a later date for the visa process. ##

I was wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on applying for nursing positions in Queensland near Woorim. I have approached a National Nursing Agency, who have told me to get back in touch once I have recieved my nursing registration from Ahphra. Can I apply for employment prior to receiving my registration? I would like to think I can gain employment prior to leaving the UK. My Migration Officer also said that my Partner Visa will be more likely granted quicker or on time if I can gain employment. Any thoughts??? I have post reg experience of nearly 4 years, Degree qualified.

Statutory declaration that you attended that school, studied and was assessed in English. Others have done it for schools that have since closed. :smile:

Thank you very much for your help GilraenH & Pamdav, Im thinking of sending an email to the school one last time with a draft letter and proof that i attended the school, just wondering if anyone has a letter or is it just a few lines long saying something like:

I can confirm that XXXX attended XXXX School, her 5 years of secondary school education was taught and assessed in English. She also successfully passed her GCSE English Language and Literature exams.

(Im rubbish at writing letters!)

Many thanks for your help

x

• 3 weeks later...

update.....

I hate my job. :-( It was meant to be a trauma/orthopaedic ward....it's not. It is full of old dears having hip and knee replacements. There's no team work, and you're buggered if you have a very sick patients. The good thing is that the patients are lovely but the bad thing is.....it is very repetitive and far too much paper work. I am transferring to ED as I think my skills are more suited there. My boss wasn't happy but she was very nice and supportive about it. I am sponsored by the state so it was pretty straight forward. Australia is great but I'm finding it hard not living in a cosmo city.....so I am also applying for a job in the city. Feeling quite homesick but I'm not missing the place, just the people.

Good luck everyone xxx

• 1 month later...
Guest Jenna N

Hi evryone.

I've just joined the forum and am in need of some advice. This APHRA form is so complicated!!! Section G: Agent authorisation, do I need to fill this in?

Thanks

Jenna

Hi evryone.

I've just joined the forum and am in need of some advice. This APHRA form is so complicated!!! Section G: Agent authorisation, do I need to fill this in?

Thanks

Jenna

Hi Jenna Welcome to PIO,

you only use this if you are using an agent to help you. Most of us completed the form by ourselves. Where are you planning to go to? What sort of nursing do you do? :biggrin:

• 3 months later...
What a total nightmare that was! I applied in March and it has been driving me mental ever since!!! :arghh:I finally got my registration on friday! :biggrin:I'm so happy as I love nursing and Australia. I'm just waiting for my visa now. Hope I get it as I'm already in Oz. :twitcy:

My advice would be....apply asap because it takes 6 months if you're lucky, well mine took a tad longer as my 1st application was never received. Also with your application if you are English you don't need to do the ielts exam, you just need a letter from your secondary school (on headed paper, dated and signed) stating that you were taught and assessed in English. Also your uni transcript must include how many hours in practice and theory you did in surgical, medical, community, mental health, elderly, child and midwifery if you did those. I'm an adult nurse so I didn't practice midwifery and child, just so you don't stress and think you need to. If you have been offered a job before getting your Australian nurses reg (like me), get a letter from your future employer with the job offer and start date and send to AHPRA (will need to be the orginal not a photocopy...you will also need a copy for your visa so either get 2 from your empolyers or visit AHPRA with your copy if you are already in Oz-hope that makes sense), this will prioritise your application. If it is prioritized it only takes 4 to 6 weeks! (with I knew this!) Make sure you get a notary to sign all the photocopies of your certificates, passports ect. Telephone your application assessor on a regular basis if you don't hear anything. I hope that will help someone.

If you are looking for a job, you don't have to apply through an agency. If you apply yourself, you don't need a medical. I applied directly to the hospital. Here is a link if you fancy NSW. I was in London at the time of applying and had an interview over the phone at 4am one morning. Phone interviews are much easier as you can do notes and be prepared. I had policies and handy hints written and stuck all over my wall. Anyway I'm waffling, here is the link:

http://www7.health.nsw.gov.au/healthjobs/Default.cfm?ID=1233

Here are the payscales too. Happy days!

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/nursing/employment/nurse_award_wage_rates_11.asp

Good luck :smile:

Emma xxx

## please note, you don't need a medical for AHPRA. You will need one at a later date for the visa process. ##

hi Emma and all others,

As I have my relatives living in NSW - is it a good idea to send my registration docs to them and they can submitt all in person? As from what people saying all the docs can get lost etc We going to get all docs certified today from our solicitor...

Had my interview from the Oz hospital on 27th sept 2012... they have told me that they have sent ref request - waiting on the ref from my uk role - hopfully they should have got it by now as I have been told in uk that its done. Then I am hoping to ask them whether they have offered me the role...in order to get the confirmation letter etc..as suggested here - is that a good idea or shall I just wait...

Any advice would be much appreciated...ta

Hi, my wife's application took 10 weeks (applied in June and received in Septemeber 11) to get processed however it was delayed by 4 weeks because AHPRA lost her one document so she had to request her employer to reissue. She didn't use agency however I helped her in the application process. She has been offered a job in ICU at Sydney hospital with PR sponsorship and hospital has applied for nomination. She has been interviewed in Oct 11 but just received job offer in the first week of March. Again delay from the hospital side. So I hope we should have no more delays now as we have had enough...fingers crossed.

....Mansawant

Hi Mansawant,

At what point Sydney hospital confirmed job offer? I have just had an interview on 27th Sept and it went well. They waiting for ref of my seniors in uk role. Do they need anything else to confirm whether I have got the role or not? I am in the process of registering with Aphra etc they know that. is it worth asking...

Hi all,

I applied to AHPRA in Perth, reg process took 4 weeks to come back. Worst part was collecting all the info and getting it exactly how they want it! I had all my documents certified by a Justice of the Peace at my local sheriff court, this was done for free as "they are there to serve the public" is what i was told.

I now have a job in Sydney, my visa is being processed and I have my medical next week. A medical is required for 457 if you will be working in healthcare/schools etc.

Hope this is of some use to folks on here. If I can help in any way just let me know.

And Good Luck

c x

Archived