Got my nurses reg from AHPRA - here's some help if you need it x

Flumper

What a total nightmare that was! I applied in March and it has been driving me mental ever since!!! :arghh:I finally got my registration on friday! :biggrin:I'm so happy as I love nursing and Australia. I'm just waiting for my visa now. Hope I get it as I'm already in Oz. :twitcy:

My advice would be....apply asap because it takes 6 months if you're lucky, well mine took a tad longer as my 1st application was never received. Also with your application if you are English you don't need to do the ielts exam, you just need a letter from your secondary school (on headed paper, dated and signed) stating that you were taught and assessed in English. Also your uni transcript must include how many hours in practice and theory you did in surgical, medical, community, mental health, elderly, child and midwifery if you did those. I'm an adult nurse so I didn't practice midwifery and child, just so you don't stress and think you need to. If you have been offered a job before getting your Australian nurses reg (like me), get a letter from your future employer with the job offer and start date and send to AHPRA (will need to be the orginal not a photocopy...you will also need a copy for your visa so either get 2 from your empolyers or visit AHPRA with your copy if you are already in Oz-hope that makes sense), this will prioritise your application. If it is prioritized it only takes 4 to 6 weeks! (with I knew this!) Make sure you get a notary to sign all the photocopies of your certificates, passports ect. Telephone your application assessor on a regular basis if you don't hear anything. I hope that will help someone.

If you are looking for a job, you don't have to apply through an agency. If you apply yourself, you don't need a medical. I applied directly to the hospital. Here is a link if you fancy NSW. I was in London at the time of applying and had an interview over the phone at 4am one morning. Phone interviews are much easier as you can do notes and be prepared. I had policies and handy hints written and stuck all over my wall. Anyway I'm waffling, here is the link:

http://www7.health.nsw.gov.au/healthjobs/Default.cfm?ID=1233

Here are the payscales too. Happy days!

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/nursing/employment/nurse_award_wage_rates_11.asp

Good luck :smile:

Emma xxx

## please note, you don't need a medical for AHPRA. You will need one at a later date for the visa process. ##

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Joanne1983

Hey, congrats on you getting sorted with your nurses reg :) I have just started filling in my forms....what a headache! Going to contact my secondary school tomorrow to try and sort out my english confirmation letter. I have my uni transcript showing my nursing qualification but it doesnt show the hours in practice i worked! So will have to get in touch with uni and sort that out too. Can i ask, do i need all of my documents verified by a solicitor? If you did this, was it expensive? xx

Guest Betty Boop

Hi, your message was really interesting. I'm a recovery nurse with 13 yrs experience and starting to think seriously about a move to oz with my hubby and two kids. I only have 55 points for the 175 visa so was worried about the ilets test. From what you have put in your message, would i need to do this test if applying for my nursing registration ? It's quite confusing. How did you know what to do and when ? Good luck to you and your move. What job are going to to and where ? x

I was very lucky as one of the sisters on my ward (when I was back in the UK) got her husband to sign all my documents for free, he works at the courts in London. I am a cheapskate scouser after all. :-D I have heard that you can get the Australian embassy to sign your stuff which is cheaper than a reg notary. If you have to get a solicitor, make sure they are a reg notary. It cost my friend just over 100 pounds. You'll need all your certs and documents signed for your AHPRA nurses reg and the visa.

I applied for my job directly to the hospital at Gosford (just over an hour away from Sydney). It's on a orthopedic surgical ward. My job back home was on a trauma ward so it's quite similar. They have been great in Gosford, I had to sort my nursing reg with AHPRA and they have sorted all the visa stuff. They gave me all the forms to fill in though of course (yup more forms).....I will be on a 457 visa but in some hospitals after a few months (probationary period) you can apply for PR. You can bring your family over on the 457....partner and kids, Gosford would of sorted this too but lucky for them I'm a singleton. For the 457 you don't need a medical or the dreaded IELTS, you may need them down the line though if you apply for PR. I guess I have done it the easy way and I'm lucky my new work have been great.

Good luck to you all. x

Guest aoneill

Hi Flumper,

I am a reg nurse from Belfast, also trying to gain aussie reg. I orginally applied early Sep 2011, then heard nothing not even an email to state application was received. I then after 16 weeks received an email from Ahpra saying oh sorry we lost all documents, So once again reapplied early Jan and still nothing. I email them constantly, however all they say is due to the large number of people applying it could be a no of months. They are right and quick to take reg fee's thou... I am have telephone interview next thur @ 9.40pm for post in Wollongong. So nervous, have been told to sell myself, just the thought of it. I am married with 2 kids aged 9 and 6 yrs. We r going to live with my aunt/uncle in western sydney and i'll travel. it's a foot in the door. Do i need medicals for me and kids cause they are going to school over there? Just sooooooo fed up waiting on reg. it's very dishearting. that's my little rant over for a while. think i'll just continue to send as many emails and maybe they either get sick of hearing from me or some nice person might take pity.. i'll keep you posted about interview and hopefully i'll be successful.

oh Flumper u have made the process sound so easy lol. how did the whole process take for you like times for nurse reg,getting a job and visa.... i got this IELTS hurdle to overcome first and am already getting disheartened before i get to the dreaded AHPRA....

@aoneill Good Luck with the job interview...if u get the job get them to write you a later with the job offer and u can send that to AHPRA then hound them with phone calls that you got a job offer and need the reg asap... i heard it works a treat....

someone was asking about the notary service prices.... check out http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/find-a-notary and you can find your nearest notary solicitors and you can contact them directly for the prices (my local on charged £120 per 3 documents) if you are in London its easier and cheaper to go to the Oz embassy (did 9 documents for £90)

Good Luck everyone.

Hi Flumper,

I am a reg nurse from Belfast, also trying to gain aussie reg. I orginally applied early Sep 2011, then heard nothing not even an email to state application was received. I then after 16 weeks received an email from Ahpra saying oh sorry we lost all documents, So once again reapplied early Jan and still nothing. I email them constantly, however all they say is due to the large number of people applying it could be a no of months. They are right and quick to take reg fee's thou... I am have telephone interview next thur @ 9.40pm for post in Wollongong. So nervous, have been told to sell myself, just the thought of it. I am married with 2 kids aged 9 and 6 yrs. We r going to live with my aunt/uncle in western sydney and i'll travel. it's a foot in the door. Do i need medicals for me and kids cause they are going to school over there? Just sooooooo fed up waiting on reg. it's very dishearting. that's my little rant over for a while. think i'll just continue to send as many emails and maybe they either get sick of hearing from me or some nice person might take pity.. i'll keep you posted about interview and hopefully i'll be successful.

Seriously......

I guess you are applying in NSW? I read a lot of posts saying that Sydney office has huge backlog of applicants :(. I am getting ready to send the papers but I am probably going to send it to Adelaide ( shouldn`t be that busy - not sure maybe it`s just wishful thinking :( ) and present for my registration elsewhere - we are considering Queensland and NSW.

Good luck to you, they should really prioritize your application since they lost it the first time !!!!!!!

Good luck with your interview! :-)

I think I must of applied for my job in feb last year and my interview was a month later. It's the sodding nurses reg which takes forever. I decided to hop on a plane at the end of Oct to sort it ( I don't advise this as I came out on a holiday visa and then had to pay for another 3 month tourist visa. Risky to say the least....I have been a total stresshead). My folks live here so I thought sod it. Got my reg last week.....my 457 visa is now getting processed. HR in my work advised it is only taking 10 days for that.....so I am expecting/hoping to to start my job next week.

Hold on in there. You'll all get there. Good luck to everyone applying. xxx

How did you get away with no IELTS? My wife has been stalling for ages over doing the IELTS, she has no confidence in doing it although she was born brought up and taught in english. She has booked her IELTS for 18th Feb, she's travelling all the way to Norwich to do it (from Oban!). If there is a way of getting your AHPRA reg without doing IELTS please let us know, it says on the form that you need it?

Hi Charliemac,

your wife doesn`t need to do the IELTS for the AHPRA registration, statement that she was tought in English is enough. But you get extra points for IELTS when you apply for a visa ( don`t know if that applies to all visa, I only researched 175 and 176).

Good luck, she should be fine as a native speaker of the language.

If you decide to do the ANMC assessment first then yes she needs IELTS. However if she gets her registration in Australia from the APHRA first than she can apply for modified assessment and that doesn`t include IELTS. I wanted to do that but got couple of replies that they want the actual registration , NOT the Letter of eligibility to registrate, which means you have to be physically present in AUs to get the registration:frown:

Guest claire and paul

Hi Emma, thanks for this info (reallly helpfull), I've just read the paperwork, its going to be a nightmare but hopefully easier now!! We are planning a move to Adelaide end of this year or early 2013, my husband qualifies as a learning disability nurse in september and we hope to get his registration started before we make the move....hope it all goes well for you x Claire

Good luck Claire and everyone else! :-) Yay for escaping the NHS hey!

You don't need ANMC for NSW...... It does say they waiver the assessment for UK nurses, so I'm not sure if you'd need this anyway. My work or AHPRA have never mentioned it.

Ordered my uniforms today......they're gross and I had to pay for the buggers! I'm sure I can claim it back with the tax rebate everyone does every year here though.

Emma x

Good luck Claire and everyone else! :-) Yay for escaping the NHS hey!

You don't need ANMC for NSW...... It does say they waiver the assessment for UK nurses, so I'm not sure if you'd need this anyway. My work or AHPRA have never mentioned it.

Ordered my uniforms today......they're gross and I had to pay for the buggers! I'm sure I can claim it back with the tax rebate everyone does every year here though.

Emma x

Hi Emma, did I read that right? ANMC is not needed for NSW?? Does this apply to sponsorship visas like 121 or just 457 temp visas?

Hie Charlimac

if your wife was educated in or is a citizen of the mentioned countries on the AHPRA application form she dont have to sit the IELTS if she can get a latter from her high school to confirm that she was there for more than 5yrs and was taught and assessed in English. However if she is NOT a citizen of those countries or wanting to apply for Permanent Residence then she will have to sit the IELTS.

ANMC is the skills assessment board for nurses which is appointed by the DIAC and nurses needs skills assessment done if applying for PR.

Hope this helps...

Archived