How do you buy UK flights from Australia

blobby1000

I remembered I had a round the world ticket in 2005. Costed me £1000 back then. I have a year to use it. All I need to do was ring the appropriate airline when I decided to move on from my travel. New zealand airline did charge me a small fee, but not the others.

So can we do a similar thing with a return ticket? London-oz- then book the return date a year on and change as require?

And do the same on the way back to oz.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Pom Queen
The only way I can think of to game the system is if you travel to the UK more than once a year. Then you can buy a single to London and then get returns from London to Australia. But unless you know your dates firmly in advance, you'd end up getting full fare Y which would defeat the object of getting cheap tickets.

FWIW, the cheapest Melbourne to London return fares that I am finding now are with Continental via Los Angeles.

What prices are continental coming back with, I wonder if you can have a stop off in LA

Guest guest17301

Air Asia havent stopped flying to the UK......China Southern, I'll let you know...my in laws fly in with them next weekend

Air Asia are cancelling their future flights to London and Paris:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16526235

A total shame as a few days later they were making noises about starting operations from Sydney! We're looking to fly with Air China to London in June, returning in July. Costs about $1550 return including a night stopover in Shanghai. The more popular airlines were around $2200 :-S

Really interested in this thread as we have family in Oz and if we can book tickets for them from UK that would be great, we have tried in the past and we have always been told that you cannot pay UK prices.....I really hope for the OP's sake though that the tickets really are Perth London Perth and not London Perth London.....!!!

Just so I am understanding this correctly;

- I have a UK bank account

- Family in the UK who I'm happy to give the details to

- They can book flights from Melb - Ncl in my name an use my bank acc****

I can't do this because any flight out of Aus has to be booked in Aus and paid for at the AusD rate?

Guest guest17301

I reckon when you buy a return ticket...what determines the price is country of origin ie country you fly from...if it were possible we'd know it by now. Get used to the 2k ticket back to UK peeps!

Couldn't you buy single tickets from Oz to UK tickets paying the $ rate and then buy your UK to Oz single tickets using your UK bank account ? Then you'd only be paying the rip-off price one way ? Maybe the premium for single tickets outweighs the benefit - has anyone priced this scenario ?

Just a thought.:unsure:

Right been on phone to travel agents they have made a mistake didnt go into it with them as I was getting annoyed they tried to hit me with an extra £500 to cut a long story short we've split it 50/50 as a gesture from them so the stupid flight has cost £985 but on the bright side still a bit cheaper than normal.

Lesson learned you cannot cheat the system apologies for any false hopes!

Loving Fremantle!

Guest The Pom Queen
Right been on phone to travel agents they have made a mistake didnt go into it with them as I was getting annoyed they tried to hit me with an extra £500 to cut a long story short we've split it 50/50 as a gesture from them so the stupid flight has cost £985 but on the bright side still a bit cheaper than normal.

Thank goodness you found out now and not later

Just so I am understanding this correctly;

- I have a UK bank account

- Family in the UK who I'm happy to give the details to

- They can book flights from Melb - Ncl in my name an use my bank acc****

I can't do this because any flight out of Aus has to be booked in Aus and paid for at the AusD rate?

Basically yes. Return flights out of Australia are charged at Australian rates not UK ones. Your family can certainly book them for you but you will pay the same as if you bought them in Australia.

Loving Fremantle!

Ouch! as M2M said, better you find out now than later. Sorry to have burst your bubble there! At least you got something out of them for their mistake!

Guest GeorgeD

I looked at flights for my Dad in June and it would've been around GBP 800 return for him from Glasgow/Brisbane/Glasgow. On the same dates doing the opposite journey with the same airline it would've been $2250.

Out of interest I looked at TWO return flights from the UK to Brisbane...meaning 4 flights in total, so you could actually do the BNE/GLA/BNE journey as part of it on the same dates as buying the flights in Oz. (If that makes sense!)

For example:

Journey 1

Leave Glasgow on 1st June, arrive BNE on 3rd June,

Leave BNE 4th June, arrive Glasgow 5th June is one return journey

Journey 2

Leave Glasgow on 21st June, arrive BNE on 23rd June

Leave BNE 24th June, arrive Glasgow 25th June

Somewhere in there in bold is a journey to leave BNE on 4th June and return from Glasgow on 21st June. The cost after converting from GBP to AUS$ was only $100 more, $2250 for that one journey buying in AUS, and $2350 for both returns when buying (and originating both) in the UK.

It's not just Emirates, the other airlines do it too. Just another one way Australian consumers get pumped basically.

i wonder if you could play the system by flying a low cost airline to another country from oz, to connect to a ticket you had previously booked. possibly with a different airline.

as i type this i find myself thinking, if you could everyone would, so i think i already have my answer!

Guest guest57545

Just done some maths:

A 1000GBP return flight from London to Sydney/Melbourne etc and back was, in my last UK job 3.5% of my years take home pay

A $2500 return flight from Sydney to London and back is around 3.7% of my years take home pay here - basically the same

its only appearing a rip off because all those living here would rather pay the 1000GBP in dollars rather than the $2500 dollars, why would the airline want to let us do that? there staff in OZ dont all get a pay cut because the pound is weak etc

I think flights here are quite reasonable TBH we fly to tassie regularly for $150-$200 return thats chickenfeed for a flight the same length as london to Madrid

I looked at flights for my Dad in June and it would've been around GBP 800 return for him from Glasgow/Brisbane/Glasgow. On the same dates doing the opposite journey with the same airline it would've been $2250.

Out of interest I looked at TWO return flights from the UK to Brisbane...meaning 4 flights in total, so you could actually do the BNE/GLA/BNE journey as part of it on the same dates as buying the flights in Oz. (If that makes sense!)

For example:

Journey 1

Journey 2

Somewhere in there in bold is a journey to leave BNE on 4th June and return from Glasgow on 21st June. The cost after converting from GBP to AUS$ was only $100 more, $2250 for that one journey buying in AUS, and $2350 for both returns when buying (and originating both) in the UK.

It's not just Emirates, the other airlines do it too. Just another one way Australian consumers get pumped basically.

This will not work. If you miss a sector on a multi-sector ticket the airline will cancel all remaining sectors on your ticket. Hence the no-show at Glasgow will cancel the sector out of Brisbane.

i wonder if you could play the system by flying a low cost airline to another country from oz, to connect to a ticket you had previously booked. possibly with a different airline.

as i type this i find myself thinking, if you could everyone would, so i think i already have my answer!

You can do this but other countries are far away and even cheap tickets from Australia to overseas destinations are expensive. You would be unlikely to save much, if anything.

For example:

Journey 1

Journey 2

I think there might be an issue if you are not present on the first leg of a return ticket (i.e. in the above example the Glasgow Brisbane 1st June bit) then you are somehow automatically cancelled off the return leg (i.e. the BNE/GLA 4th June bit)...on the way back you'd be fine as you'd be travelling on the first leg, then just throw away the Brisbane Glasgow bit, but if you'd been cancelled off the Brisbane-Glasgow flight out, you wouldn't be there anyway, so you couldn't 'come back'... think I'm confusing even myself now!

D'Oh - sorry - just seen PP posted more or less the same (but much better explained) while I was typing!

Just done some maths:

A 1000GBP return flight from London to Sydney/Melbourne etc and back was, in my last UK job 3.5% of my years take home pay

A $2500 return flight from Sydney to London and back is around 3.7% of my years take home pay here - basically the same

its only appearing a rip off because all those living here would rather pay the 1000GBP in dollars rather than the $2500 dollars, why would the airline want to let us do that? there staff in OZ dont all get a pay cut because the pound is weak etc

I think flights here are quite reasonable TBH we fly to tassie regularly for $150-$200 return thats chickenfeed for a flight the same length as london to Madrid

London to Madrid is cheaper than that if you book more than a week or two in advance...

Guest GeorgeD
I think there might be an issue if you are not present on the first leg of a return ticket (i.e. in the above example the Glasgow Brisbane 1st June bit) then you are somehow automatically cancelled off the return leg (i.e. the BNE/GLA 4th June bit)...on the way back you'd be fine as you'd be travelling on the first leg, then just throw away the Brisbane Glasgow bit, but if you'd been cancelled off the Brisbane-Glasgow flight out, you wouldn't be there anyway, so you couldn't 'come back'... think I'm confusing even myself now!

D'Oh - sorry - just seen PP posted more or less the same (but much better explained) while I was typing!

True, you might not actually be able to do the journey in the middle on it's own. It doesn't however, illustrate that you can get pretty much double the number of miles in the air from the same airline on the same route if you buy it and originate your flight in the UK rather than Australia.

Guest GeorgeD
Just done some maths:

I get paid less in Australia than I did in the UK doing a similar job. Does that mean an airline will charge you and me different prices because we earn different amounts? Why do they even quote a dollar price when in fact they would make international comparisons easier if they quoted a percentage of a person's salary?

They're using the same staff and resources both in the air and on the ground, so why does the absolute cost change so wildly? They don't pay their staff more if the flight from Brisbane to Dubai is full of Australia people on the first leg of their journey compared to it being full of Brits on their return flight to the Uk, so the cost of putting the plane in the air is the same irrespective.

What about the poor buggers who aren't Australian and have to book a flight from Australia? If youa re from the Uk, earn money in the UK, but booka return flight from AUS to the UK and back, you still need to pay the AUS prices. The same goes vice versa, If you are Australian, work in Australia but want to book a return from UK/AUS/UK then you are fortunate enough to pay the UK price.

I think there are only two possible reasons for the shocking price difference: 1) Taxes on airline ticket sales. Not sure what the tax is, but can't imagine it means a flight from AUS to the UK is double the price of the opposite direction; 2) The airlines are profiteering because Australians are used to being paying over the odds for goods and services when most of the rest of the world pays less.

Archived