How do you buy UK flights from Australia

blobby1000

Just looked at Scoot. Surely you can fly from Australia with Scoot to Singapore, then buy your Singapore to London airfare with Singapore airlines not originating in Australia. For 2 adults and 1 child: Gold Coast to Singapore Au$rtn $1100 and Sin to Lon Au$4200. That's much cheaper than a fare straight through- no catch!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest famousfive

We have booked both our flights seperately...sydney to singapore with one airline and then singapore onwards with another......after finding the best deal I called an agent,told them which flights I wanted to book and it ended up being $1,400 or so cheaper for 5..we always do this for long haul journeys and always save a packet.

The catch is no through ticketing. If the Scoot flight is delayed or cancelled then your SQ flight is in peril. And since Scoot only have a couple of planes flying many routes infrequently there will be irrops.

Just looked at Scoot. Surely you can fly from Australia with Scoot to Singapore, then buy your Singapore to London airfare with Singapore airlines not originating in Australia. For 2 adults and 1 child: Gold Coast to Singapore Au$rtn $1100 and Sin to Lon Au$4200. That's much cheaper than a fare straight through- no catch!

Guest famousfive

Just to add....my above booking scenario is always based on an overnight stay to avoid any problems with connections as illustrated by the above post....I would not chance it otherwise.

As someone has mentioned before it is not a rip off - it is the exchange rate that is screwing this up. The price from Oz to Uk is what I paid 6 or 7 years ago so hasn't really changed - only the exchange rate has changed. At one time when the exchange rate was the other way it was way more expensive to buy a ticket UK to Oz.

That doesn't wash though, does it? It costs Qantas X to fly an aircraft from London to Australia regardless of exchange rate - some of their cost base will be in Aussie dollars, most of it won't be, all of it wil be hedged in any case

If the plane is full of people who have paid the UK price in sterling, their revenue against that relatively fixed cost of X will be lower - substantially - than those who have paid the Aussie price. The effect of the exchange rate *should* - other things being equal - mean that your dollar price for the ticket should fall, if your dollars are relatively worth more.

Of course, pricing isn't actually about what a business's costs are, not directly; they are more about what the market will bear. If prices of flights from Australia are overpriced compared to what they cost originating from elsewhere, then that must be because of a lack of capacity in the market that enables airlines to essentially overcharge you for the same service. So the answer is to free up more capacity and to allow more competition

Of course, the alternative way of viewing this is to suggest that flights originating in the UK are underpriced. Given the weakness of the pound, general inflation over the years and the severely increased costs on all airlines over the past 10 years due to fuel price increases, one would have to suggest this probably is the case. There's no sensible reason flights to Aus from the UK should cost more or less the same in pound terms as they did 10 years ago, and yet they do

• 2 weeks later...

Some very flawed arguments here.

At the end of the day - it probably comes down to competition. The UK is one of the cheapest places in the world to travel from, despite the weak pound, high taxes and fuel prices.

Why? Probably because they fill up their planes with europeans (much bigger target market) at what are probably break even prices or even below, but guaranteed income -the rest of you are where they make their profit.

Its absolutely absurd I know, but that's economics, supply - demand & elasticity.

By the way it has nothing to do with how much you earn. Its the same scenaria flying out of Indonesia to UK return , compared to the same route but in reverse. And they earn a pittance compared to europeans or aussies.

Guest flying framer
and then picked up an Easyjet flight Amsterdam to Melbourne.

Total cost return $1400 at the end of May.

EASYJET - are you sure ? To my knowledge they dont fly further than the Mediterranean sea resorts.

Check your ticket ! Maybe its to Malpensa - instead of Melbourne

Just wanted to let everyone know got a bargain flight back to uk>

I looked at china airlines from Melbourne to Amsterdam and then picked up an Easyjet flight Amsterdam to Melbourne.

Total cost return $1400 at the end of May.

Do you mean Amsterdam to London or Manchester? That would work :)

No offence but China airlines are cheap for a reason probably. Many of the Chinese airlines rate poorly for customer service, inflight food and entertainment, seating comfort, changing flights at short notice and long delays and so on. I've flown with numerous airlines over the years and when flying long haul always come back to a few big ones. EasyJet are cheap as chips but their service and so on is bad. I fly with them for short hops to parts of Europe but if I have to spend longer than a few hours on a plane, I part with a bit more cash upfront and fly a big airline. Often it ends up being not that much more once you factor in all the extras Easy Jet charge.

No offence but China airlines are cheap for a reason probably. Many of the Chinese airlines rate poorly for customer service, inflight food and entertainment, seating comfort, changing flights at short notice and long delays and so on.

I've just returned from China and had one flight with Dragon Air and one with China Eastern. Both were great - and in flight food was way better than Qantas. Moreover, airports in China and Hong Kong are clean, easy and full of free wifi.

Just saying.

I've just returned from China and had one flight with Dragon Air and one with China Eastern. Both were great - and in flight food was way better than Qantas. Moreover, airports in China and Hong Kong are clean, easy and full of free wifi.

Just saying.

They probably are :)

Just if you read the reviews and the consistently rated worst airlines for all that, a fair few Chinese ones seem to rank up there. Saying that, Ryan Air tops most lists and Easy Jet comes in a couple of spots behind :cute:

Guest flying framer

Ryan Air tops most lists and Easy Jet comes in a couple of spots behind :cute:

Why do so many people love to bash Ryanair?

Open this lnk and listen to Michael O'Leary telling you

http://www.fluffylinks.com/ryanair-business-strategy

His flights are cheap, on time, and they dont loose your luggage !

Ryanair now flys more passengers than any other airline - so somebody must like them.

Does anyone really need food on a 1 or 2 hour flight. I think not.

• 4 weeks later...

I just flew 4 hours Kos to Stansted with Ryanair - they had us standing queuing at the gate before the plane had even landed - stood up for about an hour and a half. Of course no-one left the q for toilets or refreshments cos then you'd lose the chance to run and grab your seat once you finally got on the plane. No hot food left by the time they got round to serving our seats (went front to back) then they'd run out of sandwiches when serving bar and snacks (back to front of plane). So it was a good job I had a packet of 'iced gems' with me.

If I ever fly with them again (which I doubt) I'll pay extra for Priority Boarding but even then the tiny seats, draconian baggage allowance and lack of any inflight entertainment mean that I would never fly them with my kids. I suspect I've been 'spoilt' by flying with Emirates Dubai to Birmingham and back relatively often.

Ryanair are probably great for businessmen/women travelling with no hold luggage and most likely - no children with them. Horses for courses!

Why do so many people love to bash Ryanair?

Open this lnk and listen to Michael O'Leary telling you

http://www.fluffylinks.com/ryanair-business-strategy

His flights are cheap, on time, and they dont loose your luggage !

Ryanair now flys more passengers than any other airline - so somebody must like them.

Does anyone really need food on a 1 or 2 hour flight. I think not.

When was I bashing them? I simply pointed out they top most of the lists for bad service etc. Don't see that as bashing, I didn't condem them and say they were crap :wink:

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I've found if you book a flight from Kuala lumpar to uk and return to australia then seperate ONE WAY tickets to get you to Kuala lumpar they work out cheaper. You can even book a one or two night stop in KL and its still cheaper than the return from oz.

Archived