$150 for a check up & clean for a child from the dentist!

Splash77

We pay about that before we get our insurance to pay 2/3.

Yes, it is expensive. Dentists in the UK are paid quite well too - out of our taxes.

Don't forget that dentists pay tax too, the nhs is not a bed of roses to work in, have worked in it myself, not as good as you guys are making out, plus dentists have to study so when they are studying they are not earning,

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way a lot of Dentists in the UK work now (and some Doctors, although not near so many as Dentists), is that they’ll see NHS patients for some of the week then private patients for the remainder; the obvious reason for this being that they earn much more from the private patients.

The consequences of this approach are (1) it is difficult to find a Dentist willing to take on a new NHS patient & (2) for existing NHS patients, the waiting times are doubled and the standard of treatment potentially compromised, as appointment times/duration are affected.

I hadn’t been to the Dentists for years and, as I mentioned, it was impossible to find one willing to accept me as an NHS patient. So, I had to go private.

Of course, children will always receive free dental work. But for adults not already registered as NHS patients, the UK & Australian systems and costs may not be as different as you think. That’s been my experience anyway.

Yeah, I went for years without dental check-ups when I was at uni because when I turned 18 the dentist at home wasn't taking on adult NHS patients, and there was a two year waiting list in my uni town, which reset when you changed address (which as a student I did every year).

In switzerland there was no way I could afford it on a PhD wage, so 9yrs later I'm finally earning, and will just pay whatever it takes to get my teeth back into order. (got off lightly, just fillings in the end, well and my wisdom teeth are coming out next week, but that would've needed to happen anyway).

I do have private health, which helps, but the main thing is I'm actually earning a decent wage, so can afford it.

My point was, dental treatment in the UK is not free, it is paid for through taxes. Dental treatment in Australia is not free, it is paid for at the point of use by the user. Dentists in both countries get paid. Both sets of users pay. In Australia you pay for the treatment you need. In the UK you pay whether you need the treatment or not. Both systems have their pros and cons. Migrants from the UK to Australia are understandably shocked when they have to pay $150 for a half hour check-up and clean, but may think nothing of paying a washing machine repair man $150 to fix a washing machine in half an hour...

When moving here please be aware of the costs you may have to bear from your own pocket to cover the costs of the things that are not provided 'free' by the Government. The benefit is you take more pay home as the notional tax rate is lower - e.g. no National Insurance at 12%. 10% GST not 20% VAT. What you save in tax you may need later to pay for dental care, health insurance, 'the gap' etc.

My dentist drives a Porsche.

Don't forget that dentists pay tax too, the nhs is not a bed of roses to work in, have worked in it myself, not as good as you guys are making out, plus dentists have to study so when they are studying they are not earning,

We use the school dentist too... Its a mobile van here and travels around the schools in the area, it parks at one school for 12 mth then moves to the next. Even if its not at your school when you need it, you just ring and book an appointment. Hope its the same for you in WA as it does save you a fair few $$$$..

Cal x

My point was, dental treatment in the UK is not free, it is paid for through taxes. Dental treatment in Australia is not free, it is paid for at the point of use by the user. Dentists in both countries get paid. Both sets of users pay. In Australia you pay for the treatment you need. In the UK you pay whether you need the treatment or not. Both systems have their pros and cons. Migrants from the UK to Australia are understandably shocked when they have to pay $150 for a half hour check-up and clean, but may think nothing of paying a washing machine repair man $150 to fix a washing machine in half an hour...

When moving here please be aware of the costs you may have to bear from your own pocket to cover the costs of the things that are not provided 'free' by the Government. The benefit is you take more pay home as the notional tax rate is lower - e.g. no National Insurance at 12%. 10% GST not 20% VAT. What you save in tax you may need later to pay for dental care, health insurance, 'the gap' etc.

My dentist drives a Porsche.

Yeah, precisely

Since I never benefitted from most of the things that some get/got for "free" or subsidised in the UK, I'm all for paying at the point of use. As per previous, dentists here aren't much more expensive than they are at home if you are paying privately anyway

When I lived in the UK our dentist went private, we were unable to get a NHS dentist. He told me that they had too make a choice NHS or private and could no longer do both. He chose private as he said most of his income was from private patients.

There were a few in the local area who stayed NHS, but of course were busting at the seams when most went private. We had too pay a monthly fee for the insurance so it worked out cheaper and it was pretty much the same price, we pay for extras here.

With Medibank, we get 2 per year. A lot of people don't realise you can just take out extras cover. They think you have to go the whole hog and get everything.

We found that Medibank tried to push us into their visitors cover when actually as we're from the UK much of it wasn't relevant due to the reciprocal arrangement. We took out Top Extras for five adults and two children and it costs $160 a month. The older kids contribute to this in their housekeeping.

that is why a lot of aussies now go abroad for the treatment, you can have a nice holiday plus get your teeth done at the same time for the cost of what a dentist here charge, example deep root canal filling australia fourteen hundred dollars even in uk you can get this done for 230 quid, private. Australia is known as the rip off nation it is just a fact, we pay more for everything and it is getting worse, the old excuse of well its because australia is so isolated is not washing now with Australians they are getting fed up as well especially when they go online now and compare prices for everything to around the world. A lot of my australian friends buy everything online now I know we get higher wages because you need them as everything here is 3 times more expensive.

I have just joined hbf on an essentials standard and gap cover...they waive all 2 mth waiting times and a family of 5 cost is $38 per fortnight.

Guest Guest31881

********Please remember this forum has members from every profession including dentists, please do not insult other members of PIO******

example deep root canal filling australia fourteen hundred dollars even in uk you can get this done for 230 quid, private.

Root canal work is not standard, the complexity of the procedure differs in each instance.

This 2008 report states "Most private root canal bills are in the range £360 to £475 per tooth." I would assume prices have risen since then.

http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/articles/july-2008/root-canal-treatment-the-costs-and-benefits/

We do get higher wages here lets not forget, you can't expect to be paid more and to have everything cheaper than anywhere else, it just doesn't work like that.

It drives me nuts to see people saying they are buying/going to buy stuff from overseas because it's cheaper. OK for once in a while that's fine, but please remember the reason a lot of people are giving for coming here in the first place, ------- because the economy is so much better here than in the UK. So why not keep it that way and put your money into it.

(Actually, I am going back to the UK so I'd be very happy for you to spend your money there if you really want to)

I been quoted 20k here for bridgework, put things anyway you like its far more expensive here than uk for dental, i can afford to fly to uk get the work done and return for cheaper, yes the dentist fees come from our taxes there but thats why we pay taxes, even the aussies say how expensive dentists are. I'm afraid some things are much more expensive here in oz than uk, people here need to admit it, and other suck it up and accept it :laugh:

Root canal work is not standard, the complexity of the procedure differs in each instance.

This 2008 report states "Most private root canal bills are in the range £360 to £475 per tooth." I would assume prices have risen since then.

http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/articles/july-2008/root-canal-treatment-the-costs-and-benefits/

Just got back from north of england and I can tell you got a rootcanal done for 230 quid. dont know what your papers say but i know what the dentist charged.

I think the £230 is for a nhs dentist...they have 3 different rates...it's hard to find a nhs dentist...I had to travel about 15-20 miles...alot of dentists are now private in the uk.

Is that the price before haggling?:laugh:

I been quoted 20k here for bridgework, put things anyway you like its far more expensive here than uk for dental, i can afford to fly to uk get the work done and return for cheaper, yes the dentist fees come from our taxes there but thats why we pay taxes, even the aussies say how expensive dentists are. I'm afraid some things are much more expensive here in oz than uk, people here need to admit it, and other suck it up and accept it :laugh:

We do get higher wages here lets not forget, you can't expect to be paid more and to have everything cheaper than anywhere else, it just doesn't work like that.

It drives me nuts to see people saying they are buying/going to buy stuff from overseas because it's cheaper. OK for once in a while that's fine, but please remember the reason a lot of people are giving for coming here in the first place, ------- because the economy is so much better here than in the UK. So why not keep it that way and put your money into it.

(Actually, I am going back to the UK so I'd be very happy for you to spend your money there if you really want to)

its funny how somebody write's summat on ere...and then people start slagging uk off AGAIN! how very strange...

its funny how somebody write's summat on ere...and then people start slagging uk off AGAIN! how very strange...

I know funny but what do people want ok all people in uk its cheap as chips here for dentist deep root fillings only cost 400 dollars there is that better. this has nothing to do with uk. ozzies and me are fed up with being ripped off so they are now going on line and buying not only from uk but they buy from anywhere they can get something cheaper, that is why manufacturing here is starting to suffer, higher wages lead to higher manufacturing costs I accept that but if i can get something half price say from singapore, i am going to buy that, nothing to do with uk.

How am I "slagging" off the UK please?

i never mentioned the uk economy in my thread...that you kindly pointed out! i was simply saying that i think its discusting charging $150 to look at my child's teeth and clean......australia is so expensive, its unbelievable...but for some strange reason people wont admit it...you may get more in you pay pack...but there's nowt to show for it at the end of the week. you no what drives me nut's....( people who have been brainwashed into thinking that australia is the bee's nee's.....

The point I am trying to make is that if people come here for the good economy, but then proceed to spend their money off shore, (where ever that may be.) then the Australian economy will suffer. It wasn't directed at you , more following on from what other people wrote about going overseas.

I am certainly not anti UK. we are moving back there (read my signature!) as soon as we sell our house.

Archived