Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Guest Guest67761
Any idea on the import dutys or similar?

For a cost calculation we need to know a lot more detailed information, so please fill out the cost estimate request form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Quick question: Is there an age or mileage restriction on cars for import?

I love the quick questions which have quick answers: There are no restrictions like this, you can import anything under the Personal Import Scheme.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
Thank you for the reply! :-)

Now another Quicky: how about a 1990's Van or Motor-home / Camper-van ? Are those allowed as well?

Any vehicle from a normal car or motorbike to a campervan or truck could be imported under the Personal Import Scheme as long as you meet the criteria.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

We have a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso (7-seater), 2.0L Diesel "Exclusive" model (top model) with air-con, climate control, electric tinted windows / mirrors, rear parking sensors, mileage: 36k, 59 reg (Sep 2009). Cost £9k.

From Leicester to either Melbourne or Perth (not decided yet!).

Thanks,

I-F :-)

We wonder would we break even. we need a car straight away and know this one so as far as bangers go she has been very well looked after.

2005 (55 reg)- year of manufacture

VW Touran - make, model & variant

MPV - body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

1.9 tdi diesel - engine size & fuel type

manual - transmission

Normal ?- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

80,000 - mileage

7 seater, heated front seats - any special features, options or modification

climate control not aircon - does it have aircon

£2000 - realistic current UK market value

not listed - Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

Perth - which Australian state/city

Hi, I`m considering buying a used campervan in the UK, I know I would have to pay the charges, but how much would it (shipping) cost, and can I pack it with belongings as well? I`m thinking of paying about £10K .The prices in Australia are extortionate, Thanks.

Guest Guest67761
Hi there,

We have a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso (7-seater), 2.0L Diesel "Exclusive" model (top model) with air-con, climate control, electric tinted windows / mirrors, rear parking sensors, mileage: 36k, 59 reg (Sep 2009). Cost £9k.

From Leicester to either Melbourne or Perth (not decided yet!).

Thanks,

I-F :-)

If the current value of this car is around £9k then it would be borderline if you should bring it or not, however if it cost you £9k a while ago and is worth less now then it could be a decent car to bring along.

To get a cost estimate and more detailed information based on your specific circumstances then please fill out the form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

We wonder would we break even. we need a car straight away and know this one so as far as bangers go she has been very well looked after.

2005 (55 reg)- year of manufacture

VW Touran - make, model & variant

MPV - body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

manual - transmission

Normal ?- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

80,000 - mileage

7 seater, heated front seats - any special features, options or modification

climate control not aircon - does it have aircon

£2000 - realistic current UK market value

not listed - Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

Perth - which Australian state/city

This was not a model sold here in Australia so importing it to resell would not be a good option however if you wanted to keep it for a while then it seems to work out alright on that basis due to the relatively low current value in the UK compared to the replacement value of a similar vehicle here in Australia.

To get a cost estimate and more detailed information based on your specific circumstances then please fill out the form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Would it be advisable to take a 2006 BMW x5 , 3.0diesel with 120,000 miles,

uk value around £10,000

is the re-sale value affected on this as its an import?

Assuming you are going to Perth and the vehicle was in excellent general condition then it should work out to be a decent option as most BMW models do. The resale value in Australia could be a lot less than an Australian new X5 if there are obvious differences with yours as far as specification and features, otherwise if yours is basically the same then there is no reason why it should sell for a huge amount less unless you are in a situation where you needed to sell it quickly.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

I've used this and haven't received anything back!

All cost estimate requests are replied to as quickly as possible and we are up to date with everything at the moment. I would suggest that you check your junk/spam folder as some emails will end up there for no real reason, otherwise if it's not there then please let me know what car it was and your email address so I can check it out. You can private message me in here if you prefer not to post all of your information in the forum.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

2005 Mazda MX5 (2-seater, soft top convertible with air-con). 100,000 miles but total engine refurb at 98,000 miles. Realistic UK value £4750-5000. Red Book valuation approx AU$20,000.

Without being able to look up the exact model and do a proper calculation I can only base my advice on the details and values you have provided which makes it seem like this would be a great car to bring with you as it would end up owning a lot less than the likely Australian market value.

Cheers,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi, I`m considering buying a used campervan in the UK, I know I would have to pay the charges, but how much would it (shipping) cost, and can I pack it with belongings as well? I`m thinking of paying about £10K .The prices in Australia are extortionate, Thanks.

Campervans are difficult to price as it will largely depend on the dimensions in order to calculate shipping costs, and the features and specification of the camper to work out what is likely to be needed for Australian compliance, roadworthy and registration requirements. We would need to know as much as possible about the vehicle, including photos if possible, before we could really give you an sort of real idea of the costs involved.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
We have a Ford Fiesta Lx 2004 model with Aircon and 72,000 milies

I think over here its worth about £1200

Between $7000-$9000

Its prob not worth it but wanted to check!

We have received your request through the cost estimate page of our website and will reply with more details and a breakdown of the likely costs for you shortly.

Thank you,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Guest Guest67761
What do you think, my wife and I own the following

2009 911 C2S PDK

40 000 miles

UK value £38k

2010 BMW 535D GT

40 000 miles

UK value 22k

Both vehicles should work out to be excellent options to bring with you from a financial point of view as they should each end up owing you a lot less than their likely market value in Australia. I would strongly encourage you to contact me at least 2-3 months or more before you are ready to move so we can get the paperwork in order with time to spare.

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

I've done all the searching I possible can I think but still have no idea!!

We have a conway crusader 6 berth folding camper, (bottom half is like a caravan, top half a tent) 2004 model UK value approx £4000. Would it incur any import costs etc or just transportation costs. Having looked for similar on Australian sites we'd be looking about $25000.

Any help appreciated.

Dave.

I've done all the searching I possible can I think but still have no idea!!

We have a conway crusader 6 berth folding camper, (bottom half is like a caravan, top half a tent) 2004 model UK value approx £4000. Would it incur any import costs etc or just transportation costs. Having looked for similar on Australian sites we'd be looking about $25000.

Any help appreciated.

Dave.

Based on the figures you've listed, it's worth doing - bear in mind that you'll need to consider the ozone depleting gases in the fridge, the LPG piping for the stove will need to be certified before it can be registered (if it has an inbuilt tank rather than running off a cylinder, let me know). Power plugs and voltage will need to be changed, but that's not necessary for registration (just more for practicality, unless you want to use adapters for everything!).

Hi, is it worth us taking our car? It runs really well and just had MOT and nothing needed doing. Lots of miles on clock but otherwise is really reliable car!!

- year of manufacture: 2001

- make, model & variant: ford focus

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc): 5-door hatchback

- engine size & fuel type: petrol

- transmission: manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc): front wheel drive

- mileage: 100,000

- any special features, options or modification: none

- does it have aircon: yes

- realistic current UK market value: £1000

- redbook price when new value: $20,000 for 2002 reg ford focus

- Australian market value: $5000 for 2002 reg

Thanks a lot, Michelle

Guest Guest67761
Hi there

trying to decide whether to take or leave my car....

its a Audi A3 S line; 2008; 29,000 miles on clock; 1.4 turbo;with climate control....

whats your opinion???

Thanks

Donna

Hi Donna,

This car is most likely worthwhile bringing along for the journey however if you wanted to know for sure and get more information, including likely costs for the process, then please fill out the form on our website so we can do some proper calculations for you:

http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Regards,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

Hi, is it worth us taking our car? It runs really well and just had MOT and nothing needed doing. Lots of miles on clock but otherwise is really reliable car!!

- year of manufacture: 2001

- make, model & variant: ford focus

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc): 5-door hatchback

- engine size & fuel type: petrol

- transmission: manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc): front wheel drive

- mileage: 100,000

- any special features, options or modification: none

- does it have aircon: yes

- realistic current UK market value: £1000

- redbook price when new value: $20,000 for 2002 reg ford focus

- Australian market value: $5000 for 2002 reg

Thanks a lot, Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I think that the costs needed to import this vehicle including getting it ready for road use will be more than it might be worth to sell here in Australia, unless you have space available in your container of household goods to save a little on shipping costs. If you wanted to know for sure then please fill out the form on our website with all of the details of the car so we can calculate the costs for you:

http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate

Best wishes,

Craig Moor

Iron Lady Imports

• 2 weeks later...
Guest darryljames

Hey Import gurus! Total n00b here, researching if we can bring our Tdi out later this year, here's the details, thanks in advance for your sage knowledge!

2005 (55 plate) - year of manufacture

VW Golf Mk 5 - make, model & variant

3dr Hatch - body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

Manual - transmission

Front wheel - drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

70,000/112654 - mileage

After market bluetooth & iPod stereo - any special features, options or modification

Yes to aircon - does it have aircon

£5500 - realistic current UK market value

$6900 - $8600 - Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

$10 - $13k - Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

Brisbane - which Australian state/city

Hey Import gurus! Total n00b here, researching if we can bring our Tdi out later this year, here's the details, thanks in advance for your sage knowledge!

2005 (55 plate) - year of manufacture

VW Golf Mk 5 - make, model & variant

3dr Hatch - body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

Manual - transmission

Front wheel - drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

70,000/112654 - mileage

After market bluetooth & iPod stereo - any special features, options or modification

Yes to aircon - does it have aircon

£5500 - realistic current UK market value

$6900 - $8600 - Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

$10 - $13k - Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

Brisbane - which Australian state/city

If you can get that much for it on the UK market, then it's probably a category C. If you still want us to run the numbers on importing, then jump on the site and fill out the quote form :)

Hi, considering bringing a 2013 VW SHARAN 2ltr 140bhp. Automatic diesel with aircon. UK value £23000, can't do Oz value as they don't sell it there. It will e 12 months old by the time we move in aug 14 and will have 15000 miles on, probably intend to keep for long term interested in your advice please?