Moving to Canberra 2012

Tina G

I saw there was a great thread for everyone who moved to Canberra in 2011, so thought I'd set up a new thread for people moving out this year. My Aussie husband and I arrived in Melbourne in September, but I have since found a great job in Canberra, so not long before we're on the move again. I'm going to be flying to Canberra for a few days a week to start off and then we plan to make the move in around June.

Would be great to hear from anybody else planning to make the move this year, or from anyone who's made the move and their suggestions!

Tina

Good luck to all moving to Canberra. I'm currently back in blighty and should be back on the 20th. I'll sort some more meet ups when I get back

Hope you are having a good holiday! Is this the duty 'meet the grandkids' trip? Good luck with the flight back if that is the case!!!!

I'm in UK too - for the foreseeable future, thank heavens! Came for a holiday and not going back!!!!

Good luck to all moving to Canberra. I'm currently back in blighty and should be back on the 20th. I'll sort some more meet ups when I get back

Hi Nik,we arrived in Canberra in Nov 2011 and we love it here. We would be interested in any meet ups you are sorting out when you return from The Chilly UK. Please let us know what,where and when?

Thank's

Steve,Wendy and Georgia ;-):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Guest pugsleysinoz

Hi We arrrive in Canberra early May after a brief stay in sydney really looking foward to it. Currently trying to sort out the house and shipping etc. Would like to keep in touch with anyone going through the same process or been through it. We have a 3yo daughter so any advice for the flight over would be great also.

Hi all, We arrived in Canberra at the end of December after a long flight with a 5 year old and 8 week old twins. So far so good and we are enjoying Canberra. Just finding our feet and enjoying a little bit of sunshine, although have been told this summer is unsettled and not as warm as it has been.

Thanks Tina. Its all been relatively easy I have found but hubby moved before we need to set up. My main concern was the medicare cards and sorting schooling out but again have found no problems - so far. We moved to the Gungahlin Suburb and its going well. Just getting used to it being quiet and everywhere closing at 5pm :-) I hope your move goes well and you enjoy your new job.

Hi all, We arrived in Canberra at the end of December after a long flight with a 5 year old and 8 week old twins. So far so good and we are enjoying Canberra. Just finding our feet and enjoying a little bit of sunshine, although have been told this summer is unsettled and not as warm as it has been.

Yay more twins!! :biggrin: Only 8 weeks old? How did your flight over go? I'll send you a PM. :)

Anyone with pre-school age children who is interested in a few meet ups during the week etc, here's a few of us that have joined together via a facebook group to share info and organise some playdates. If you're interested in joining please PM me. :)

Guest PaulineG1982

Hi everyone, hubbie and I are coming down June aswell (arrive approx 13th June! day before the big 30.. yikes) so would be up for meeting anyone!!!. Just trying to tie up lose ends here before we go as it will fly in no doubt. We were thinking the Lyneham area to rent, having initially considered the Kingston, Griffith area. Anyone have any thoughts / info on this area. Hope everyone is well :cute: xxxx

Hope you are having a good holiday! Is this the duty 'meet the grandkids' trip? Good luck with the flight back if that is the case!!!!

I'm in UK too - for the foreseeable future, thank heavens! Came for a holiday and not going back!!!!

Quoll are u going back to canberra? how are u finding being back in d uk?

Hi We arrrive in Canberra early May after a brief stay in sydney really looking foward to it. Currently trying to sort out the house and shipping etc. Would like to keep in touch with anyone going through the same process or been through it. We have a 3yo daughter so any advice for the flight over would be great also.

Hi hun....

Exciting times :-)) we hope to be over soon. Just waiting for our visa. Hubby's job waiting for him.

Started sorting out the house....my god where does the stuff come from?? most of it toys i might add!! went to drop some down to the charity shop only for them to tell me they didn't have enough space!!! going to try a car boot sale.... Got some quotes for shipping and looked at flights. Think we will do dublin to dubia then onto sydney, seems to have the shortest hanging around the airport time. We were going to fly from scotland but couldn't face the family goodbyes. If we go from here we can sneak away....

I see you have a 5 year old. Our little girl is 8. have you looked at areas and schools?

Everyone on here is so friendly will be brill meeting up once we all arrive :-))

Guest pugsleysinoz

We just doing paperwork for shipping and trying to sort and sell house time seems to be going so fast cant wait till April. Can people do me a favour and friend me if they want to meet up once they arrive or you guys who are already out there and have experience of the move i would love to keep in touch and get involved in a meet up and to share experiences. I dont really know much about how the forum works do we set up a group?

Melody

Hi... I am just finalising shipping too,...well playing them off each other to see if I can get a few quid off the cost hehehe...yes I am being a tight arse.

As we are coming over on 457 we don't qualify for the double luggage allowance with Singapore Airlines but they have graciously granted us an extra 5kg each so that will be a big help and we will courier over another 20kg case too as from quotes it is only going to cost about £120.

I have just added you pugsleysinoz. We'd love to be able to get together we newbies and oldies on the Canberra scene.

We just doing paperwork for shipping and trying to sort and sell house time seems to be going so fast cant wait till April. Can people do me a favour and friend me if they want to meet up once they arrive or you guys who are already out there and have experience of the move i would love to keep in touch and get involved in a meet up and to share experiences. I dont really know much about how the forum works do we set up a group?

Melody

I'm not sure how the site works either, but i guess we just make friends :) I have sent you a 'friend' request, i think that should do the trick :)

Hi everyone, I have been following poms in oz for almost a year now waiting for job confirmation and visa. well all is now completed and i booked my flight today so will be arriving in canberra on 13th march. would like to meet others who are new to canberra over the next few months so will keep an eye out for meet ups.

Archived