Can i afford Australia?

gemstone

Guest subodhcs

Hello G.

my question relates to a different topic.

M coming from India and seeking an Immigration Consultant either in India or from Australia.

Did you take help of any such consultant?

thanks.

Subodh.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello G.

my question relates to a different topic.

M coming from India and seeking an Immigration Consultant either in India or from Australia.

Did you take help of any such consultant?

thanks.

Subodh.

Subodh, you need to start your own thread, but clicking the 'new thread button' at the top left of each forum, rather than 'hijacking' someone else's thread - two reasons a) its just a bit rude and b) you will get far far more responses and more correct/helpful responses at that (as people can see what you are asking from your thread title and there assist, rather than coming to a thread about something else that they may know about, and be asked a question about something they then don't know anything about).

Hope that helps you use the forums a bit easier :)

They won't be overly interested until you are there and registered - a lot of people say they are going but don't, and primary school teachers in Metro areas (ala Melbourne) are not in particularly short supply so they can be a bit picky.

Like I say, you will need to register with Victoria State teaching board (sorry, don't know its actual name, each state has a different set up and name for their teaching authority), which will probably require some kind of Australian First Aid and/or Child Protection type course/s. If you look into registration with Vic you will also find out the way they work - not sure if Vic have a points system or not where by teachers have to do a few years in rural postings before earning enough 'points' as it were to get placed in a city/suburbs school, so that's something to check up on. Be aware that the Australian teaching jobs system is very different from here in the UK - perm. contract jobs give teachers way more rights and therefore are far less commonplace (here obviously its unusual to notbe on a perm. contract, or at least it was until a year or so ago), rolling contracts are generally more common, so is another thing to get used to.

Supply might be your best way forward, at any rate its a good way to get a foot in the door with regards to more long term jobs, it depends how long you've been teaching as to what rate you get, it varies quite a bit I believe. If you google you should be able to find the pay scale rates for teachers in Vic, the daily supply rates may be on it too. At least there is supply over there though, as you can't put a non-qualified warm body instead of a teacher in front of a class like here in the UK. When you do get a long term/perm job the pay is way more than here in the UK imho (depending on what pay scale/extra responsibilities you are on over here).

Sorry if any of that comes across as negative, its not meant to be just forewarned is forearmed - things are just different over there :) (personally I think things are far better from what I've heard from actual teachers in actual jobs, or actually looking for jobs themselves over there).

Hi positive pixie,

that does sound a bit scary...when i was on a whv in 2005 i was registered with the victorian institute of teaching and didnt have to do any courses. i emailed them a while back and they still have my details so when i re-register they dont need all the evidence again. i havnt told my current school so cant register until april as need references from current school.

i noticed the other day when i was online that most of the jobs were fixed term for 1 year and i found that a bit bizarre. but is that what happens and then they just keep renewing your contract or do you have to apply again?

i didnt know about the working in regional victoria before you can get a job in the city i thought that was just related to the type of visa you have.

i was thinking of contacting some people closer to the time that i come in april and maybe being able to visit a school to find out more about the education system. do you have any ideas about what i could do with that?

sorry rambling off topic again...but appreciate the help.

Getting permanent teaching positions these days is not easy. It is the norm to get short term contracts rather than permanency - it's that old catch 22 you have to be permanent to be permanent!

Some states reward rural and remote service with points which are tallied if you should go for a plum position (ie metropolitan) otherwise you just wont be competitive. And by rural and remote they are talking even more rural and remote than they may have in the past - places like Bendigo and Ballarat may once have counted but now they are also considered plum. A friend of mine - primary, good skills, several special areas like RR and Japanese could not get a permanent job until recently - almost 5 years after a move from a permanent position in ACT where she was top of the scale (and even then not in gov but Catholic system). Seems she was too skilled aka too expensive with school based management - they can get newer cheaper short term contractors.

If you can fancy some time in Eastern Gippsland or the Western district you stand more of a chance of something permanent but if you want Melbourne then your options are going to be limited. If you dont mind relief or short term contracts and the insecurity they bring then you should be fine.

"Is there anything sadder than the people who come out here armed with a calculator set permanently to the exchange rate for GBP to AUS$ I thought train spotters and twitchers were bad enough but spending your life in OZ comparing prices in OZ to the UK!"

OUCH!!

:wink:

FWIW, as part of our long-running shall we/shan't we (long story!) decision making process, we've done spreadsheets on cost of living for two years now and the most striking thing is just how much the cost of living in the UK has risen. Good luck

Getting permanent teaching positions these days is not easy. It is the norm to get short term contracts rather than permanency - it's that old catch 22 you have to be permanent to be permanent!

Some states reward rural and remote service with points which are tallied if you should go for a plum position (ie metropolitan) otherwise you just wont be competitive. And by rural and remote they are talking even more rural and remote than they may have in the past - places like Bendigo and Ballarat may once have counted but now they are also considered plum. A friend of mine - primary, good skills, several special areas like RR and Japanese could not get a permanent job until recently - almost 5 years after a move from a permanent position in ACT where she was top of the scale (and even then not in gov but Catholic system). Seems she was too skilled aka too expensive with school based management - they can get newer cheaper short term contractors.

If you can fancy some time in Eastern Gippsland or the Western district you stand more of a chance of something permanent but if you want Melbourne then your options are going to be limited. If you dont mind relief or short term contracts and the insecurity they bring then you should be fine.

Oh dear this all sounds a bit of a nightmare. I cant work in remote and rural areas if I expect my OH to be able to work or be at home ever. His work revolves around conferences and events...which im guessing will mainly be based in the city. I guess im just going to have to hope and pray I get a decent job in the outer suburbs. I was considering leaving teaching because of the stress factor and paperwork that I seem to have in this country so maybe thats something to take into consideration as well. Hmmm.....

"Is there anything sadder than the people who come out here armed with a calculator set permanently to the exchange rate for GBP to AUS$ I thought train spotters and twitchers were bad enough but spending your life in OZ comparing prices in OZ to the UK!"

OUCH!!

FWIW, as part of our long-running shall we/shan't we (long story!) decision making process, we've done spreadsheets on cost of living for two years now and the most striking thing is just how much the cost of living in the UK has risen. Good luck

Much of the stuff I buy in OZ, I am doing it with UK pounds as I rely on the rent from my home in England to supplement my income but I neither look at the rate of exchange nor the cost of each foreign transaction - using my Smile Debit Visa card.

Just come out here and enjoy it! Once you are earning Aussie dollars you'll start (or should) to think in dollars too. I honestly can't remember what things cost in the UK any more and it's only been three years. Mind you, I stopped thinking about UK prices three days after I arrived.

Oh dear this all sounds a bit of a nightmare. I cant work in remote and rural areas if I expect my OH to be able to work or be at home ever. His work revolves around conferences and events...which im guessing will mainly be based in the city. I guess im just going to have to hope and pray I get a decent job in the outer suburbs. I was considering leaving teaching because of the stress factor and paperwork that I seem to have in this country so maybe thats something to take into consideration as well. Hmmm.....

That's actually quite a good idea if you have other skills that are in demand and have a degree in whatever to back you up. Where will your DH be working?

Much of the stuff I buy in OZ, I am doing it with UK pounds as I rely on the rent from my home in England to supplement my income but I neither look at the rate of exchange nor the cost of each foreign transaction - using my Smile Debit Visa card.

Just come out here and enjoy it! Once you are earning Aussie dollars you'll start (or should) to think in dollars too. I honestly can't remember what things cost in the UK any more and it's only been three years. Mind you, I stopped thinking about UK prices three days after I arrived.

I do keep an eye on the cost in both countries as my income is in Australian dollars - my expenses are steadily showing themselves to be far less here in UK and the old credit card isnt getting quite the bashing it was, even though we have had moving and settling costs and we are keeping a house in Aus untenanted. One doesnt like to talk money with friends but, from what I can gather, their pensions are roughly equivalent to ours with the current exchange rate (this is friends who have had similar careers to ours)

Is there anything sadder than the people who come out here armed with a calculator set permanently to the exchange rate for GBP to AUS$ I thought train spotters and twitchers were bad enough but spending your life in OZ comparing prices in OZ to the UK!

I would say thats proberly 95% of people who emigrate, obviously your special.

"
Is there anything sadder than the people who come out here armed with a calculator set permanently to the exchange rate for GBP to AUS$ I thought train spotters and twitchers were bad enough but spending your life in OZ comparing prices in OZ to the UK!"

OUCH!!

That made me smile, you have a go at people comparing prices then you have done spread sheets yourself :laugh:

I would say thats proberly 95% of people who emigrate, obviously your special.

I doubt if it's 95 per cent of the people who emigrate but it probably IS 95 per cent (at least) of the ones who go back. I recall going into Coles or Woolies in the first couple of weeks after I arrived back in Sydney and being less than impressed but within a few more weeks I'd forgotten all about Tesco and Asda.

'The Australian' costs $1.70 ($2.60 on Saturdays) and a schooner of Coopers is around $5.50 to $6.50 in Surry Hills pubs. How am I supposed to compare them to the price of 'The Times' and a pint of Fosters in Southampton when I cannot remember how much I paid in December, 2008 and don't have a clue what they cost in December, 2011?

I've just answered my own question; I should have recorded all the prices before I left and then maintained a monthly comparison of UK/AUS prices/FX rates. Would 'monthly' have been accurate enought though? 'Daily' would have been OTT surely?

Guest richsaint18
Hello,

I am having a bit of a panic. The more i read on poms in oz the more i worry i cant afford australia.

I came to australia on a WHV in 2005 and loved it so much that i made it my personal mission to get a visa...it has taken a while.

However can i now afford it, the exchange rate is horrendous in comparison to 5 years ago. I keep hearing that prices have gone through the roof over there, and have flicked through the recent posts.

We are not very well off as it is and i was never coming to australia because i thought i would be better off, but now its making me wonder whether life will be not so great there, because we wont be able to afford to go out for dinner, buy a car or a house. We both own old vehicles and only rent our house. We are saving so that we will have a bit of a house deposit when we get there.

Could anyone tell me what they do and whether it is looking likely to get any better. I am scared to think of the question...'but is it really worth it anymore?' My flights are booked and I have dreamed of it for 6 years. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks G

Check out this comparison between my living costs in Australia and the UK - http://www.ozvuk.com

Hopefully this will help.

If your flights are booked and it's been your dream for six years, do you REALLY want to back out now? It's a bit of a cliche but you'd probably spend the rest of your life wondering 'what if.........?' I've worried about my decision to come back to Sydney as I gave up a secure and well-paid job and I've not been able to secure a permanent job since I came back three years ago.

I really SHOULD be worrying about the rate of exchange too as I depend for part of my income on the rent from my house in England - 486 pounds net a month if there are no repairs to fund. How brilliant it woulld be if the $AUD would collapse again to the rates of a decade ago!

The bottom line for me is that in Australia, I think in 'dollars' not 'pounds'. Now, at 7pm, I'm going down to the beach to worry a bit more!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

If anyones interested in the average wages paid in Australia, up to 2010, i think they got another decent pay rise this year as well so it will be higher now.

Average Full Time Total earnings including overtime:

12 Months endedAnnual WageAnnual Change

May-1995.........$38,740

May-1996.........$40,378.....4.23%

May-1997.........$41,418.....2.58%

May-1998.........$43,155.....4.19%

May-1999.........$44,309.....2.68%

May-2000.........$45,900.....3.59%

May-2001.........$47,793.....4.12%

May-2002.........$50,253.....5.15%

May-2003.........$53,414.....6.29%

May-2004.........$54,938.....2.85%

May-2005.........$58,583.....6.64%

May-2006.........$59,873.....2.20%

May-2007.........$62,894.....5.05%

May-2008.........$65,686.....4.44%

May-2009.........$69,493.....5.79%

May-2010.........$73,148.....5.26%

Hoffy mate, Jo and I got a huge pay rise last week...Our combined pension is now $26,000 pa.:jiggy:

We manage.

Cheers, Bobj.

I must be on about $20,000 per year from various sources - pension, rent, casual work, but I find it very difficult to get by without raiding my savings. I think I could do with about another $20,000 per year to live comfortably in Sydney.

I think most people compare prices when they first arrive in Oz, we certainly did and we were horrified as we were using our £'s not $'s. Once we got jobs here (BTW my husband and I are both 60 and got jobs easily) and started earning $'s we stopped comparing because we earn a lot more here than we ever did in UK and we live and eat well (the waistline does not lie :-) ) We rent a 4 bed house which is huge and yes the rents do seem expensive here but you get a lot more house for your money and we don't pay council tax or for our water so I think we have a pretty good deal. Also we have managed to save a lot for our deposit for a house which we could never have done in UK. Petrol is almost half the price of UK. Cars live longer because we have no salt and grit on the roads to wreck our cars. Clothes can be expensive, depends what you want to wear and to be honest you don't need half the clothes you thought you would...most of mine are still packed up after 2 years. Furniture and white goods stores have always got sales or specials on and we haven't paid full price for anything. Books are expensive but the Book Depository UK is fantastic....prices low and free postage to anywhere in the world. No TV licences....gas, electricity and water are cheaper here than UK. As Coles and Woolies are in constant battle with each other I fond food prices reasonable too, so on the whole I find living in Oz not half bad!!! Just add the fabulous weather, beaches, scenery, the people and their great sense of humour and laid back lifestyle I reckon we will be staying :cool: We love Oz!!

I think most people compare prices when they first arrive in Oz, we certainly did and we were horrified as we were using our £'s not $'s. Once we got jobs here (BTW my husband and I are both 60 and got jobs easily) and started earning $'s we stopped comparing because we earn a lot more here than we ever did in UK and we live and eat well (the waistline does not lie :-) ) We rent a 4 bed house which is huge and yes the rents do seem expensive here but you get a lot more house for your money and we don't pay council tax or for our water so I think we have a pretty good deal. Also we have managed to save a lot for our deposit for a house which we could never have done in UK. Petrol is almost half the price of UK. Cars live longer because we have no salt and grit on the roads to wreck our cars. Clothes can be expensive, depends what you want to wear and to be honest you don't need half the clothes you thought you would...most of mine are still packed up after 2 years. Furniture and white goods stores have always got sales or specials on and we haven't paid full price for anything. Books are expensive but the Book Depository UK is fantastic....prices low and free postage to anywhere in the world. No TV licences....gas, electricity and water are cheaper here than UK. As Coles and Woolies are in constant battle with each other I fond food prices reasonable too, so on the whole I find living in Oz not half bad!!! Just add the fabulous weather, beaches, scenery, the people and their great sense of humour and laid back lifestyle I reckon we will be staying :cool: We love Oz!!

Someone else told me about the Book Depository UK although I'm buying most of my books now at Vinnies/Salvos. I'm going up to Coles in a minute at Surry Hills Shopping Village where the prices always seem reasonable to me. I remember in England that because I was working full time, with no debts, I never worried about the prices, in fact, preferred paying more at Waitrose because I liked it more than Tesco/ASDA. I've asked it before but how am I supposed to compare the UK to AUS when I can't remember what I paid in the UK?

Hello,

I am having a bit of a panic. The more i read on poms in oz the more i worry i cant afford australia.

I came to australia on a WHV in 2005 and loved it so much that i made it my personal mission to get a visa...it has taken a while.

However can i now afford it, the exchange rate is horrendous in comparison to 5 years ago. I keep hearing that prices have gone through the roof over there, and have flicked through the recent posts.

We are not very well off as it is and i was never coming to australia because i thought i would be better off, but now its making me wonder whether life will be not so great there, because we wont be able to afford to go out for dinner, buy a car or a house. We both own old vehicles and only rent our house. We are saving so that we will have a bit of a house deposit when we get there.

Could anyone tell me what they do and whether it is looking likely to get any better. I am scared to think of the question...'but is it really worth it anymore?' My flights are booked and I have dreamed of it for 6 years. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks G

Prices have gone up considerably since 2005. The high Australian dollar make it sound very expensive compared to most other countries but also make wages sound rather high. In the course of time this can be expected to change as the commodity curriencies decline in value. This in turn will flatten out wages. Having one of the worlds highest mimimun wages in place offers some protection to high costs.

Also a lot are employed as casuals on rather high rates but with no job security which is quite a trade off and far from being to the employees advantage.

Housing and rents have all wildly escalated in the pat six years. A lot of people do it tough. What seems to be forgotton by some is that the mining and oil/gas idustry does pay a lot of money but only a very small percentage actually work in that area.

If you can come with some of the backpacker spirt of olde and take it as it comes and treat it as another adventure which may or may not progress to better things then who knows what may be possible?

I always think it can be possible to seek out a better life where the amount earned is not the sole measurement of success.

Guest tandcmum

We arein a similar situation to you in that we don't have a lot of savings, things are tight here and we don't have a house to sell, we have put off our decision a few times because of money but in the end we decided we wanted to make the move for reasons other than money and knew we would regret it if we didn't go so we have just gone for it. We are lucky in that we have a PR visa, and I also have a job to go to and the hospital I am going to provides us with accomodation for a month, plus some money back for flights etc. Things are tough for us in the UK financially and no doubt things will be tight when we get over to Oz but this is an adventure, and experience and something we have dreamt about for a long time. If you have been dreaming about this or years and have your flights booked go for it and enjoy xx

Archived