Moving for the kids - what does that mean?

p182

It may stay light til 10.30 pm in the UK in summer but that is offset by the much earlier (than Australia) darkness in winter. That being said, it doesn't get dark here in this part of Oz until 9.30 pm at this time of year.

9.30 where is that in Oz :eek:

p.s just looked as I did not believe it and sunset is 20.23 in Hobart.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9.30 where is that in Oz :eek:

p.s just looked as I did not believe it and sunset is 20.23 in Hobart.

Why would you not believe it? is it a competition to disprove another poster's experiences or something?

Sunset is not dark. I can fully substantiate that on my last visit to Tazzy that I was sat at "The edge of the world", on the step of the campervan, reading with ease, my map at 9.15pm.

Guest jamesandstephcole

We hope to be moving out next year, at which point our Kids will be 8 and 9. We don't say that we are doing it for our kids, as we are definitely doing it for ourselves in equal measure.

But I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to live in America for 4 years when I was a similar age to my kids, and the experience was just fantastic!.. and it is the memory of these 4 years that has helped push the decision to give it a go down under, as I dearly want my kids to experience a different geography and lifestyle at an age that will benefit them greatly.

The move is an adventure that the whole family is looking forward to. an adventure born from a background that my wife and I have to experience life to the full!.. if we end up returning to the UK in a few years it will be because we all want to come back.. and hopefully the lasting lesson my kids will have taken from the whole experience is.... 'Suck the Juice out of life people - You don't get a second chance!'

So its not about security, its not about job prospects, its not about university, its not about anything!

Its about giving it a go!.. and letting the kids learn about the world!

... wow, just read that back - i'm not a hippy really

I'm really surprised about that, RockDr, as Adelaide prides itself on being a cut above the rest of "uncultured" Australia, especially in music.

There are any number of amateur instrumental groups here - classic ensembles, orchestras, blues and jazz bands, brass bands, pipe bands, Taiko drummers - and singing groups from small acapella (including barber shops) to orchestral choirs and a (very good) gospel choir and an annual Festival of Voices.

There is a saying that climate is destiny and maybe we have a very active amateur music scene here because of the more temperate climate.

The thing is, there's about the same number of amateur orchestras, concert bands and (non-church) choirs in Adelaide as there was in my local UK town of population 60k, I'm not saying there's nothing, but compared to the endless sports facilities available in Australia, it really falls short, and the proportion of people involved seems far lower in Australia than it was in the UK.

Why would you not believe it? is it a competition to disprove another poster's experiences or something?

Sunset is not dark. I can fully substantiate that on my last visit to Tazzy that I was sat at "The edge of the world", on the step of the campervan, reading with ease, my map at 9.15pm.

Because it is the constant moans with some people that you cannot do sports outside because of the weather which is just not true, that does gets my back up, in Fact Brisbane and other cities in Oz have far more annual rainfall than where I live.

The thing is, there's about the same number of amateur orchestras, concert bands and (non-church) choirs in Adelaide as there was in my local UK town of population 60k, I'm not saying there's nothing, but compared to the endless sports facilities available in Australia, it really falls short, and the proportion of people involved seems far lower in Australia than it was in the UK.

I find far more adults and children doing sport in the UK than I did in Perth, there is just people jogging and cycling far more than I ever witnessed in Perth, this might just be down to the weather being to hot in Oz for these type of activities mind you.

I find far more adults and children doing sport in the UK than I did in Perth, there is just people jogging and cycling far more than I ever witnessed in Perth, this might just be down to the weather being to hot in Oz for these type of activities mind you.

It was just where you lived in Perth, as usual palming off your limited experience of Perth as fact. When I am walking my dogs along the coast I see probably at least 50 people walking, jogging or cycling during the hour I am out. When I am at my local sports centre on a Monday, Tuesday and Saturday watching my daughters play netball there is also hockey, AFL, soccer, cricket and little athletics and more running at the same time.

It was just where you lived in Perth, as usual palming off your limited experience of Perth as fact. When I am walking my dogs along the coast I see probably at least 50 people walking, jogging or cycling during the hour I am out. When I am at my local sports centre on a Monday, Tuesday and Saturday watching my daughters play netball there is also hockey, AFL, soccer, cricket and little athletics and more running at the same time.

My son has joined a new team, had trials over 3 weeks 50 + boys on the park, and we're having a BBQ at point Walter at the weekend for the team to get to know each other ... i'm sure they won't be the only kids kicking a ball, playing cricket or generally running around. Even my hubby is thinking of coming out of retirement ... best get the heat spray ready lol

I am not saying there is none all I am saying is that I witness far more sports activity with adults and kids where I live to than where I lived in Oz.

Is that wrong in saying it :eek:

I am not saying there is none all I am saying is that I witness far more sports activity with adults and kids where I live to than where I lived in Oz.

Is that wrong in saying it :eek:

No it's not wrong, but the way you write make it sound like you're describing Perth in general, when being involved in a soccer club and previously running Rooball - I can tell you that there are heaps of kids playing sport, both in the north and south of the river. You only have to look at football west's junior league to see how many teams are invovled.

Guest guest17301

This is a great thread. I havent had time to read it all but the 1st few pages give you the gist of peoples feelings. I asked my 14 yr old her point of view just now, we came when she was 11. She says shed be just as happy back in the UK as here....but she likes it here....

5 year old...too young to ask but the differences I see are more outdoor play, more family fun...more relaxed parents maybe??? especially at the weekend? More good memories?....I dont know ask me in 20 years....

Guest guest17301

Could not disagree more on that one...theres runners/walkers/tennis players/cyclists bloody everywhere here, come rain or shine...WAY more than I ever saw in the UK....makes you feel guilty for being a lazy ass.

Could not disagree more on that one...theres runners/walkers/tennis players/cyclists bloody everywhere here, come rain or shine...WAY more than I ever saw in the UK....makes you feel guilty for being a lazy ass.

I would not call you a lazy ass :cute:

p.s You did live in Stoke :wink: I live in Stratford.

It is only what I witness fiona, around Stratford upon avon I just see so mant people running and cycling, far more than I did in Perth.

Because it is the constant moans with some people that you cannot do sports outside because of the weather which is just not true, that does gets my back up, in Fact Brisbane and other cities in Oz have far more annual rainfall than where I live.

It is relevant though that the rain falls in less days.

We hope to be moving out next year, at which point our Kids will be 8 and 9. We don't say that we are doing it for our kids, as we are definitely doing it for ourselves in equal measure.

But I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to live in America for 4 years when I was a similar age to my kids, and the experience was just fantastic!.. and it is the memory of these 4 years that has helped push the decision to give it a go down under, as I dearly want my kids to experience a different geography and lifestyle at an age that will benefit them greatly.

The move is an adventure that the whole family is looking forward to. an adventure born from a background that my wife and I have to experience life to the full!.. if we end up returning to the UK in a few years it will be because we all want to come back.. and hopefully the lasting lesson my kids will have taken from the whole experience is.... 'Suck the Juice out of life people - You don't get a second chance!'

So its not about security, its not about job prospects, its not about university, its not about anything!

Its about giving it a go!.. and letting the kids learn about the world!

... wow, just read that back - i'm not a hippy really

Exactly. We moved to Perth in 1999 because my oh was offered a job and we decided we'd go. The idea of living in one place all my life scared my witless. Our kids were nearly 5, 3 and 1.

We had a great time and came back four years later - again for work. Went to Sydney for a year again in 2009 and this time we came back because the older two girls were so unhappy at school there.

I now have two who prefer the UK and what it offers them and one who tells us she's going back to Australia as soon as she can.

I don't think either country neccessarily gives more opportunities for children, although I do agree that it's tricky here for new graduates and young people here at the moment (but it may be the same in Australia by the time ours finish their education and it may be better here - everything seems to be cyclical). It does depend what they enjoy doing.

Our lot have had trips to Germany, France, Romania and Greece in the last year with school and the combined cost is only fractionally more than our eldest doing one exchange trip to Germany from Sydney. Our eldest loves travel and learning about different cultures and languages. She has more opportunity for that here because we can afford 150 pounds to send her. It was more expensive in Australia and we found that exchange trips seemed to be open only to a selected few. The youngest loves everything about the ocean and what lives in it and would rather investigate it more where the water's generally warmer which is why she wants to go back to Australia.

I think it's a great experience for children to live in more than one place. The teachers at school have always commented on how knowledgeable the girls are about the world and I'm happy that we've been able to do it, I think the whole (except the last school!) experience has benefitted them, but I don't believe that the children they were at school with in Australia have had more or better opportunities than their counterparts in the UK or vice versa.

Guest Guest31881
They were out more in the winter snow to be honest, never seen so many bin lids knicked :eek:

That must have been a site to see, hundreds of wheelie bins with no lids. hard to imagine really.

We are moving out in 2 weeks time and are doing it for all of us, not just for the children. I hope that living in a different part of the world will give them a broader outlook on life and help them to see Britain as the rest of the world sees it. It should be exciting to experience life in a different country. And in a few years time they can chose to move back to the UK if they prefer it. My children were all asked and all said that they wanted us to move, so it isn't being forced upon them.

However, I do think that this could increase their opportunities. Around 50,000 youngsters last year were turned down for a place at University as there weren't enough places for them. If your child doesn't get into Uni there is very little chance at the moment of getting full time work. If they do go to Uni, it now costs around £50,000. (£27,000 fees, £23,000 living costs) for the 3 years which is out of the reach of many. Then many graduates are still looking for professional work after 6 months. Those who do find work are unlikely to be able to buy a house until in their late 30s.

As for the rain, it depends where you compare in Oz and in UK. Certainly in the midlands and South of England it can be quite dry. However, we live in Lancashire and I am fed up with the rain. More cricket matches are rained off than completed for my children's teams. The BMX racing is regularly cancelled due to rain in the summer and frozen ground or rain in the winter. I am looking forward to not having to deal with wet, muddy sports kits on a daily basis. I have experienced both the Perth beaches and Blackpool beach. Guess which I prefer. (BTW, I prefer not to have bitterly cold gale force winds and horizontal rain blowing into my face).

Hopefully my children will be able to use their mobile phones in public without fear of being mugged. We don't live in a particularly rough area but we have still had the experience of phones and bikes being taken while the children are out playing. Last week a man with a knife was picked up nearby by police after my son and his friends saw him pacing round in the dark carrying a knife.

I do wonder about whether in years to come they will look back and think that we have done the wrong thing. But if we didn't go, they might regret forever that we turned down such an opportunity. 'Grab your chances while you can because you never know what's around the corner.' - I have to practice what I preach.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

The Expat Explorer Survey focuses on expats’ experiences when bringing up children abroad.

The report looks at which focuses on six key global locations the best opportunities and experiences for their children.

Expats rated childcare, education, ease of integration, costs of raising children, time spent outside, and time spent taking part in outdoor activities. In addition, they also rated the relative ease in which they were able to do the following in their new country of residence.

Read The Full Report Here

Expat Survey Full Report

Key findings

One in three of the expats surveyed (31%) have dependent children (children under the age of 18) living with them abroad in a total of 26 different countries around the world.

Of the top six countries (UAE, US, UK, Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia), expats in Singapore are the most likely to have children who currently live with them (46%), while just a quarter (24%) of expats in the UK have dependent children.

Generally, 37% of expats have experienced an increase in the quality of family life since moving abroad. Of the top six countries, Australia had the largest proportion of expat parents (55%) who reported an improvement in the quality of family life compared with where they used to live.

Some expats reported that moving to the UK can have a negative effect on their family life – 45% reported a decline in quality compared with only 16% who reported an improvement.

Australia Takes Best Overall for Children

Of those countries surveyed as part of the Offshore Offspring report, expats living in Australia feel the country provides the best environment for healthy and active children. For example, parents report that these children are the most likely to spend more time outdoors than in their previous country. Children in Australia are more likely to have increased the amount of time spent playing sports (68% vs. 44% globally) and are also the most likely to spend less time watching TV and to eat healthily when compared with their home country; making Australia the best place for children to adopt a healthy way of living.

Read The Full Report Here

Expat Survey Full Report

Archived