Australian Beach Warnings - The SUN

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes I know you wouldn't think so, if you asked people what the dangers of going down to the beach are they would probably say being eaten by a shark etc, but the biggest danger is the SUN

[YOUTUBE]YzYHwzSE1VY[/YOUTUBE]

Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. We get friends and family coming over and every time I warn them not to stay out in the sun too long, 30 minutes is enough, and do they listen:no::no::no:

010807-sunburn.jpg

• Skin cancer now accounts for over 80 per cent of all cancer diagnosed in Australia.

• More than 440,000 Australians are diagnosed with skin cancer every year - 434,000 with non-melanoma skin cancer and 10,600 with melanoma.

• Over 1,600 people die from skin cancer each year.

• Skin cancer costs the health system around $300 million each year.

• On a fine January day in Australia, you can get burnt in less than 15 minutes.

• Each year, Australians are four times more likely to develop a common skin cancer than any other form of cancer.

This is why I never go to the beach after 10am or before 4pm BUT I think you will find that the UK has pretty high rates too.

Yes :( A person will die from skin cancer every four hours in the UK and a new case is diagnosed every four minutes.

Tbh since being in Australia we haven't sunbathed (sunbaked as the aussies say!) at all!

Edit: Just found this scary info ....

Skin cancer is claiming more lives in Britain than in Australia, according to new figures released today.

The death rate from the disease is more than a third higher here than it is Down Under. This is despite significantly more people in Australia being diagnosed with the most aggressive form of the condition.

Guest The Pom Queen
Yes :( A person will die from skin cancer every four hours in the UK and a new case is diagnosed every four minutes.

Tbh since being in Australia we haven't sunbathed (sunbaked as the aussies say!) at all!

It's funny we have sun everyday yet I'm as White as White can be :unsure:

Funniest thing i have seen for ages was 2 backpackers wearing rather tiny bikinis sunbathing under the UV rating sign in Cairns.:err:

The needle had bent past extreme to beyond absurd...and they were both quite happily laid there using the sign as a headrest.:eek:

Bikinis looked good tho:biggrin:

Guest The Pom Queen
Funniest thing i have seen for ages was 2 backpackers wearing rather tiny bikinis sunbathing under the UV rating sign in Cairns.:err:

The needle had bent past extreme to beyond absurd...and they were both quite happily laid there using the sign as a headrest.:eek:

We see it all the time down by the lagoon they are mad:no:

Guest guest17301

I think tbh being here you are more aware of the risks...

I have nursed melanoma patients and trust me...it aint pretty...but I used to have my 2 weeks in the sun when in the UK and get frazzled....

Here...Im not as careful as I should be but definitely dont go out into direct sunlight in Summer during the hottest part of the day, tbh you cant, it literally burns you instantly.

Beware the cloudy windy days on the beach....many a sunburnt chest and nose to be had....if you value your youthful decollette and face slap on the sunscreen. Im more lined than I was especially on my chest/neck (maybe Im paranoid) because of just everyday exposure to the sun, 20 mins and youre pink. Wear make up...yes it helps protect your face....

Must admit I like a nice tan though, looks good, feels good but oh so bad....tut tut

5 yr old is lilywhite though! Men...protect the back of your neck...wide brimmed hat essential.

Now if you'd been a gentleman you'd have offered to rub some sun lotion in (purely for their safety of course):wink:

Now if you'd been a gentleman you'd have offered to rub some sun lotion in (purely for their safety of course):wink:

Being a gentleman i was about too:wink:

but then a sharp elbow to the ribs reminded me i was a married gentleman:eek:

so i settled for walking by and tutting at the state of young people nowadays:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen

:laugh::laugh:

Being a gentleman i was about too:wink:

but then a sharp elbow to the ribs reminded me i was a married gentleman:eek:

so i settled for walking by and tutting at the state of young people nowadays:wubclub:

How many times and for how long did you walk by? And how many times did you 'tut?'

I am a great believer in the sun and the healing effects, I also believe a huge increase in skin cancer is due to sunscreen chemicals.

I do however think people who sunbake are crackers!!

I do not sunbathe, but do get my vit D most days spending 10-15 mins in the early or late sun, or going for early evening walks.

My kids are covered and use hats or the safest sunscreen I can find on long days we are out.

My youngest and eldest still glow white in the dark LOL

I have slight tanning from putting out washing but have yearly mole checks and am told my skin is in excellent codnition and not aging more than I am, infact its pretty good for my age.

My sister and mother in law however are sun goddesses.

They sit and bake

We did warn them with their factor 4, and the cloudy sky but they didnt listen and they all burnt ...

It may well be the case that the UK has a higher rate of skin cancer but lets face it the UK has 3 times the population in a country 30 times smaller than Oz! In the UK the weather is never truely fantastic and when it is everyone flocks to the beach and disregard the suncream as they want to see the reward for lazing around make the most of this little glimpse of sunshine!!!!

Myself i can only imagine a life of sunblock during the working week in Oz being in construction.

I bit of tan makes people feel great but its not worth it if it kills you!!

I struggle to sit out in the Sun here(WA) for more than 15 minutes, if im surfing im fine apart from the risk of shark attack.My local break is just half a k from where the 65 yr old got gobbled up last week. I get caught out on occasion cleaning the pool or cleaning the car.Should really do that kind of stuff in the evening though and not at 12 noon :eek:

can you get clothing like light weight long sleeved t shirts and leggings to go under t shirts and shorts that are protective against the sun, I know theres swimming stuff but not sure about clothing.............are wet suits protective?

thanks

Cal