When did you decide you were staying in Australia

TheBrammies

just a general post to find out when you decide australia was or wasn't for you,we have been here 2 years now and made some truly great friends ,work is going well (a bit too well)the children are happy but we still don't get the feeling that we will stay here we aren't unhappy so are just going to give it another year and then think again we may do this for the next 20 years who knows.

Guest Been there

0.497 nanoseconds after touchdown I knew it was 'right' and nearly 50 years later it still gets better day by day. If you can't handle change, stay in blighty!

It wasn't any particular moment or anything, it just sort of crept up on me. I just know that I feel more at home here than I have ever done in the UK. We have lived in this house in Australia for longer than we ever lived anywhere, we moved something like 9 times in 12 years and never found somewhere that we could truly call home. Here is home.

This March, the day before the in-laws went home from their visit, my father in-law siad he could never ask us to go back and thinks we would be mad to consider it. I told my wife after they left and we agreed that we would be staying here. In a strange way it made me kind of sad.

just a general post to find out when you decide australia was or wasn't for you,we have been here 2 years now and made some truly great friends ,work is going well (a bit too well)the children are happy but we still don't get the feeling that we will stay here we aren't unhappy so are just going to give it another year and then think again we may do this for the next 20 years who knows.

If it doesn't work out to be a long term thing, then you have had a great working holiday in another country, and can return home knowing you had a different experience. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest guest36187

At the end of two weeks, I had been working and mark was off. Came home, chilled out in the pool with a beer, looked at each other and knew.

Had a conversation and knew we were in! We both decided also that if something happened to the other person, we would stay too.

I'm fully immersed in the Green and gold army!!!! Lol

What :eek: you think you might have finally done it?

Yup think so!

Mum had a stroke a few days after we arrived, dad had a heart attack on Monday and out of hospital yesterday. I cannot say enough about the wonderful NHS which gave both of them absolutely amazing support. Anyway, dad cant drive for a month and he is technically mum's carer. DH saw what was going on and said he thought I should stay, he has gone back and is in the throes of tidying up and organizing so that he can come back too. Anyone want a nice little Ford Fiesta 2004, low miles, looks good????

Now to resign from work and try and get some sort of a deal from Qantas about giving me at least an undated return so I can go back for a bit of a holiday at some stage and tidy up my things.

Not the way I wanted it to happen but there is a silver lining to most bloody great black clouds!

Guest Been there
Yup think so!

Mum had a stroke a few days after we arrived, dad had a heart attack on Monday and out of hospital yesterday. I cannot say enough about the wonderful NHS which gave both of them absolutely amazing support. Anyway, dad cant drive for a month and he is technically mum's carer. DH saw what was going on and said he thought I should stay, he has gone back and is in the throes of tidying up and organizing so that he can come back too. Anyone want a nice little Ford Fiesta 2004, low miles, looks good????

Now to resign from work and try and get some sort of a deal from Qantas about giving me at least an undated return so I can go back for a bit of a holiday at some stage and tidy up my things.

Not the way I wanted it to happen but there is a silver lining to most bloody great black clouds!

Selling up?

Never. Always knew it wasnt going to be a forever place for me (33 years coming up and looks like I was right!!!)

I"m just like you Quoll, albeit it for different reasons. I came here for a holiday 33 years ago and the holiday has never stopped! Includes 12 years holiday back in the UK too, mind.

Yup think so!

sorry about the circumstances but really pleased that you are finally coming home and staying:hug:

Yup think so!

I did not see this post before I posted my more flippant one. Sorry to hear about your parents, Quoll.

I think I may have told you before, but, when I lost my job in Sydney in 1996, I was devastated, but my silver lining was being able to go back to Hampshire and look after my parents.

I think if my brothers had still been there I would have stayed but that is the way that things work out I guess.

Guest Brokenhearted
Yup think so!

Sorry to hear about your parents, Quoll. Wishing them a good recovery and hope you continue to get lots of help and support in looking after them :hug:

0.497 nanoseconds after touchdown I knew it was 'right' and nearly 50 years later it still gets better day by day. If you can't handle change, stay in blighty!

But then how would anyone know if they could handle it ... if they never tried it ??:skeptical:

Guest Been there
But then how would anyone know if they could handle it ... if they never tried it ??:skeptical:

Most people know deep down if they can handle change, most can't but are just not honest with themselves.

Archived