Adding a baby to a visa application

oidara

We are planning to lodge our visa application in December this year. We have a baby due in mid-late November and intend to include him on the application, however we won't yet have his passport at the time of the application.

Does this matter, or can passport copies and numbers be supplied at a later date? We will have his birth certificate.

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure you'll need his passport. We had to give passport numbers for all applicants when we lodged the application. Will there be a long delay getting a passport for him?

Kate.

Hi Kate,

We live in Austria, so we have to send the passport application to Dusseldorf. It takes at least 4 weeks, sometimes more.

I was wondering if we could just apply with his name at first and add his passport number a few weeks later...??

You will need a passport, I dont think the online application would let you lodge the application without one. When we got list of required documents to upload, we were all listed by DOB and passport no.

The only thing you could do is lodge the application without him then add him to application when you get the passport through. Think you fill in change of circumstances form 1022?

It costs nothing for the baby to be added on to application after it is lodged. But if your visa has been granted, then you need to get a seperate visa for the baby, and have to pay for this other visa.

But since you are already pregnant you wouldnt be able to get chest xrays done until after the baby is born so can be added on to existing application.

There are other threads regarding CO waiting for medicals due to pregnancy and getting the baby added on to the application.

As far as I understood, we don't have to do medicals until the final stage of the application, right? So, even if I apply while still pregnant, this won't be an issue in terms of chest x-rays as the baby will already be born by the time we get to the medicals stage.

I guess the question is whether you are allowed to apply for a visa AFTER the birth of a baby and not include the baby until the passport is received. We can't apply before the birth as we're waiting on our skills assessment, which should be arriving around the same time as the little one!

Time-scale wise, it would mean:

Mid-late Nov: Baby born

Early Dec: Visa lodged

Early Jan: Baby added to visa when passport comes through

Sound allowable???

Hi Oidara,

I'm not sure that that would work either because you need to list all your dependants, whether or not they are travelling with you and it would just seem a bit odd to DIAC if you are leaving him off then adding him again. Might over complicate things for you.

I think the online application will not let you submit application without passport number for all applicants. Possibly you could do it with a paper application? I'm not sure if they are processed more slowly or not ...

I think the best option would be to submit your application before the birth if you can get it in even the day before. Then immediately after birth submit the change of circumstance form to let DIAC know you've had a baby. You can then provide is passport number when passport comes in and all have medicals together at the same time. Make sure you do not finalise your application (i.e. do not submit medicals!) until baby is born for fear your application is granted before you have baby - this would mean separate application for baby €3,000 and 7 month wait!

Kate.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Any tips on getting in touch with DIAC? I have tried once before and, after 3 days, I just got a very general reply that didn't answer my question at all!

Was that by email or phone. Via email I would expect them to send a general response. You will probably have more success calling them

I would apply now, let diac know you are pregnant then add the baby after birth, they will wait for you to send all the required documents as they know it can take time.

People do this all the time, or fall pregnant during the process so DIAC are used to it. Why delay the application?

Thanks. If we get the skills assessment through before the birth, then that's what we'll do.

I just wonder what to do if the skills ass arrives between birth and receipt of passport. We can't just say I am pregnant if the baby is already born, but we won't have the passport details they want.

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would pass on this answer I got from DIAC in case it helps someone in a similar situation. Looks like we can apply without the passport number after all:

"If you lodge your application after your son is born you will be able to

include him in the application. You do not have to provide his passport

details at the time you lodge but should include a note stating that you

have applied for the passport and will forward the details when you obtain

them. You can then upload a copy of his passport to your application when

you get it."

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would pass on this answer I got from DIAC in case it helps someone in a similar situation. Looks like we can apply without the passport number after all:

"If you lodge your application after your son is born you will be able to

include him in the application. You do not have to provide his passport

details at the time you lodge but should include a note stating that you

have applied for the passport and will forward the details when you obtain

them. You can then upload a copy of his passport to your application when

you get it."

I know a number of people who have spoken to someone rather than waiting for an accurate response via email

That's worked out ok for you

Yes, I was really surprised by the quick and relevant response! Like I said, last time I tried to ask a question to DIAC, I got a totally irrelevant copy-and-paste response, hence why I asked here first instead. I am pleasantly surprised (and also grateful to everyone who posted their experiences here, of course :wink:!).

Hi everyone,

Did they explain how to do this? I'm doing a 176 online application and I've tried to add my 3 week old daughter but the form doesn't allow you to add a dependent without filling in the passport section. :eek:

I tried to do it too, just to check it works, but I had the same problem. Looks like it's not as easy as I thought!

I have emailed them again and will let you know if I get an answer. If you figure out how to do it, please let me know!

Congrats on your daughter too!

I just tried it again and put in a dummy passport number (00000000) plus dummy start and expiry dates. Then it allows me to save the form. I don't know if this is okay or not, but I guess if you add a note like I was advised, then it should be. Good luck!

Actually I might call DIAC in the week about this as I can't see how to add a note to the electronic application and you do have to certify that the information you are providing is correct as you fill in each section.

Congrats on your daughter too!
Thank you, she is wonderful and will no doubt be an effective alarm clock for getting up to call Adelaide as she already seems to be on Australian time :SLEEP:

Archived